Are rolling string trees a better than the W shaped ones?

Disco Cat

• Members

Think of it this way...the less friction you have between both ends of the string, the better the guitar is most likely to stay in tune.

Given the chance to choose between the two kinds of string trees, I'd go for the roller types, personally.

• Members

I had a MIM Strat that had a bad tree (probably a burr on the underside, maybe some rust..) which was causing the G string to bind. I replaced it with a roller tree and never had another tuning issue out of the thing. So yes, roller trees are a good thing.

• Members

I've never had any problems with the standard 'W' ones... if it ain't broke......
yet, then it eventually will be..

Fixed it for ya...

Some people like to be proactive and stop the problem before it starts. Other people wait for it to happen and then react.

• Members

Fixed it for ya...

Some people like to be proactive and stop the problem before it starts. Other people wait for it to happen and then react.

Most of the time, there is too much pressure on those roller to roll. It's a gimmick and they look bad.

I have used the standard string trees forever. I have a graphtech one from a long time ago and it might do something, but I don't have problems with the bent metal ones.

I have put graphite or vaseline on them to "address a problem before it starts", but I have found that the problem is generally that they are cranked down too far. When you pull the strings down on the nut with too much tension, it binds there. Try a taller spacer or an extra so that you're not "retaining" the string too much.

Or buy some of those ugly roller ones and do the same thing.

• Members

Most of the time, there is too much pressure on those roller to roll. It's a gimmick and they look bad.

I have used the standard string trees forever. I have a graphtech one from a long time ago and it might do something, but I don't have problems with the bent metal ones.

I have put graphite or vaseline on them to "address a problem before it starts", but I have found that the problem is generally that they are cranked down too far. When you pull the strings down on the nut with too much tension, it binds there. Try a taller spacer or an extra so that you're not "retaining" the string too much.

Or buy some of those ugly roller ones and do the same thing.

What's ugly about them?

fenderheadstock.jpg

5nmyr7.jpg

They have a cleaner and nicer look to me than the normal W ones:

5mil-strat-3.jpg

68-2.jpg

I think the graphite ones are super ugly and took them off my guitar for that reason:

trees.jpg

Archived