Painting a guitar from unfinished: Educate me!

Skyforger

• Members

I spotted Phil's (I think) Ibanez modding thread and it revealed that finishing a body is a lot more complex than I'd originally thought.

So, before my RR build kit comes, educate me in the ways of finishing, so that I don't screw this one up!

Thanks,

-J

• Members

It involves a lot of sanding. Like a ridiculous amount. Start with like 100grain, move up to 600 until the body is smooth as glass, then a sealer like lacquer or primer. Then more {censored}ing sanding with fine grain. Then another coat or 2 or sealer and more sanding. Then paint, then clearcoat finish. That's the basics anyway, I'm sure someone with more experience can fill in the details.

• Members

Duplicolor is another option. Good acrylic lacquer that looks nice and is easy to use.

My best advice is to go get some scrap wood now and some cheap cans of wal mart paint and practice before you start on your guitar.

You WILL make mistakes...better to do them on a piece of junk plywood than your guitar.

Let {censored} DRY completely before moving on. There's a LOT of waiting to get a nice finish.

If it's a rough grain wood, use grain filler. If you don't, the paint will sink into the the grain in a couple of years no matter how smooth it is today.

Water base grain fillers will shrink. Put on one application, sand and wait for it to shrink, then do another.

EG

• Members

Oh....and use testors one-coat lacquers for your finish. Sprayed a swatch yesterday, and its very user friendly and looks great.....

If that is Testor's as sold in hobby shops, the paint is very soft. They use a lot less reducer/hardener for model painting since models aren't made to be handled. You'll need to topcoat with a high solids lacquer for durability.

• Members

If that is Testor's as sold in hobby shops, the paint is very soft. They use a lot less reducer/hardener for model painting since models aren't made to be handled. You'll need to topcoat with a high solids lacquer for durability.

Sprayed a swatch yesterday and clearcoated it with one step clear.......passed the fingernail test in about 3 hours.........

• Members

Lotsa details here:

BTW, the ReRanch products are fantastic - check out the gallery at

(not a shill, just repainted a guitar a few years ago with their stuff - it takes a lot of patience!)

bc

Definitely check out Reranch, their products, and also their forums, lots of good finishing info and a great group of formites willing to help.

• Members

What type of wood is the kit body made of. You only have to sand the body to 300 grit is plenty fine. Use a block to keep things level and don't sand the corners.

It's poplar, apparently. I've no experience with this wood. My current guitars are alder, maple, mahogany, basswood or ply. Not bad for a total of $237 (

• Members
  • Members

I think you want this:

Ah, thank you very much! That solves my lacquer problem, now I just have to sift through many shades of white to find the right whiteness that I'm after...

My sister intends to use acrylic paint on top of the white coat. This should be fine to lacquer over so long as the artwork doesn't have any bumps or bubbles, right?

Archived