Burglarized. Mojo requested.

steveyoorock

• Members

Mojo sent. Sorry to hear your stuff got stolen. And it definitely feels like a violation.

Somebody tried to break into my home about a year and a half ago. I was sound asleep and thought the cats had knocked something over. Walked into the kitchen and saw glass everywhere, then I noticed the kitchen window was completely smashed out. Then I saw a shadowy figure outside. At that point I was more frightened than I'd ever been in my life. :eek:

I immediately dialed 911, but there was something wrong with my cell phone and the call wouldn't go through. Had to call my sister to call 911 for me. Fortunately they didn't get in and nobody was harmed. One cat got out but I managed to get her back in.

After that I took measures to better secure the place. Had to put in a replacement window. Put bars in the windows across the back of my house. Had a security system installed and I USE IT. Had all the shrubs and trees cut down around the house so nobody could hide behind them. Had motion sensor flood lights installed in the back yard. And if they make it in the house after all of that I have a big surprise for them. :D

NEVER AGAIN!

• Members

True, but a very large dog almost always is. I had one for a while and I took great comfort in knowing that if anybody was actually crazy enough to get into my house it would be a race for them to throw themselves through the nearest window before being torn apart by my dog.

To the OP, sorry for your loss. Mojo sent. Criminals should be flayed in public. Or better yet, torn apart by dogs in public for entertainment. But in that case they should be tiny little chihuahuas. Dozens of 'em. That way it'd take longer and it would be a humiliating end as well.

You like dogs, huh? :D

Mojo sent. That sucks.

• Members

I too would suspect a neighbor or someone fairly close. Somebody obviously knew you were gone. Keep an eye on Craigs List and all the local pawn shops. If you have pics of the guitars you might make up a poster and ask stores if it's ok to post it saying they are stolen. Have a few friends put the word out that they are looking to buy a guitar too, someone just might offer one of your guitars to them. Make sure all doors and windows are locked any time you're not home. Might invest in an alarm too. They are getting quite reasonably priced. As said, a big dog is a good investment. Anyone breaking into my home first has to get past the Boxers. If I'm home they then get treated to the buiseness end of a Magnum 12 ga. Hope you get your guitars back. One thing to keep in mind, if not caught, the thieves may get cocky and try it again. One more tip. If money is tight, get you some decals saying " Warning!!! Video Surveilance! " Put them on all your doors and windows. Thieves don't know if there's cameras hidden or not and, if they've any kind of brain, won't take the chance. Heck, for next to nothing you can get fake cameras but a real one isn't that much. I got one, with a moniter, for $70 new. Hooked it up to a vcr and it records any outside activity while I'm gone. I know exactly what goes on when I'm not home!

• Members

I too would suspect a neighbor or someone fairly close. Somebody obviously knew you were gone. Keep an eye on Craigs List and all the local pawn shops. If you have pics of the guitars you might make up a poster and ask stores if it's ok to post it saying they are stolen. Have a few friends put the word out that they are looking to buy a guitar too, someone just might offer one of your guitars to them. Make sure all doors and windows are locked any time you're not home. Might invest in an alarm too. They are getting quite reasonably priced. As said, a big dog is a good investment. Anyone breaking into my home first has to get past the Boxers. If I'm home they then get treated to the buiseness end of a Magnum 12 ga. Hope you get your guitars back. One thing to keep in mind, if not caught, the thieves may get cocky and try it again. One more tip. If money is tight, get you some decals saying " Warning!!! Video Surveilance! " Put them on all your doors and windows. Thieves don't know if there's cameras hidden or not and, if they've any kind of brain, won't take the chance. Heck, for next to nothing you can get fake cameras but a real one isn't that much. I got one, with a moniter, for $70 new. Hooked it up to a vcr and it records any outside activity while I'm gone. I know exactly what goes on when I'm not home!

Thanks for the words of advice!

I believe I will install some cameras around my house.

Would definitely make me feel more secure when I leave the house empty.

Hope my guitar is doing alright.

The thought of some kid treating it like garbage tears me up inside.

• Members

Thanks for the words of advice!

I believe I will install some cameras around my house.

Would definitely make me feel more secure when I leave the house empty.

Hope my guitar is doing alright.

The thought of some kid treating it like garbage tears me up inside.

I know how personal guitars are dude, but at the end of the day it's an inanimate object, not your puppy or kitten or something. Be glad you're ok, and besides scratches = mojo.

• Members

in my opionion, if ALL that was taken was guitar gear, its probably someone you know or someone whos been in your house...burglars typically go for smaller stuff...most burglars who have any experience know they aint gonna get {censored} for a guitar at a pawn shop, and craigslist will just get them busted...guitars are too easily tracable...

I had my door kicked in and 3 guitars taken...it was my {censored}i neighbor and I got all my stuff back, he did time in jail for this...incidentally they moved away

I had my garage door kicked in and lawn equipment.rec vehicles stolen...turned out it was a contractors employee who worked on out house

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One very important element of having an alarm system in the house is those stickers and little signs on houses already equipped with one. More often than not, these signs have a psychological effect on potential home invaders that may help you even you ward them off even when you have forgotten to turn the system on.

home alarms

• Members

{censored}load of mojo sent.

