would you buy a guitar that was in a car accident?

g400man

• Members

I guess it depends on how you look at it. You can look at it from the morbid perspective, or you can look at it as a positive. The previous owner has passed on, but you get to honor him by continuing to use his guitar, which he no doubt was quite fond of.

I look at it this way... after I croak, I hope my cars wind up in the hands of people who appreciate them and enjoy them just as much as I do. Perhaps this fella would have felt the same way about his guitar.

Or he'll kill you in your dreams. It's your call.

This is what I think. I hope that after I die, my guitars are given to someone who will play them and enjoy them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You guys are missing the point. The dude died in the car with the guitar in a horrible wreck of twisted metal. This isn't a normal case of someone dying of old age and his guitars getting sold

I assume he wasn't impaled by the headstock.

What the hell is suppose to happen to the guitar then? Become one of those gaudy roadside memorials?

Some people may be freaked out by it, everyone is a little superstitious, but it's not like you are buying a bloody candlestick found next to Mr. Body in the conservatory.

• Members

no superstitions anyone? guitar could be cursed! a stephen king novel follows this guitar through all of it's owners and each chapter shows the gruesome way each player died. In the end, it's found out that the guitar had been stolen from hell and was the property of BON SCOTT and he has put a curse on anyone who owns it!

but for the brief time any player does own the guitar, he will be the greatest riff-master of the universe until his untimely death!

• Members

no superstitions anyone? guitar could be cursed! a stephen king novel follows this guitar through all of it's owners and each chapter shows the gruesome way each player died. In the end, it's found out that the guitar had been stolen from hell and was the property of BON SCOTT and he has put a curse on anyone who owns it!

but for the brief time any player does own the guitar, he will be the greatest riff-master of the universe until his untimely death!

So basically "The Red Violin" but with a blue guitar . . . .

• Members

guys i got the pics of it. it's quite scratched, from body shot it appears clean, up close though different story. the whole backside has scratches and even very thin chips, just into the finish, the chips are a different blue on teh backside, let me see if i can post some pics of it

• Members

This makes me think of a 64 Vette my Dad almost bought- the owner had been shot in the car, but other than needing a new drivers seat and a good cleaning it was incredible- he passed on that one, but he thought about it......I'd buy the guitar if it plays nicely.

• Members

you can see the chips on teh neck and back, but see from the front it looks good until you get real close and see scratches, not chips, though there is a small chip to the left of the input jack, right where the natural body binding is

but what do you think? this guitar is $1100, but it comes with no documentation, so its assuming its a prs custom 22 artist, and im pretty sure artist auto means its a ten top

• Members

Hard to tell by those pics. But chips and scratches are how poly wears, it's plastic. The scratches can be buffed out, but there isn't a great way to repair chips (some people use cyanoacrylate...super glue...but it takes a master to blend it right)

That's a great price. A clean, mint, used Custom 22 (not an Artist) go for $1400 if you keep an eye out.

Personally, I would skip a chipped PRS. But no matter how good a deal it is, I don't need it and $1100 is $100 out of pocket. And feel of chips on a neck can be distracting to some while playing.

• Members

im not exactly turned on by the gold, like at all. im just looking ofr a prs for $1500 or less. and this is only 1100, so yeah

Well, thinking about it, the transparent blue dye on back is a deal break for me. Though for a PRS the other option would have been opaque black, which doesn't appeal to me either (that's what my '92 had)

Archived