There are a lot of cheap guitar hoarders here

eroom

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm part of the club where I want one REALLY nice guitar over a bunch of cheapies

but...

some people like the tonal variations of a BUNCH of guitars without spending a lot of money

they dont really see why you should spend $1000+ on a guitar when a $500 can do the job or at least get you close

just my observations

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

let's not start that fight again
;)

Some people prefer less guitars, of higher quality

Others can't get past the awesome ratio quality/cost and splurge on cheap guitars.

Bottom line? It takes all kinds, and as long as people play 'em, it's all good
:)

I'm not trying to start anything. I've just seen a lot of people here that seem like they buy a lot of inexpensive guitars. There's nothing wrong with it. I just can't imagine having the time to play all of em', as oppossed to just having a few, that you have time to use,

• Members

Originally posted by eroom

I've noticed that there a lot of you here that buy a whole lot of cheap guitars for your collections. Why buy 20 Agiles, Squiers, and knock off guitars, when you could own a few really nice guitars?

I've been playing less than 2 years so I can't justify a $1000 guitar. But...

I can learn A TON by buying a few cheapies, experimenting with different body styles, necks, tones, pickups, etc and modding them as I wish.

And its a GREAT hobby :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members

I agree with what was said earlier, if you dont own all different walks of guitars how will you know what you truly like, and want to spend $1000 on?

Its like you go into a chinese food restaurant, you love sweet and sour chicken you claim its your favorite delicacy there. Yet, you have tried nothing else on the menu.

• Members

I've got 20 guitars right now. I just sold my Gretsch Hot Rod and dumped my Gibsons last year. Didn't see much point in having expensive guitars that I couldn't bear to see dinged, sounded the same or worse than my cheaper ones, and I hate nitro.

I'm quite happy with my MIJ and MIK guitars!!!! Especially my Elitists!

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Didn't see much point in having expensive guitars that I couldn't bear to see dinged

Excellent point - I used to be into Muscle cars (had a 71 Cuda). It was a 20-footer and I was very comfortable knowing that I could enjoy it and that it wasn't one scratch away from losing its trailer-queen status.

• Members

Im not worthy of a high price guitar. If i could play and played regularly then maybe but its just not that important to me to have a high end guitar. Im happy with a lower end guitar and it sounds fine to me. Good guitars = case queens for me.

• Members

The point is, that many will spend the equivalent of several nice guitars, on 15-20 inexpensive guitars. It's one thing to have that many guitars for tonal variation, but the reality is, that the classified boards are filled with these types of guitars. They are just being bought, and turned over constantly. I don't get it. Unless you're a beginner, and don't really know exactly what you want. To each his own I guess.

• Members

two reasons:

one - if you can be just as happy spending less money to get the sound you want (key word, want), then why put more money into something you dont need or want?

two - lots of us cant afford them expensive guitars, so yeah. we HAVE to like what we have, otherwise we have to spend even MORE money

• Members

I'm not trying to start anything. I've just seen a lot of people here that seem like they buy a lot of inexpensive guitars. There's nothing wrong with it. I just can't imagine having the time to play all of em', as oppossed to just having a few, that you have time to use

I have a bunch. Certainly more than I "need." If I sold them all I could maybe buy 3 or 4 super "nice" guitars.

I would find that really boring though.

I have 2 guitars I keep mainly for sentimental reasons, both of which I've owned for over 25 years, and both of which are my two oldest guitars (1960 and 1973). Both have some issues and one is never gigged and the other only very rarely gigged.

The other ones are of varied price paid and quality, though all are gigworthy. A few are of high enough quality and even with the US brand names to be recognized as such ('52 RI Tele, LP Classic, LP Studio DC, Hamer USA Special, Ric 620, Peavey T-60), and most of the rest are of at least recognizable brand names and still high quality imports (Fender MIM, Fernandes Ravelle, DeArmond, MIJ Squier, Gretsch Electromatic, etc.).

I play weekly in church, and in two all-original local bands, one that plays punk rock (my main band) and one that plays roots rock (side band). Each of the rock bands plays about once a month. So between 4 church services and two rock shows, that's 6 public performances a month. If I bring 3 guitars to a show (I usually bring two guitars and a bass to church, and two or three guitars to a rock show), I can go through the lot monthly, and that's not even including practices.

I'm pretty good about rotating them. No use having them if I'm not playing them.

Bottom line: having a batch is fun to me.

BK

GuitarCollage.jpg

• Members

I've noticed that there a lot of you here that buy a whole lot of cheap guitars for your collections. Why buy 20 Agiles, Squiers, and knock off guitars, when you could own a few really nice guitars?

i have seen this too although i never thought it was wrong.

i see this on firearm boards i visit also.

some people have 5 of the same exact gun. some people have 50 handguns but only 2 hands. some times they dont even fire the damn things

i find it is easier for me to become proficiant on one thing than try to become ok one a whole bunch of different things.

i have 1 bass, my ric 4003

1 guitar, epihone lp standard

1 12 ga

1 44mangum

1 38 special

i got all i will ever need guitar wise and if you try to take them

well

say hello to my little friend

:D

• Members

The point is, that many will spend the equivalent of several nice guitars, on 15-20 inexpensive guitars. It's one thing to have that many guitars for tonal variation, but the reality is, that the classified boards are filled with these types of guitars. They are just being bought, and turned over constantly. I don't get it. Unless you're a beginner, and don't really know exactly what you want.

