Epiphone '57 Classic Pickups?

• Members

Any opinions on these? See some sets on the ebay that are tempting me. Wonder if these are worth giving a try over GFS?

Was going to update my EBMM SUB-1. Want something warmer/smokier that what I have now. The stock pickups are Korean made for EBMM. Seem to be your typical 8K-ish range bucker. These are rather sparkly and even response. Guitar is wired with 250K pots.

IMG_0693.jpg

• Members

Are they the same alnico Vs that ship in a lot of their Les Pauls and SGs? If so, then I'd try it out. I have a G400, and while I thought the stock pickups were very good, I bought the guitar just to put some humbucker-sized P90s in it. Anyway, the pickups were warm as I remember them, and they had a good crunch sound.

• Members

Epiphone's 'HOTch-bridge +' and the 'neck LP/335' is a good set on any Qingdao Epiphone after 2008

especially a G-400 faded.

I realized this after installing GFS Fat Pats to replace them.

And, I was not pleased with the GFS pickups -so I reinstalled the Epiphone pickups.

It may have been a matter of preference on my part, but the GFS pickups certainly didn't blow me away.

• Members

Epiphone's 'HOTch-bridge +' and the 'neck LP/335' is a good set on any Qingdao Epiphone after 2008

And, I was not pleased with the GFS pickups -so I reinstalled the Epiphone pickups.

It may have been a matter of preference on my part, but the GFS pickups certainly didn't blow me away.

So these do sound pretty good?

• Members

Had the same GFS pickups that I used to replace a set of Duncan Design things....I had to double check to make sure that I actually put the right pickups in because it sounded the same.

As far as the Epi pickups go the only thing in common with real 57 classics is that they are both humbuckers. Here's a few sound clips comparing the two:

Epiphone '57 Classics

Gibson '57 Classics

This was using the same set of strings, carefully measuring the pickup height before and after to match and going direct through a clean preamp into the PC. Going through a real amp the differences really stand out, but I didn't want to skew the test.

Oh yeah, those Epiphone pickups are made in Korea and measure exactly 8k.

• Members

So these do sound pretty good?

They really did in mine....

I've had some crappy ones too and I'll be the first to change out crappy pickups,

but this set just didn't have that problem.

I was wondering if they were wound by Bill Lawrence Co. because I'd read something that it 'was a possibility'

that those Epi pickups came from a major manufacturer

and not just some sweat shop out of Asia

• Members

Had the same GFS pickups that I used to replace a set of Duncan Design things....I had to double check to make sure that I actually put the right pickups in because it sounded the same.

As far as the Epi pickups go the only thing in common with real 57 classics is that they are both humbuckers. Here's a few sound clips comparing the two:

This was using the same set of strings, carefully measuring the pickup height before and after to match and going direct through a clean preamp into the PC. Going through a real amp the differences really stand out, but I didn't want to skew the test.

Oh yeah, those Epiphone pickups are made in Korea and measure exactly 8k.

I much prefer the muffled thrum sound of the Epiphone pickups. The Gibsons are way too articulate. I hear every damn string and every nuance of your playing comes through with those damn Gibson pickups. I think I may start a club ... The "My Epiphone sounds better than a Gibson (to me) Club". Haha. The Gibson '57's sound like heaven.

To the OP, forget those Epi pickups. Artecs and GFS are better. I had a GFS Vintage '59 that I liked. I've heard the Alnico II's and they sound good also. I don;t like the Fat Pats or the Crunchy Pats. Both sounded compressed and buzzy (fizzy) to me.

• Members

I really like what my DiMarzio PAF 36th Annis and Air Classics do to my tone. I would choose these over the SD 59s any day of the week. Very clear and spacious sounding. Actually the PAF in bridge and the AC in neck is to die for. Could do almost any gig only using these two.

If more vintage is your thing and you're on a budget then Stew-Macs HB pickups get rave reviews and are very moderately priced. No experience though.

Archived