had a few bones removed from my fretting hand wrist yesterday

philbo

• Members

i had dislocated a bone in my left wrist about a year ago, and got surgery yesterday to fix it. the pain is comparable to when i amputated a thumb some years ago.... they did a 'proximal row carpectomy' on me. so i'm out here trolling for my HC friends to send me good psychic healing vibes... :wave:

• Members

Sorry to hear that and sending psychic mojo your way. I had a friend of mine that worked at a factory where they cut metals for different products. He was my rhythm guitarist at the time. He had two of his fingers cut off by one of their cutting machines. Ended one of my bands instantly because I would never have replaced him. It would have hurt him too much and myself as well. I can't even begin to tell you how much it pained me to see him go through that. He had been playing his entire life and was on of the best rhythm guitarists I had ever played with. He did all the riffs and fills flawlessly. Reminds me; I need to ring him up and see how he's doing. It's been about 21 years since that day...:(

• Members

Philbo I am truly sorry to hear you are dealing with this and I sincerely wish you a speedy and full recovery and hope they are keeping you pain free until healing is complete. Recovery can often just be frustrating as hell. Hang in and give it the time it needs. But then you know this from that thumb. Ouch! Sorry about that also. I did not know about that.

I hope that the prognosis for playing normally again is an excellent one and as soon as you are allowed, get into therapy to get your range of motion going again, even if the discomfort associated with it is tough. Don't let that wrist learn any new bad habits.

I had a friend of mine that worked at a factory where they cut metals for different products. He was my rhythm guitarist at the time. He had two of his fingers cut off by one of their cutting machines.

I was a pro motorcycle mechanic for 25 years. Back then, and even now, I work(ed) with all sorts of unfriendly-to-hands and fingers machinery and tools and lotsa pounding with hammers.

Every single time I used something that could hurt my hands I wondered when something like that might happen. Sorry to hear about your friend's career being cut short like that.

• Members

I too had surgery on my fretting hand 7 years ago. I had broke my wrist and tore two flexor tendons and it had went undetected for 2 months. Needless to say it was a mess to fix. Part of the bone didnt heal and had to be removed. The two flexors' were reattached with metal anchors (permanent) and other bone area had to be clean and reshaped to make up for the missing part. Playing was and is great therapy !!! But my playing is not as it was as a young lad. Slowed down alot because my dexterity is {censored}. And I can only go in small doses of playing or the pain becomes too much. But keep going !!!!! It will get better !!! And you learn to adapt your playing to your dexterity.

• Members

i don't know what to say except, can you soon play more mellow chords, you know the full kitsch which sells millions?

well i did a cover of a marvin hamlisch song once for a high school prom... 'Memories, in the corner of my mind....' hey, i wasn't going to turn down a $700 gig!

plus i have to admit, the chords were actually pretty creative

• Members

I too had surgery on my fretting hand 7 years ago. I had broke my wrist and tore two flexor tendons and it had went undetected for 2 months. Needless to say it was a mess to fix. Part of the bone didnt heal and had to be removed. The two flexors' were reattached with metal anchors (permanent) and other bone area had to be clean and reshaped to make up for the missing part. Playing was and is great therapy !!! But my playing is not as it was as a young lad. Slowed down alot because my dexterity is {censored}. And I can only go in small doses of playing or the pain becomes too much. But keep going !!!!! It will get better !!! And you learn to adapt your playing to your dexterity.

like talking, there is much to be said for playing a few things slowly and clearly, as opposed to playing too much stuff too rapidly. i felt differently when i was 15, playing along with grand funk railroad & stuff, but recognized the wisdom when Gatemouth Brown first showed me analogy between playing and talking. theres a good reason they call it melodic phrasing, right?

• Members

thanks, but you should probably keep your hand; apparently i'm kinda rough on them.

HA! Sorry but this is first thing I thought when I read the OP. I'm thinking damn, you need to change your lifestyle if you want to keep playing guitar.

But seriously Get Well soon that's too bad.

• Members

HA! Sorry but this is first thing I thought when I read the OP. I'm thinking damn, you need to change your lifestyle if you want to keep playing guitar.

But seriously Get Well soon that's too bad.

yep - some of it was bad habits i learned while i was into tae kwon do - - all that time breaking bricks & boards with my hands. fast forward 15 years, here i am doing some work and trying to coax a tire onto a rim; forgetting that my bone density is nowhere near as high as it once was, i used too much force. live & learn....

thanks for the well wishes

• Members

I saw this a few days ago, but I was on my Android so .........don't like typing on it.

Anyway Phil , I have some good news for you! My CARPUL TUNNEL syndrome actually HELPED my drumming, because I had to learn a new, and FASTER way (technique) to play.

So..........maybe the same thing will happen for you !!

Dan

• Members

owwie owwie

was there some sort of replacement or repair to compensate for the loss of the bone?

Is the wrist more "floaty" (ie reliant on soft tissue support)?

I have problematic ankles, often I'd rather just have a bone break than the soft tissue get compromised

Archived