Have you ever forgotten a song at a gig?

Faber

• Members

Sure I have. As a result I usually keep a cheat book sitting on the floor. In the band I front, which does my originals, the cheat book has lyrics. In the bands where I'm a side man and we're doing others' originals, the book contains the chord changes only. So far I haven't had a problem remembering the chord changes to my own songs, or my backing vocal parts in my side bands.

I've forgotten lyrics before, and I've used the cheat book strategy. Sometimes when I've forgotten lyrics, though, it's improvised solo time! Doesn't happen very often any more, but it did when I was a young player.

• Members

What the hell are you talking about?
:confused:

How odd. That doesn't appear to be linking where it's supposed to link.

Anyway, there's a thread right now on TGP about how there's this busker who never finishes his songs, and the OP finds it really annoying, yadda yadda, so I was attempting to imply that you were that busker, because that would be funny, because you said "no one's the wiser", but there's a whole thread over there complaining about a guy who never finishes his songs, etc., etc., attempt at humor, never mind, carry on.

• Members

Hell yeah it's happened to me a few times over the years. There's nothing worse than standing on stage looking at your mates and saying "what key is this in?" even though you've done the song 9 million times.
:facepalm:

All our setlists have the key right next to the song title ... mainly for our harp player, who has to make sure he always has the right harp in hand before we kick the next tune.

Archived