I think my new ordered guitar WILL be named. It shall be "Salvador" (as in Dali)(RD)

GAS Man

• Members

A recent thread about "Do you name your guitars?" made me think of this. I've bought a lot of guitars, but only named my first Les Paul "Lester" and my next Gibson (an ES335) "Big Red".

Other than that, I've had no desire to name another guitar. The model designation is fine by me, but I thought my last order might inspire a name because it could have been inspired by -

soft-watch.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaZAJTf1EQGyebvyLL5u_

and of course -

persistence.jpg

So I think my incoming Gibson RD

gib_rdstd_eb_1.jpg

gib_rdstd_eb_2.jpg

Will be called Salvador ;)

Other name proposals will be considered! :D

• Members

I like the idea, but I think Dali would be a prettier name. "I'm gonna use the Dali for this one". I don't like the idea of an axe than can be called "Sal" for short. Sounds like a bookie. Just me though, if youre happy, then I wish you and Salvadore much happiness.

• Members

Did you pick one up when it was on the Stupid Deal of the Day on Musicians Friend? If I had the money to spend I would of got one. That was a great price.

HNGD! And great name!!! I never made the connection, but now that you have, it will be stuck in my head.

• Members

Did you pick one up when it was on the Stupid Deal of the Day on Musicians Friend? If I had the money to spend I would of got one. That was a great price.

HNGD! And great name!!! I never made the connection, but now that you have, it will be stuck in my head.

Yes, (SDOTD) but it was quite the ordeal. Amazingly it did ship yesterday. And I didn't have any money either, but I was going to use my MF "manana" card so I could rationalize this as an August 2012 purchase :D (12-mo. 0%)

I ordered it on Wednesday after thinking about it for about 5 hours :confused:

Then I woke up late Thursday (around 7am) saw the amber one was now available- (the ebony hadn't shipped yet)

Called them up, canceled the ebony order BUT just as I was ordering the amber they went out of stock :eek:

So I asked if they could reverse the cancellation on the ebony - no, but they could put in another order at the same price and she said she could push it through for shipment.

So then from work I looked up my home e-mail, saw my order confirmation and saw :eek: they'd used the wrong card on my account. Instead of using my MF card that had lots of room left on it and 12 months zero %, they picked up a card that was higher interest and didn't have enough room left on it. :mad: Not only was I telling the "customer service" person to re-instate my order but I told them I was ordering a capo to get over the $700 to get the 12 mo 0% deal, but she just slapped it on a Visa account I'd used in the past instead of putting it back on the same card as the order she'd just canceled. :rolleyes:

So I called them back - was on the phone literally for an hour trying to get them to credit my Visa back and put it on the MF card. But all they could do was once again cancel my order and put in another order for a now back ordered item. :( I was told they had no way of talking to shipping. Well somehow the folks in shipping must be smarter than they are cuz one went out last night.

I need another brain more than I need another guitar, but I was becoming oddly attracted to this odd shape. :lol:

Oh, and MF comped me a capo. Whoopee, $16 off for an hour on the phone correcting their mistake.

• Members

Congrats man! I love my 77 RD Artist. They are great guitars. Very comfortable to play sitting down.

Good to hear, thanks. From reading the reviews though, I guess the shape is one of the few things they have in common with the older RDs. The scale length is back to 24.75, electroncis are just basic on the new one, and I think the wood is different and I think it's a bit thicker. I'm hoping it will be more comfy (and I think it will be) than an Explorer or Firebird. At least it won't be as neck heavy as a Firebird.

• Members

I think it ought to be named 'I can't turn away from a deal', but that's just me.
:D

Congrats on the new Gumbycaster.
:thu:

Both excellent names and very appropriate. My wife I'm sure would agree with the first choice (put a rolling pin and curlers in this emoticon instead of billy club and cap) :cop:

But Gumbycaster is excellent! :thu::lol:

• Members

Gibson used "RD" as it stood for research and development. They had done a lot of testing and polling to come up with a new design. So maybe give your RD a scientist name like "Newton" or " Einstein".
:idea:

Or just "Newt" :D

newt.jpg

Starting to wonder though if it really happened.

UPS is saying,

""

I'm used to that "the day of" but this is the day after shipping notice. Usually it's in there by the next morning. :confused:

• Members

Good to hear, thanks. From reading the reviews though, I guess the shape is one of the few things they have in common with the older RDs. The scale length is back to 24.75, electroncis are just basic on the new one, and I think the wood is different and I think it's a bit thicker. I'm hoping it will be more comfy (and I think it will be) than an Explorer or Firebird. At least it won't be as neck heavy as a Firebird.

Yeah, the new one is a bit thicker, and it's mahogany now not maple. But it should still play just fine. Ive tried the new ones out and they really don't play much different than my Artist. I think the necks are a bit thicker, but that's about it as far as differences feel wise. I know the scale is shorter on the new ones, but I really didn't notice much difference. And they really don't neck dive with that rear upper point. It provides it with pretty good balance. I hope you like it! If not, give me a holler! :)

• Members

^^ Thanks, I will ;) I read that in a review on the MF site before ordering. The guy gave it kinda low marks just for not being an authentic recreation of the RD. He must be a "purist RD fan".

Their user reviews were actually quite helpful this time for letting me know what I was getting into.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-rd-standard-electric-guitar?content=reviews

Still waiting for UPS to recognize that tracking number though. Doesn't usually take this long. I called MF to see if any of my ordering confusion cause the shipment to flip or be held, but they just calmly told me to take a chill pill until at least 24 hours from yesterday's "shipped" e-mail. But if it doesn't track by 7PM PT tonight, I'll be scrounging through the drawers for my deceased dog's 4th of July meds. :eek:

j/k

:wave:

Archived