I am completely musically illiterate.

thop

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not going to jump in somewhere and tell people what they do need, or don't need to know about anything, much less guitar or music. If you're playing your guitar, and it feels good and it sounds good, then
:rawk:
on.

However, knowing some theory has helped me IMMENSELY musically. It gives you a common language in which to a) converse with other musicians who play different instruments, and b)converse with YOUR instrument in a way that makes sense. Sure, you could randomly bang around and figure things out, learn some patterns that repeat up and down the neck - that's fine, no harm, you can get quite good doing just that. You can devour books/tutorials/tab sheets and learn stuff that way as well.

But, you can also learn WHY things sound the way the sound, what chords are called what and why, and with (a lot of) practice you can actually hear things in your head and know them before actually playing them.

Anyway, most of us are hobbyist players anyway. Some of us play in weekend bands, some have loftier gigs, whatever. Do what works for you and most importantly make some music.
:cool::thu:

+1000 with wagdog

I was a similar boat as the OP. Lessons made a huge difference to me because I don't have a good ear nor have any innate musical talent. If you do lessons might not be for you but for me it opened up a whole world musically that was bared from me prior to taking the lessons. Even though I can now play in any key I still take lessons to get help on those things I still struggle with (timing, jazz chords :p etc). Music does not come naturally to me so I believe I will always need help to move forward.

• Members

Sometimes I have to tell our keyboard player things like "It goes to a Dm7b5 ...."

Or I have to tell the drummer "Play 16th notes on the high-hat when we go to the bridge...."

Or I have to tell the bass player "The intro is a I - vi - ii - V progression in A"

Things go a lot smoother and quicker when they know exactly what I'm saying, and no further explanation is necessary.

• Members

I"m with the OP as. I can read tab, know all of the major chords, know a majority of the bar chords (still working on progressions on those though), and I"m just getting into shredding. I know nothing about music theory. If I could do college over again, I"d be a music major because I want to know some music theory. If you listen to a Paul Gilbert lesson video, the man is a master of music theory, but is that level of knowledge necessary to be really good at guitar? I can't answer that since technically I'm still a beginner but one of the posts said that guitar is all about feeling and listening for the notes, to know what a C major sounds like. I think I you have that down, you're headed in the right direction.

• Members

Sometimes I have to tell our keyboard player things like
"It goes to a Dm7b5 ...."

Or I have to tell the drummer
"Play 16th notes on the high-hat when we go to the bridge...."

Or I have to tell the bass player
"The intro is a I - vi - ii - V progression in A"

Things go a lot smoother and quicker when they know exactly what I'm saying, and no further explanation is necessary.

Guess that leaves me out! :cry: (:lol:)

• Members

It does help to know some theory.

I've never had a lesson but have exchanged knowledge with fellow 6 stringers here and in real life, it all helps.

Learning the pentatonic (minor and major, it's the same), major and harmonic minor scales are so helpful.

You don't need to know all the notes on the nek, just remember the patterns to play. It will give you SO MUCH FUN!

Once you know those, it's handy to learn which chords go well with those scales.

I don't really need to go a lot deeper than that to have learnt a lot.

Then it's all about technic.

It's worth remembering that gipsy jazz was learnt within travelling groups, and none of them knew how to read music.

But they knew how to play.

• Members

Many of the pioneers of guitar playing didn't know {censored} about theory. Many jazz musicians couldn't read music and played on feel.

That being said, unless you're THAT talented, you need to learn more about music. At least learn the first 3 strings and where the notes are, you'll be able to figure the rest out by octaves.

LEARN CHORDS.

Learn to recognize what note and chord is being played (within reason)

Then, use that little bit of theory to communicate and write.

• Members

I have no idea where some people think it's OK to know no theory at all. It's fine if you're the only songwriter in your group and you're expecting other people to emulate you, but people like that are extremely frustrating to work with for people like me and will be replaced at first opportunity unless they're contributing in other valuable ways because they slow other people down. I want to be able to say, the chord progression is D major, C major, F major, G major, and have you figure out something you can play. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should work.

