Squier Hierarchy??

FoonkySteve

• Members

Ok. What is the general concensus around here as to what kind of order Squier models/origin of manufacture go?

So...... All i (think) i know is:

Top of the pile = MIJ 80s - 90s ?

Then where sits; CIC, Made in Indonesian, Korean, etc...?

Then there's the indiviual series: affinity, bullet, se, standard, CV, VM, artist, etc..?

2 reasons for asking:

1. my buddy just won a CIC2001 Squier Strat on ebay, and is asking me how it will compare to his MIJ Squier. (it's not really his MIJ, he has it on long term loan, and is feeling guilty about not having his own guitar, hence the ebay score)

2. I am just about to score tonight (local ad) an unknown Squier with an amp, stand, gig bag, and let's not forget the all important pics! for a mere

• Members

I would judge each guitar on it's own merits, rather then search for a heirarchy.

As an example, I love pink guitars and bought just for {censored}s and giggles, a Bullet Squire pink Strat. It costs $119.

The neck is straighter then most Fenders I have owned. It stays in tune ridiculously, even with the nasty basic tuners it has. The neck pocket is tighter then most Fenders I have seen, and it actually has a good, lightweight, resonant body.

If I replaced the all hardware and entire electric assembly, it would be a terrific guitar to play out, but to spend 2-3 times what the actual guitar is worth, is not a good idea.

• Members

I don't think the MIJ 80s - 90s are top of the pile anymore. Some of the new sqiers out of China and Indonesia have better quality everything than those old ones.

Good stuff's this is what im after. So......... some of the current stuffs, are as good as The highly regarded MIJ's? Is this like 'a really good time' to buy a new squier?

Also i didn't know they were made out of both China and Indonesia Just now!? Does one origin make a particular series and then the other , another series?

Keep the info coming, i'm learning more!

• Members

The "Vintage Modified" series is usually made in Indonesia and stuff like the classic vibes are MIC. There may be exceptions but not that I know of. From my experience, MIIs have unfinished necks while the MICs have the dipped-in-a-vat-of-molten-plastic style necks. Also the VM series sport the Duncan Designed pickups, which are apparently hit and miss :idk: My duncan designed p90s in my telecustom 2 are some of the best ive ever hear tho... love that thing.

• Members

I'm far from an expert but the fit and finish on my recently acquired Indonesian Jaguar is really nice. I didn't have to do anything beyond set the intonation. At the moment I have no upgrades planned. I really don't think it needs any.

• Members

I would judge each guitar on it's own merits, rather then search for a heirarchy.

As an example, I love pink guitars and bought just for shits and giggles, a Bullet Squire pink Strat. It costs $119.

The neck is straighter then most Fenders I have owned. It stays in tune ridiculously, even with the nasty basic tuners it has. The neck pocket is tighter then most Fenders I have seen, and it actually has a good, lightweight, resonant body.

If I replaced the all hardware and entire electric assembly, it would be a terrific guitar to play out, but to spend 2-3 times what the actual guitar is worth, is not a good idea.

My Squier Bullet is actually my "go to" strat these days. Picked it up at a pawn shop for $70 and it had an after market pickguard with CS Texas Specials in it...:D

[video=youtube;-nSsPT3Uzis]

• Members

Also the VM series sport the Duncan Designed pickups, which are apparently hit and miss
:idk:
My duncan designed p90s in my telecustom 2 are some of the best ive ever hear tho... love that thing.

We are Tele Custom ii brothers! I got's the blonde one too, i frikin love that guitar it plays soooo well, although i am not as keen on the p90's.:eek:

• Members

Putting my flame suit on....

Quality in order from my experience

1. MIJ / CIJ by a wide margin. I'm sorry but none of the newer stuff can touch it.

2. Korean MIK Pro Tone Series

3. CV Series

4. VM Series

5. Squier Standard

6. Affinity

7. Bullet

There are various countries of origin and factories for several of these. Personally I've found the CY or Yako made Chinese Squiers to be much better than their price. There are some good Indonesian ones like the VM Series but the Indonesian Affinitys are crap compared to the Chinese ones.

Anything can and has been built for a price point and every factory is capable of whatever quality Fender wants to pay for.

• Members

We are Tele Custom ii brothers! I got's the blonde one too, i frikin love that guitar it plays soooo well, although i am not as keen on the p90's.
:eek:

You dont like the p90s!!?? :o

I love the ones in mine, would be the perfect pickups if they were humcancelling, but unfortunately thats not how it works *sigh*

Ive been tempted to try putting some mini hums in it but i cant justify changing a guitar im so happy with, maybe you should give it a shot? :thu:

• Members

Putting my flame suit on....

Quality in order from my experience

1. MIJ / CIJ by a wide margin. I'm sorry but none of the newer stuff can touch it.

2. Korean MIK Pro Tone Series

3. CV Series

4. VM Series

5. Squier Standard

6. Affinity

7. Bullet

There are various countries of origin and factories for several of these. Personally I've found the CY or Yako made Chinese Squiers to be much better than their price. There are some good Indonesian ones like the VM Series but the Indonesian Affinitys are crap compared to the Chinese ones.

Anything can and has been built for a price point and every factory is capable of whatever quality Fender wants to pay for.

I'd slightly modify for the reasons noted:

1. MIK Pro Tone - These were absolutely blingy and top notch quality. I think almost every model had upgradse like double binding, translucent finishes, painted headstock, aged parts, gold hardware(when it enhanced the looks). Squier really took a custom look approach to these instruments.

2. MIJ/CIJ - Needless to say, these guitars eventually carried the full fledged Fender logo.

Everything else I 100% agree.

• Members

I played a Classic Vibe strat and thought it was better than a MIM Fender Strat sitting right next to it. I might've played a bad MIM though, because that was literally one of the worst necks I've ever played on. Might just be a bad setup... Point is, I really liked the Classic Vibe.

• Members

I've probably owned more Squiers than most and my money still goes to the Standard Series or the old MIM Fender Squier Series (although EVERY seller on ebay SWEARS their Squier Series is NOT a Squier).
:)

You mean this?

rss05.jpg

Even Fender said that they are Fenders with the small squier series sticker.

• Members

I don't think the MIJ 80s - 90s are top of the pile anymore. Some of the new sqiers out of China and Indonesia have better quality everything than those old ones.

Sorry, but that sounds like the view of someone who's never tried one of the 80s MIJs. They are like night and day compared to the new MIC and MII models. I know, I've owned and tried Squier 51s and Classic Vibes. The latter are great, but nothing even touches my 83 MIJ:

4803600858_c264e5e056_z.jpg

Archived