luke978

• Members

Im looking at the

Galaxie 4:

DV019_Jpg_Regular_512625.885_silver_spar

or

Italia Modena Standard:

DV019_Jpg_Regular_514441.003_green.jpg

I want a good rock/bluesy kind of guitar. I've had nothing but 24.5 humbucker guitars.

Any opinions or experience with any of these manufacturers?

• Members

If you're intentionally going for uniqueness, then you're at the right place.

As far as I know, both companies put out good quality product, you should be safe with buying either. Would really depend if you favor minibuckers or single coils I suppose.

• Members

I have that exact DiPinto and it is a very nice sounding guitar. It brings a lot of the Fender Jazzmaster style and tone to the table but with more tonal options and a bit more of a modern edge to the tone. Their coils are pretty hot.

I went for the over the top sparkle of that LS model, but if you want more of an every day player there's also -

DV016_Jpg_Large_512626.056_sunburst.jpg

There also used to be a greenburst model which I think might have been their best looking one.

Galaxy4_green.jpg

I have no experience with the Italia's

But I often think folks should consider the DiPinto G-4 before they start looking at the Fender import JMs. I just think that with the tone you get out of them both, the DiPinto is a better value.

[video=youtube;dL7uMfiae-M]

• Members

Im leaning toward the Galaxie. I really like the sparkle version, but the orange is pretty cool too. How stable is the trem?

Don't really know what to say about that, it's your typical Jazzmaster style trem.

Here's a pic of mine.

Galaxie4.jpg

• Members

I can only speak for the few Italias I've demoed in stores. Fine instruments for the price range, all of them. Just can't get into their rather retro-campy appearance. I prefer mostly traditional "vanilla" finishes: black, red, white, TV yellow , trad bursts, etc :rawk:

• Members

I'd say I could weigh in on this, since I have these...

ItaliaModena1.jpg

DiPintoGalaxie4.jpg

As well as..

ItaliaMondial1.jpg

DpMach41.jpg

I'd say the DiPinto is twangier, for sure. The mini hums in the Modena are bluesier, imo. Quality on both is great, no complaints, and there are deals on used ones, on ebay. Which is the only reason I have these four!! -Adam

The

• Members

I'd say I could weigh in on this, since I have these...

DpMach41.jpg

I have one of those too, but in the white. Those are a great guitar too. It's neat the way it can sound blues from the neck, harder rock from the bridge and still sound twangy with both p'ups on. I came very close to also buying a used red sparkle 12 string Mach XII, but someone beat me to it just as I was calling in the order to M123.

WhiteGuitars.jpg

• Members

Im leaning toward the Galaxie. I really like the sparkle version, but the orange is pretty cool too. How stable is the trem?

I also have the LS model of the Galaxie 4. The trem is very stable. These come stock with roller bridges. Much more stable than my Jazzmaster. As GAS Man said, they have many tonal options. I got mine on a trade and was really surprised with the quality of the guitar.

• Members

Thanks alot for the info. Those DiPinto's just ooze cool. Are there any other oddball guitars out there in 25.5" scale I should consider? My budget is $650.

You can peruse the Eastwood catalog.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/

Personally, I hope to once again have enough GAS money funding to get the Eastwood Arline MAP in Surf Green with their single coil pickups.

Like you could order something like this specifying their single coils as an add on option. They told me before that they'd charge an extra hundred (instead of $200 if bought separately) if I ordered it direct that way.

gtr_Sunb-airl3P-DLX.jpg

• Members

The eastwoods are cool, but i've read about some spotty QC. I don't know if thats still true, but its enough to put me off.

Hmmm, I have absolutely zero first hand knowledge of them, but hadn't read that here on the boards. I thought they fell into that "good value" category along with guitars like DiPinto. :idk: But then again, my recollections seems to be that most of the + comments I've read here are about their Sidejack.

gtr_Grn-sidejackDLX2.jpg

But it's vids like this (and maybe seeing Jack White playing some of the originals) that's sparked my interest in them.

[video=youtube;KPw6QaMFx-0]

But that don't matter, cuz I wouldn't try to deter you from the G-4. ;)

• Members

Pretty well balanced IIRC. I'd get mine out and double check for you, but it's buried in the "vault" right now and I'm old tired and lazy to go try and dig it out. But one point of interesting note on those is that the bridge is two single coils wired together in series (vs parallel IIRC) and they definitely can be adjusted separately for height. So there's some interesting little tonal adjustments you can make my raising/lowering the front or back of that p'up.

Archived