I think it's not that important to know modes and all that crap because let's face it, most people won't need it. But when you play a note, you should know which note you're playing. Conversely, when someone tells you to play a note, you should be able to play that note. You should also know the other places where that note can be found on the fretboard. That's not the theory you think of in terms of classes, but I just think it's practical knowledge that any serious guitarist should have or seek to have. I've been playing guitar for just over four years now and I know what note I'm playing and I know at least five different ways to play a C major chord, so what's everyone else's excuse?

I was thinking about your draconian statement and decided the best response is "Watch Zorba The Greek: ;)

• Members

You are absolutely right. Please remember, though, not everyone is the same or has the same amount of time, money or aptitude. It's better to encourage others on the positive reasons why theory and reading music is good for them, rather than intimating that those that don't know as much in this area are less intelligent, motivated etc. In the end, that will be more motivating and encouraging to them, don't you think? Regards, Steadfastly

I took all of one lesson. The rest was realizing that I needed this knowledge and dedicating some time to acquiring it. And so can anybody. All I ask is that I can tell you to play a string of chords, and you can play them. If not, at least look at my fingers and figure out what I'm playing. The former is knowing basic music theory. The latter is having practical knowledge of music theory but not necessarily knowing the names for everything. You've got to have one or the other, though.

Really, though, American culture (I realize you're in Canada but the attitude is similar) is really bad about the whole thing where some people need to be told what they need to be told. If you see yourself playing with other people, you have to realize that you're going to be judged by your abilities and that nobody really gives a {censored} about your feelings at the end of the day. The way I see it, people have a few things that really factor into a musical group. If you can't write songs, you can't play that well, you can't sing well, and then you also can't lead or follow well, then why the hell should I keep you around if someone better comes along? Just because you're my friend doesn't mean I won't upgrade you in a musical setting. And that's how the world works.

You don't have to be a genius, but if you can do a few things pretty well, soon enough you start being hard to replace. So become hard to replace, I say. Learn to play decently. Learn a couple other instruments. Sing backup. Help with lyrics. Be on time and responsible. If you can't follow along to what others are playing, then write your own stuff. If you're not musically gifted, then learn the gear well so you can be a tech/engineer and help cut demos and run the mixer and stuff like that. If you can't do anything that involves thinking, become a social butterfly and know everybody and anybody so you can help others land gigs and get laid. Do something. Don't be happy with just being a replaceable part.

• Members

check out Fretboard Logic books or the CAGED method.

I played with a guy who majored in music so he knew a lot of theory, it just made things easier. I would be playing something and he would be able to know what I was trying to do whereas I would take some time to work it out.

Knowing theory helps but a lot of it pertains only to classical.

• Members

That's fine, but in that case, whatever. Most people who are content to sit around and play by themselves probably don't ever need to communicate their ideas to other people and probably don't need theory.

Watch "Zorba The Greek" ;)

• Members

I honestly don't know how those of you who claim to know no theory get by. That's not a put down btw, i just dont understand - how for instance do you transpose a song to a different key if you don't understand the function of the chords or progression?

There's an app for that :). Actually there are several apps for that.

• Members

You don't HAVE to know any theory - most of the old bluesmen didn't know a thing - but a little understanding of the fundamentals can help a lot. Goo music doesn't always have to make sense (see Adrian Belew :lol:) but good music nearly always does make sense. You can learn what you need from a few well chosen books and by playing and listening. If you can grock how it works you may find yourself playing more freely and creatively. It can't hurt

• Members

I think it's fun and interesting to learn music theory, and it's expanded my playing immensely. The more I learn the more I enjoy playing music, and the better I get. Just learning the basic modes of the major scale, and how to make a 7th or 9th chord payed tremendous dividends way in my bar band days, even though I don't think I really considered that "music theory."

If you've got Jeff Beck's ears, mind, hands and talent you don't need to know any music theory. For me it's been extremely useful to learn. Do you need it? No. Is it good to know? Yes. Whether or not you learn any theory depends what you want to do with your playing and how good your ears are, but it's sure not going to hurt.

