New Gibson 50th Anniversary SG 12 String Day (NSG12D) & Yes, it's neck heavey

GAS Man

• Members

I wrote a NGD thread this morning and then computer froze up while looking up songs on YT, so starting over again. (Does YT occasionally freeze up your computer too? - maybe it's that plus photobucket)

I had to toss out about 4 of my closer guitar body shots because too much of me, too early in the morning, was showing up as reflections on the guitar body. :p And then my camera announced that I should change out the battery and shut down. I don't know where this other battery is my camera was referring to. :confused:

But here it is:

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0131-1.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Thanks to a fellow forumite (can't remember who now) that posted a link to an advert in Europe for the new Gibsons, I was calling Sweetwater about this guitar back before they even knew it was coming out, so I've had this guitar on order since February and it's the first one they got in (and maybe the only since they just did a special order on it for me - but MF is carrying them - or will be)

Here's the Gibson specs link

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/50th-Anniversary-SG-12-String/Specs.aspx

It was fun tuning it up this morning :facepalm:.

I used a sequence recommended in a Rickenbacker pamphlet.

Start with the regular strings, then do the G, B, e unison strings, then the E, A, D octave higher strings, then go around and around and around (phew) until it's finally in tune. But you know how lighter gauges strings will bind at the nut and then go "pink" and end up sharp? Well that's even more fun with 9 light gauge strings on a new Gibbie nut. LOL

Well, after I got it tuned up, I thought it sounded great so I promptly tuned them all back down a half step, now it feels good too. ;^)

But in any case, I have a Ricky 360-12 but wanted to try again to get one that's a bit more jangly and easier to play, and I'd say this Gibson SG does that. I thought it was a bit odd that Gibson spec'd this guitar with the 490T & 498R instead of 57s, or better yet IMO, a BB 1 & 2 combo, but these p'ups do seem to work pretty well on the 12 too. I did try turning them down about a 1/4 or so, and that also made the tone seem a bit more 12-string appropriate.

Well, just thought I'd report on this NGD, cuz this is the last guitar I'm buying EVER! The GAS'r got to hang it up.

fingers-crossed-behind-back-250x156.jpg

The History of the 12-String Guitar

The origins of Twelve String Power

by Michael Simmons

From Acoustic Guitar Magazine

http://www.12stringguitar.com/12-String_Guitar_History.html

And to close with a couple vids of those who popularized the sound of the 12-string

[video=youtube;a6yCEsDsGx4]

[video=youtube;XQ2kgV62ivo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ2kgV62ivo

Oh, I almost forgot! I got candy too. :-)

But I have to hide my Bit 'O Honeys from my wife ;^)

Well, she can have one. I scored 3 on them on this purchase!

• Members

That's great, and it's great that Gibson has produced the twelve-string that we've all wanted ... without having to buy an attached six-string! Oh, and by the way, you picked THE definitive twelve-string tracks for the showcase ...

• Members

That's great, and it's great that Gibson has produced the twelve-string that we've all wanted ... without having to buy an attached six-string! Oh, and by the way, you picked THE definitive twelve-string tracks for the showcase ...

Yeah, thanks. It does seem like 12s from Gibson are relatively rare. I seem to recall a musician friend of mine saying he once had a ES335-12 but it seems like there's not a lot out there except for the combos you mention. Oh, and thanks. I avoided a "Turn Turn Turn" Byrds cliche'. ;)

• Members
What you need is what is called the Arnquist mod. It involves replacing the nut. You have the new nut cut with the E pairs on both sides moved closer to the edge of the fretboard. Make sure each pair is moved so the regular string and the octave string are as close as possible without touching. Re-space the remaining 4 pairs between the E's with the regular and octave strings as close to each other as possible. Between moving the E's out further on the neck and moving the other strings closer you wind up with more space between each pair and it feels like the neck has suddenly got wider.

• Members

I linked the Gibson specs above, so copied from their site:

Nut

Material Corian

Width 1.695

Slots Gibson PLEK System

Which is darn near the same as my Ricky 360-12 at 1.63, (about another 16th inch wider) but it does feel better on the Gibson. I'll have to do some measuring later. I knew that the measurements where close to each other, but I think they are spaced differently on the Gibbie. I know that recently fellow forumite Rick 381 was recommending a nut mod that helps the Rickys just by changing the string spacing.

This is one thing I don't understand about the Rics and Gibson. They both make decent guitars but I don't understand why the necks on their guitars are all so narrow and especially on a 12 string. IMO, that's just to narrow to be practical.

• Members

This is one thing I don't understand about the Rics and Gibson. They both make decent guitars but I don't understand why they necks on their guitars are all so narrow and especially on a 12 string. IMO, that's just to narrow to be practical.

Yes, I was a little disappointed to read the specs and see that Gibson didn't alter the fretboard or nut even a fraction larger than an SG Standard, but it does play well so I'm fairly happy with that aspect of this product.

Archived