Had well over 15k of gear stolen from my apartment while I was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington right at about a year or so back. Was living in Lacey which is a nice suburb of seattle, but apparently no one saw or heard the guy flat out just kick my door open and take all of my gear and mind you it was a LOT, that mofo had to have had a truck and some friends to help him haul that stuff, 6+ guitars, two orange 4x12's (heavy as hell), several heads, tons of pedals and rack gear... pretty much every single piece of equipment I had acquired since I was a teenager, most of the really nice stuff was purchased with the bonus I got from the army, it was a bummer. Honestly I think it was someone who I had a deal with on craigslist (but honestly any people I dealt with seemed like good guys so who knows), since they came in and took all of my guitar equipment, but left my flat screen, ps3, xbox 360, wii, 3 laptops, desktops, as well as a {censored} ton of dvds, games, handheld games like ds lites psp's.... sorry mine isn't a success story, not only did I not have any renters insurance at the time I also never recovered a single piece of gear, even after supplying picktures/serial numbers for every piece of gear (I religiously take pictures of my gear/serial numbers). So from now on, lock your {censored} up and get renters insurance, that is my only advice.... oh and don't show people from craigslist where you live EVER.

• Members

I was robbed twice in 3 years. This was before I took up guitar, so I did not loose any gear. We had 2 cats at the time, and they were still there. I was grateful for that. We ended up moving into a much safer neighborhood. You do indeed feel violated. BTW - buy a gun.

why a gun....so they could have stolen it also....he was just running a fast errand. If he didn't close and lock his window I don't think he would have grabbed a gun.

• Members

Thanks so much, everyone.

I live in Los Angeles, near the Silverlake / Echo Park area. Not exactly the safest place to leave your windows open, I learned.

They stole a 2005 Fender American Strat from me. Black finish with white pickup and Lindy Fralin Hots pickups. Oh and maple neck. I would be very much appreciative if some Harmony Central members kept an eye out for my guitar at local pawn shops if they're in the area.

I have been checking Craigslist but I'm starting to feel that the thieves were kids and are planning to keep whatever they stole for their own.

I also live in Los Angeles! Don't worry, the minute I see a guy in Los Angeles playing a Stratocaster - of any color, he could've refinished it - I will tackle that sonuvabitch TO THE GROUND!

But in all serious, mojo sent, I hope you get your stuff back. If somebody took my #1 I don't know how I'd cope.

• Members

Ahh thanks for the mojo everyone.

I thought this thread had died off, but I guess it got revived again somehow.

I guess I'll give you guys an update on what happened so far.

The LAPD fingerprint analysis team came by to dust for fingerprints but couldn't find much.

The only fingerprint they found was off of my friend's "Crossroads" DVD (the movie with Steve Vai and the Karate Kid) haha

No word of anything from the police department as of yet. :(

After the incident, I barred up (almost) every window in the house, including the 2nd story windows. My house isn't 2 stories, but it's 2 stories high. :-/.

Installed them with a buddy of mine.

As for a guitar, it's a good thing I had been saving up for one. Got a Les Paul last Friday, which I made a mention of here on the forums. But in no way am I giving up on finding my precious Strat. I miss that thing terribly. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

{censored}load of mojo sent.

Had well over 15k of gear stolen from my apartment while I was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington right at about a year or so back. Was living in Lacey which is a nice suburb of seattle, but apparently no one saw or heard the guy flat out just kick my door open and take all of my gear and mind you it was a LOT, that mofo had to have had a truck and some friends to help him haul that stuff, 6+ guitars, two orange 4x12's (heavy as hell), several heads, tons of pedals and rack gear... pretty much every single piece of equipment I had acquired since I was a teenager, most of the really nice stuff was purchased with the bonus I got from the army, it was a bummer. Honestly I think it was someone who I had a deal with on craigslist (but honestly any people I dealt with seemed like good guys so who knows), since they came in and took all of my guitar equipment, but left my flat screen, ps3, xbox 360, wii, 3 laptops, desktops, as well as a {censored} ton of dvds, games, handheld games like ds lites psp's.... sorry mine isn't a success story, not only did I not have any renters insurance at the time I also never recovered a single piece of gear, even after supplying picktures/serial numbers for every piece of gear (I religiously take pictures of my gear/serial numbers). So from now on, lock your {censored} up and get renters insurance, that is my only advice.... oh and don't show people from craigslist where you live EVER.

Thanks, MyEmergency. My deepest condolences go out to you. Losing a sentimental object like a guitar is such a heartbreaking ordeal. Feels like you lost more than just a mere instrument. Regardless of the price (although it is a damn lot), it seems like you had a lot of cherished instruments that were lost. Tons and tons of mojo sent, my friend. Don't lose hope yet! I've heard of people getting their stuff back 2 years down the road. :)

I will take your advice and get renters insurance. Apparently it's not too expensive. As for craigslist deals, I will make sure to meet with the people in a public place.

Archived