Is there a different between the harmonic minor and the relative minor? I kind of hate how open they are with the terms. I.E: from what I remember from various reading materials they called A minor C major's relative minor or harmonic minor.

The relative minor is a way of saying "this is a minor scale with the exact same notes as the major scale". For example, C D E F G A B C is the C major scale. Its relative minor is A B C D E F G A. A (natural) minor is the relative minor of C major. The harmonic minor is a separate scale - it's a natural minor scale with a raised 7th (ex: A B C D E F G#). Note there are several "minor" scales" - the natural minor, the harmonic minor, the melodic minor... sometimes people aren't clear which one they're talking about.

• Members

You don't need advanced musical language to communicate. I played in bands with mostly self taught musicians as a youth and we'd follow along fine. We all knew chords so we could say "the bridge is G for 4 counts, then A for four counts then Em for 8 counts" and if we got lost just watch the other guys hands.

I just finished this great book all about the science of music and how the brain processes it and whatnot. The author mentioned a conversation he had with Joni mitchell about jaco pastorious. She said that he was a really difficult human being but she preferred to work with him because he was so free with his accompaniment. The author said that Joni Mitchell, having no theory knowledge used weird tunings and fingerings and consequently a lot of her chords were in ambiguous keys, they could Be interpreted in different ways. She complained that the studio musicians, especially bassists, she worked with were so adamant about finding the correct root note and the correct key, it detracted from her music.

• Members

I would learn where all the notes are on the fretboard (it won't take too long, there are only 12 notes) and two to three scales (major, pentatonic, minor). It will improve your playing a lot. It is important, to deviate from the scales once you know them or your playing will seem choreographed.

PS Modes are just the major scale moved up and down the fretboard so you'll know many if you learn the major. Pentatonic can be played with almost anything.

• Members

It's kind of useful that if someone says "This next one is in Bbmaj" you actually know what that means and can do it. If someone asks you to play a Fmin7 chord it's always nice to understand and to be able to play it. It's not like it's difficult either but it does help to understand the basics. You don't have to have a masters degree in music, just some understanding of the basic principles should be enough for starters anyway. :idk:

• Members

I think one of the things that hold people back from learning theory and being able to read music notation is that it is often portrayed as being difficult. It is not that difficult. Let me explain it this way.

I once built a house pretty much by myself. People always asked me how I did it. I told them one step at a time. One wall then another and another, then the roof, etc.

It is the same with music; you learn one step at a time. First the notes on the first three strings in the first position (the first four frets) then the three low strings in the first position. Then sharps, flats, rests, etc. One thing just follows another. It takes time but it's interesting. And when you start to understand what that fret board is really all about and the light goes on, hey, it's some kinda wonderful and you realize that, all that time and effort was not only worth it but really rewarding too.

• Members

True, but this stuff can be learned, for free, on the internet.

Prolog: I've learned/learning from my Learn & Master Guitar course on DVD and a previous guitar teacher. Would you be able to supply me some links where I can find this on the internet? It would be most helpful. Thank you, Steadfastly

• Members

I'm not musically trained being an autodidact. But I do have extensive knowledge of chords and how they function as well as experience with them. I can read a chord chart on the fly and keep up with a big band. But I can only read the musical staff EXTREMELY slowly and that's no use in the real world. It would be more accurate to say that I can't read music on the staff. I know a bunch of musical terms, some of which I even know what they mean... :)

• Members

By learning to play advanced music by others, you'll absorb some theory whether you realize it or not. :)

When I first started playing, I worked on figuring out as many classic rock to prog metal tunes as I could by ear, using tab only if I was stumped. I no longer use tab for almost anything as I can usually figure it out by ear, but it's a good thing to spend some time with early on. I sure as hell can't read "real" music, but I don't care. I can do what I need. In the early days, I went for technique, speed and endurance, but after I got through that, the most important thing was achieving TONE. No tone = no care. :wave: If you dig your tone, you will be more inspired to create. And you'll inspire others.

Archived