Epiphone Wildkat-Opinions?

venturehead

• Members

Thinking about checking out a used (but still new) Epiphone Wildkat. The guy is asking $320.

What's the verdict on these guitars? I like the vintage vibe, and it fits in with what I'm playing-bluesy vintage rock from the 50's 60's and 70's. What I've played unplugged I've liked.

Anything I should be looking for with regard to quality on these guitars?

Thanks!

• Members

Thinking about checking out a used (but still new) Epiphone Wildkat. The guy is asking $320.

What's the verdict on these guitars? I like the vintage vibe, and it fits in with what I'm playing-bluesy vintage rock from the 50's 60's and 70's. What I've played unplugged I've liked.

Thanks!

I've never played a Wildkat, but on my Epiphone semihollow (a riviera), it isn't put together as well as I'd wish it was. The little E on the pickguard is very badly glued down, my input jack caved in once... for tone, I like it, but as for construction, it gets a weak B or B-.

• Members

Thanks!

I liked the idea behind the Wildkat and played a couple at stores while considering buying one.

Nice enough guitar, pretty, typical Epiphone fare. I thought the semihollow vibe would be there but it's really not and it tends more toward a generic LP type sound then a semi. Still, nothing wrong with the ones I played and I found them comfortable but a complete electronics change would do a heap of good. One of the ones I tried out sound very dull and dead. Don't know if that might be characteristic of the model or that particular one was just a dud.

Seemed to me that they would make a good modding platform and cheap enough to screw around with and not worry about it too much.

• Members

Nope, I have an Alleykat. Krashpad has the Wildkat.

I saw the Wildkats recently listed at $350 for a new one, did I not?

EG

Yes, American Musical Supply and Zzounds have them at that price NEW http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-ETBKCB-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

I guess with a 110% price match from Music 123 that would = approx $345 new

I own a WK

qd11.jpgWildKat002.jpgWildKat001.jpg

They are not a twangy sounding guitar. They look a bit Rockabilly, but they are voiced more Rock.

I think they are good for making tones like "Cat Scratch Fever". As others have said, they sound a bit more like a chambered Les Paul than a semi-hollow.

The sound is rather thick so they can sound muddy through a traditional black face Fender amp, but when you play them through a more modern style Marshall amp, they fill in the amp nicely and make a big growling rock tone.

Once you figure out what they do well, they are a pretty cool guitar at a very attractive price.

Archived