Did someone name their Xaviere tele "Gertie" and trade it to GC?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

hah. Maybe it's been rewired with solid gold connections. They're usually pretty good, but they're kinda shady sometimes. They offered me $200 bucks for my Gibson LP studio because it had a broken tuner and needed the pots cleaned, probably woulda sold it for a grand. I got 700 on craigslist.

• Members

There aren't many places to sell guitars in NY. Theres guitar center and the few indie shops that sell $5000 vintages. Maybe you could sell them on a blanket on canal st. Haha there's a guy who does almost that exact thing actually. Ever see the guitar sales outside the bar in greenpoint? He advertises on CL sometimes.

• Members

There aren't many places to sell guitars in NY. Theres guitar center and the few indie shops that sell $5000 vintages. Maybe you could sell them on a blanket on canal st. Haha there's a guy who does almost that exact thing actually. Ever see the guitar sales outside the bar in greenpoint? He advertises on CL sometimes.

:facepalm: If you think there aren't enough places to sell guitars in NYC, your definitely not looking hard enough.

• Members

Asking and getting can be two very differant things. ;) I once bought a cap & ball revolver and the first time I fired it the cylinder locked up, timing pin broke. Took it back to the store and they wouldn't send it off to be fixed but they did refund my money. Kinda sucked because I liked the model and it was the only one they had. Just a week later I stopped at the same store just to browse and kill some time. Low and behold there in the display case was the same model revolver. When I asked to see it the salesman informed me it had a defect and needed work. Yeah, same revolver I had returned. What burned my ass was that they now wanted $20 more for it broken than the original price. I had since found a friend who could fix it for me so I asked to talk to the manager. Told them the full story of how I had bought it, returned it because of the defect, but that I would be interested in buying it back for a discounted price. The jerk wouldn't come down a dime even knowing he was caught ripping people off. I had frequented his store many times before but never again after that. Greedy people just aren't my thing I guess.

• Members

Do you do black powder? I've considered trying out black powder revolvers, but I dunno how difficult or expensive it is.

Black Powder is nice, but it's messy when you clean. Plus, you gotta grease the front of your cylinders to prevent chain fire. I always enjoyed SAA with cowboy loads more.

• Members

Black Powder is nice, but it's messy when you clean. Plus, you gotta grease the front of your cylinders to prevent chain fire. I always enjoyed SAA with cowboy loads more.

Yeah, I've got a couple SAs, I just wondered about being a little more authentic. Read the instructions, which looked a little lengthy, but I supposed if you described climbing out of bed in detail it would be, too.

• Members

Yeah, I've got a couple SAs, I just wondered about being a little more authentic. Read the instructions, which looked a little lengthy, but I supposed if you described climbing out of bed in detail it would be, too.

I used to do CW re-enacting. Most of the guys I knew who were officers carried pistols, but didn't load them. If they did (power only, no ball!), they generally didn't fire them unless the knew the videographers were filming them.

Each chamber has to be loaded and then "rammed" with the loading lever to make sure it's seated, then the grease goes on top. Repeat 6 times.....you get the drift. Then if it's a hot day, your grease may liquify and run out. And the only really effective way to clean them is with boiling water. Authentic, yes, but otherwise a total pain in the ass.

• Members

There's a local pawn shop that did something similar, without the refund. Other than bringing snap caps, there was no way I coulda known the shotgun didn't cycle rounds.

I brought it back and they just pointed to the "all sales final" sign. They even went so far as to tell me to sell it as working to the other pawn shop in town. Scum.

Do you do black powder? I've considered trying out black powder revolvers, but I dunno how difficult or expensive it is.

Yep, I've shot Black Powder for about 40 years now. My son and I muzzleloader hunt a lot. I use to strictly shoot traditional firearms but now I hunt with an inline. My son convinced me to try one and at my age I have to admit they are easier to use and clean. Revolver wise I have an 1860 Colt Old Army .44, A Remington New Model Army .44 and I've a CVA Optima Pro .50 cal rifle that I deer hunt with. Realy nice rifle with thumbhole stock and fluted barrel and very accurate out to 200 yards. Not meaning to contradict Bluesky but there's an alternative to greasing the cylinders. You can get felt discs that are cut to the diamiter of caliber of revolver you're shooting. You place one on top of the powder and then seat your ball on top of that. The felt disc seals the chamber and prevents chain fires which is when flame crosses over from the chamber being fired and ignites one or more other chambers not lined up with the breech of the barrel. Amounts to pulling the pin on a grenade and not tossing it! Also, with modern synthetic powders clean up is much easier than with regular Black Powder. You'll spend about as much for the things you need to shoot a black powder firearm as for the firearm itself where revolvers are concerned. But, once you have the accesaries they last you forever if taken care of and can be used with various other black powder firearms as well. You have any questions or need advice feel free to message me any time. Guns and guitars are my passion. :)

• Members

Yep, I've shot Black Powder for about 40 years now. My son and I muzzleloader hunt a lot. I use to strictly shoot traditional firearms but now I hunt with an inline. My son convinced me to try one and at my age I have to admit they are easier to use and clean. Revolver wise I have an 1860 Colt Old Army .44, A Remington New Model Army .44 and I've a CVA Optima Pro .50 cal rifle that I deer hunt with. Realy nice rifle with thumbhole stock and fluted barrel and very accurate out to 200 yards. Not meaning to contradict Bluesky but there's an alternative to greasing the cylinders. You can get felt discs that are cut to the diamiter of caliber of revolver you're shooting. You place one on top of the powder and then seat your ball on top of that. The felt disc seals the chamber and prevents chain fires which is when flame crosses over from the chamber being fired and ignites one or more other chambers not lined up with the breech of the barrel. Amounts to pulling the pin on a grenade and not tossing it! Also, with modern synthetic powders clean up is much easier than with regular Black Powder. You'll spend about as much for the things you need to shoot a black powder firearm as for the firearm itself where revolvers are concerned. But, once you have the accesaries they last you forever if taken care of and can be used with various other black powder firearms as well. You have any questions or need advice feel free to message me any time. Guns and guitars are my passion.
:)

I really appreciate that man. I'd love to pick your brain sometime.

• Members

I really appreciate that man. I'd love to pick your brain sometime.

You're more than welcome. I use to build muzzleloader rifles too. If I don't know an answer to any question you might have I'll garauntee you I know someone who will.

My 1860 Colt Old Army .44

MVC-023S-1.jpg

Mine and my son's CVA Optima's

Optima Elite with interchangeable barrels .243 & .50, my Optima Pro .50, Optima .209

MVC-112S.jpg

• Members

If cleaning your gun is a pain in the ass, I suggest choosing a different method of holding it while cleaning. (maybe one that doesn't involve removing clothing...). :D

As for stores upping prices - I once saw my first guitar being resold at a store about 2 years after I traded it in to another store. Upon seeing it, I wanted to buy it back - being my first guitar and all. It was a Squier II Strat - plywood body, junk hardware. I bought it new for $190. The store wanted $300 for it used! The salesguy said it's rare to find used black guitars in excellent condition - I told him it's like that bc I took good care of it for years!

They wouldn't move on the price, so I said goodbye to it for the second time. A decade later my friend bought me the same model/color as that first one, but this time for less than $100. :-P

• Members

I owned Gertie. My band had a bus crash and she flew threw the window and skidded down the pavement into the ditch. Fortunately, Guitar Center considers that natural relicing and paid a premium for it. They know some little 14 yr old twerp will thing Gertie looks cool and will mow lawns in 100 degree heat all summer to own her.

Archived