I've been playing since the early 70's, and in bands pretty much since 1980 on.

BK

• Members

I'm guilty of "hoarding" but my stable runs from nice to cheap. No Agiles though

From the inventory list:

Artisan EA-1 Electric Lap Steel

CORDOBA FCWE "GYPSY KING"

DANELECTRO 56-PRO

DiPINTO GALAXIE 4 - LOS STRAITJACKET MODEL

DiPINTO MACH IV

EPIPHONE '58 KORINA EXPLORER

EPIPHONE ELITIST LES PAUL STANDARD

ESP ECLIPSE

FENDER JAZZMASTER

FENDER MIJ 60's STRATOCASTER W TEXAS SPECIAL P/U

FENDER TELECASTER - VINTAGE SERIES 1952 REISSUE

FENDER '90's TELECASTER CUSTOM

FENDER '62 REISSUE JAGUAR

FENDER CUSTOM TELECASTER SPECIAL

FENDER 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE STRATOCASTER

FENDER SHOWMASTER HH BLACKOUT

FENDER P-BASS SPECIAL

FENDER - '72 DELUXE TELECASTER REISSUE

FENDER DELUXE NASHVILLE TELECASTER (ASH)

FRAMUS ACOUSTIC

GIBSON 335-DOT

GIBSON LES PAUL JUNIOR SPECIAL

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO

GIBSON NIGHTHAWK SP-3

GIBSON LES PAUL JUNIOR

GIBSON SG '61 REISSUE

IBANEZ JOE SATRIANI JS-100

JACKSON DK2S

MANUEL RODRIGUEZ CLASSICAL

MARTIN 00028EC

OVATION APPLAUSE TRAVEL CLASSICAL

PARKER FLY

PAUL REED SMITH CE-22 BOLT

PEAVEY REACTOR

RICKENBACKER 381V69

SQUIER '51

SQUIER TELE CUSTOM !!

SQUIER AFFINITY TELECASTER SPECIAL

STEINBERGER GT PRO

TAKAMINE JASMINE 12-STRING

WILSON BROS VENTURES VM-75

YAMAHA SBG700S

YAMAHA RGS A2

They range from dirt cheap $60 for the Artisan Lap Steel on up.

But I just get attracted to certain features and tonal variations. It's just like having my own toy store, but I do want to sell three of them.

:D But in answer to the origninal post, I'm more comfortable playing mid priced instruments. I tend to "hoard" and not play the pricier ones.

Still need a Gretsch, decent dreadnaught acoustic, and a twelve string electric, probably another Rickenabacker. Maybe a baritone.

And then I'll be done.:freak:

First one is from 1966, then 1984, then I got on a roll in the mid 90's. I'll eventually thin them down to a favorite handfull.

• Members

Many of my friends are tend to collect cheapies. They do have their place, and many are great for the money, in particular yamaha guitars. However, at this point I tend to get far fewer guitars, but the ones I do get are those that "call" me. There is a certain American Vintage 60s strat that is currently on my list.

• Members

Most hobbies involve an 'acquisitive' tendency. Nothing wrong with it, it's just a fact of life. And anyway, to each his own - if someone wants to own 150 guitars, good for them.

Personally I find reading these forums incredibly GAS producing. I own three very nice guitars and that's arguably two too many, given my skill level and the amount of time I can devote to them. But I still feel the urge to buy stuff after reading about it here. Whenever I feel the urge to buy something, I remember what a friend said to me about this recently: It's easier to buy guitars than to play them. That usually calms me down.

• Members

I have Anderson, Melancon, Rickenbacker, Martin, several USA G&L's,Gibsons, Fenders, AND I have DeArmonds, Squiers, Epiphones, Hohner, Electromatic, etc.

I hoard guitars.

I love bargains.

I get a great deal of satisfaction out of playing a cheap guitar that, through love and a tweak or two here and there, plays like a monster.

• Members

I used to feel the same way, but I've changed my mind. A lot of the stuff coming out of Korea and China is unbelievably well made for the price. I mean, $160 for an Agile AL2500 is just stupidly cheap for a very playable LP knock off (from what I've heard). There's no doubt that the U.S. companies have had to change their marketing approach, targeting well-heeled baby boomers with their overpriced custom shop guitars and moving their standard lines to Mexico and China.

I love my two custom shop guitars, and anyone on this board would be able to feel and hear the difference between them and their Chinese counterparts, but are they really worth $5000 collectively?

I detest the fact that to get an authentic Strat or Les Paul, you have to go the custom shop route. I mean, it's stupid that Gibson isn't selling their 50 year old model as a standard production line guitar. So to begin with, the current American Series Strats and Les Paul Standards aren't really authentic anyway--so why not get a Korean or Chinese version for 1/3 of the price?

• Members

I went the "few really nice guitars" route in the late 80's and the jack-of-all-trades guitar route in the late 90's. It didn't work for me since I like a lot of tonal and stylistic variation.

I also prefer to treat a guitar like a tool, not an investment. Like someone else said, I don't want to worry about a guitar getting a first ding on a AAAAA top. I want something that I can feel comfortable with in many kinds of situations.

Archived