Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic-Anyone have experience with them esp. upgrades & mods?

GAS Man

• Members

I bought mine a while ago.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Go it out of the box, went "pink pink pinkety pink" with it, got a gigbag for it and put it away.

I've also gone as far as to buy a new pg for it (not put on yet) that's a vintage parchment color. I think the gold pg distracts from what is otherwise a very nice looking color with the "Desert Sand".

So I drag this out from the guitar tombs recently thinking it's time I get around to my intended mods, i.e. new pickguard and thicker strings so it will sound less "tinky". But I figured I'd stop at chrome plated 10-46 to get some jangle.

Anyway, question is - has anyone done any pup ugrades? Do you think something more can be made of these guitars? I also have a RI '65 Mustang totally stock that I bought later which slays this Duo Sonic, so I fear the D-S may have too far to go to catch up. I don't know if I should mod it or flip it.

I'm leaning towards installing a creme set of Lace Senor Gold pickups, just not sure if it's worth the additional investment, i.e. would they bring that much more out of this fairly tinny sounding guitar.

?

DV019_Jpg_Regular_305426.715_cream.jpg

Or maybe there are other p'ups that would bring more to the table? Preferable something that comes in singles so I don't have to worry about what to do with a 3rd pup.

Maybe also some brass saddles for a bit more depth?

This is a video that originally inspired me to make the purchase, but I can't say as I've gotten tones off of it as good as this. He's got more depth going than I've achieved so far. He's also the guy that I got the idea of the replacement pg from.

[video=youtube;g0VeVcYg4dk]

Sounds I get are closer to this (but a bit better than that - a BJ would not be a good amp choice for that guitar)

[video=youtube;Ma6K3S2mXPs]

• Members

You don't like the pickups? Hmm. Well, different strokes I guess. I think the pickups sound fantastic, and are nicely different than Strat or Tele pickups. Here's something I recorded with mine:

http://soundcloud.com/chillmiked/sinjin-smythe

Well, that's why I threw this thread out here. I'm not really trying this time to review the guitar (I think I did that when it first arrived and I gave it an overall positive review - including the pups/sound).

So I'm looking for what others think and may or may not have done to theirs.

I guess to clarify, I'm getting ready to pull the stock strings and pickguard so I was just starting to wonder if I should get new p'ups while I'm at it.

Your clip does sound good. :thu:

Do you happen to recall what strings you have it strung up with now?

• Members

Well, I sat down and played it some more. I was using a Holy Grail and SansAmp Liverpool into a Kustom 15 PA w horn tweeter. After twisting the bass EQ up a fair amount (2:30-ish), and the mids up a bit too (1:30), and just a hair up on the treble (12:30), it sounded quite a bit better. Usually I leave those EQs fairly flat on the SansAmp Character pedals because they are fairly sensitive and don't need much increase for a big response.

Still wondering how much more potential there would be with other p'ups.

Gotta be some other owners here -

• Members

I have a middle and bridge BG Phatty pair up for sale that would make that guitar scream...
:rawk:

I'll think on that one, thanks. Part of me is wanting to maintain that smooth top look (which is why the Lace Sensors first popped up in my mind. And I'm also thinking about keep it more vintage-voiced. But indeed, I am thinking a bit more umph than the stock p'ups. Not sure if the Golds would do that or not. I did buy one for my son's strat, but that was a laminate body and many years ago. But I do recall thinking tht the gold was the best of the ones I'd tried, including silver and red (never hook up a red without it being connected to a tone pot) :eek:

Thanks

• Members

the first video with the Princeton Reverb sounded incredible. The Blues Jr not so much...I imagine that Princeton would make any guitar sound awesome though...
:o

Yes indeed. That video was what made me punch in my order back in Oct '09

• Members

I'm a pickup upgrader for sure but honestly, I think the stock pickups sound pretty great. I kept playing two of the CV Duo Sonics at two different stores through RI Blackface amps and was always able to get on very well with the neck pickup alone and both pickups together. I'm not really much of a bridge pickup guy for cleans so I wasn't crazy about that. Granted, that was just playing them at shops over a few hours on different days, but I was pretty impressed by how it sounded.

:idk:

I will say that I've played Doc's strat with the Hot Golds on several occasions and, while it's not my very favorite sounding strat, I think it sounds very, very good for how little noise they put out. They are really unlike any other low noise/reduced noise single coil I've ever played. For pickups that have that completely covered look, the Hot Golds would probably be my first choice. Among EMGs, I'd suspect you'd like the SAs over the Ss though I'm not sure if they make them in cream.

Having said that, those early 80s Bullets with the solid covers on the pickups... those were just standard single coil pickups under the covers. I don't know of a source for them, but I'd suspect someone makes them then you could use pretty much any pickup your heart desires.

:lol:

• Members

I liked the pickups on all three - yes, three - of the CV Duo Sonics I've owned. Personally, I'd hold off on a swap until you get a good set of .011s or .012s on the guitar - in my experience, .010s just aren't enough. Of course, .011/.012 sounds like a heavy gauge, but the 24" scale handles it like a champ and leaves plenty of slink; plus, I was always impressed with how much heavier strings opened these guitars up.

• Members

There is one of these Squier Duo Sonics at a store near my house. It's used in great shape, but it has a dead fret at the 13th. You don't get any note. Here's something kind of cool though- it comes with an original 1970's Fender Mustang/MusicMaster case. The cost is $250.

I think if it wasn't for the dead fret (or frets) I'd have maybe made an offer on it. I'm kind of worried that after getting the frets fixed up, I'd be into it monetary wise a little more than it's worth, but that case kind of set it off. It was leaning against the wall in the old Fender case.

Archived