had a few bones removed from my fretting hand wrist yesterday

philbo

• Members

owwie owwie

was there some sort of replacement or repair to compensate for the loss of the bone?

Is the wrist more "floaty" (ie reliant on soft tissue support)?

I have problematic ankles, often I'd rather just have a bone break than the soft tissue get compromised

as it turns out, and luckily for me, the remaining wrist bones (those closest to the hand) simply rest in the socket that the removed bones sat in. the prognosis: (after physical therapy) same flexibilty as before, with 80% of original strength.

• Members

i didnt mean to be unsympathetic. perhaps you will use a slide more often in the future?

Dan

i've intended to get into more slide work; i bought a dobro a while back. i wanted them to install a guitar slide into my cast, but was still knocked out on propofol when they put it on...

• Members

When I was selling my house I had my hands in harsh cleaning crap seemingly for weeks. Add to that what, in retrospect, appeared to be a lapse in my immune system's defenses. My skin was literally pulling apart, raw and red, and everything was painful to touch.

Quite literally, I was unable to fret a guitar (without enormous pain) for several months during which I got sick to death of my Ry Cooder on endless loop bottleneck stylings... But at least it was SOMETHING. :thu:

• Members
When I was selling my house I had my hands in harsh cleaning crap seemingly for weeks. Add to that what, in retrospect, appeared to be a lapse in my immune system's defenses. My skin was literally pulling apart, raw and red, and everything was painful to touch.

Quite literally, I was unable to fret a guitar (without enormous pain) for several months during which I got sick to death of my Ry Cooder on endless loop bottleneck stylings... But at least it was SOMETHING.
:thu:

i understand your pain - - my father had chemical dermatitis for years and was in agony a long time. glad you recovered well.

• Members

When are they taking the cast off? Let me guess.

FRIDAY THE 13 of July

i've intended to get into more slide work; i bought a dobro a while back. i wanted them to install a guitar slide into my cast, but was still knocked out on propofol when they put it on...

• Members

i understand your pain - - my father had chemical dermatitis for years and was in agony a long time. glad you recovered well.

I've had a few bouts with skin rashes, typically related to diet, environment/immersion, and stress. (Imagine.)

• Members

When are they taking the cast off? Let me guess.

FRIDAY THE 13 of July

They took off the original one a week after surgery after taking out the exterior stitches and gave me a new blue fiberglass one. I'm not sure how long that will be on; maybe a month or so.

I picked up my dobro today and played 'bic lighter' slide for a few minutes to see how it worked. I had to put a lot of thought into planning the mechanics of each move to minimize pain... I guess it's too early yet.

For now, the only gear I'll need to carry to gigs is my harmonica case... pretty sweet!

• Members
They took off the original one a week after surgery after taking out the exterior stitches and gave me a new blue fiberglass one. I'm not sure how long that will be on; maybe a month or so.

I picked up my dobro today and played 'bic lighter' slide for a few minutes to see how it worked. I had to put a lot of thought into planning the mechanics of each move to minimize pain... I guess it's too early yet.

For now, the only gear I'll need to carry to gigs is my harmonica case... pretty sweet!

:thu::thu:

• Members

I saw this a few days ago, but I was on my Android so .........don't like typing on it.

Anyway Phil , I have some good news for you! My CARPUL TUNNEL syndrome actually HELPED my drumming, because I had to learn a new, and FASTER way (technique) to play.

So..........maybe the same thing will happen for you !!

Dan

I found a very useful obscure yoga pose that greatly helped my tunnel syndromes.

Put your hands in praying position, with the palms together, but instead of holding them in front of your chest, do it behind your back (between your shoulder blades). You will likely need to start out much lower down your back, with only the tips of your fingers touching each other, but stay with it doing it twice a day, and eventually you'll be able to raise them higher. It is amazing how quickly this improves both flexibility and pain/numbness relief, as well as posture.

I hope you find this helpful.

• Members
i had dislocated a bone in my left wrist about a year ago, and got surgery yesterday to fix it. the pain is comparable to when i amputated a thumb some years ago.... they did a 'proximal row carpectomy' on me. so i'm out here trolling for my HC friends to send me good psychic healing vibes...
:wave:

Best best best wishes for a speedy healthy pain-free recovery.

• Members

Ouch!!! I broke the tip of my left index finger a few weeks ago. It's getting better but I still can't play guitar. On piano, I can loaf more with my left hand. It feels like it's taking forever, but IT IS GETTING BETTER. Hang in there. Yours will, too.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Archived