Since it's back-to-school time again, wanna school me on Wolfgangs?

rog951

• Members

Late to the party, I know, but I recently picked up a used Peavey Wolfgang and really like it, but don't know much about the model. The one I have is a black US-made archtop "pat pending" model, with the Peavey Floyd.

I'll try to get some pix up soon, but in the mean time, feel free to school me on Wolfgangs...of course, I'm most interested in the Peavey years.

:wave:

• Members

They're great guitars. I've owned several of each USA model over the years.

Only thing I've noticed lately is that people seem to think they are worth a lot more than they really are based on eBay and sale ads. It seems like everyone is listing their archtop/floyd Wolfgangs for $1500 and up, when in reality they are worth about $900 for a solid color like yours, and maybe up to $1200 for a REALLY nice example of a flame top. And of course, most the ones I've seen listed for ridiculous prices never sell..

• Members

That's a little confusing. Archtop leads me to believe it'd be a Standard, but I could've sworn those came with OFRs and not the licensed ones...I thought those were only on the Specials (Which WERE US-made. The only runs that weren't US-made were the "EXP" series)

• Members

That's a little confusing. Archtop leads me to believe it'd be a Standard, but I could've sworn those came with OFRs and not the licensed ones...I thought those were only on the Specials (Which WERE US-made. The only runs that weren't US-made were the "EXP" series)

All I know if mine says "Peavey" on it in the spot where an OFR says "Floyd Rose". Otherwise, the trem design seems to be exactly like an OFR...no apparent liberties were taken like you see on all the different Ibanez Floyd copies, for example.

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys! Was playing it a little yesterday and those pickups are very hot, which I'm usually not into, but it works on this guitar. Actually more than just "works"; it sounds great!

The only thing I'm not sure about is the way it sits on me...I guess maybe Eddie designed it for his own emaciated frame, not an aging, chubby-ing guy like me. :lol: The neck is set deep into the body such that it sits a little more "to the right" than I'm used to. So, I need to really pay attention when playing or I'll land in the wrong place occasionally. Also, when playing up the neck, it's forcing my left arm to really cross over my torso more than any of my other guitars. Not really comfy with it yet but maybe I'll get used to it.

OMG, the neck! Really love the oiled feel and the sorta wide/thin neck shape and flat board feel great to me.

Still working on pix...

• Members
Thanks for the replies guys! Was playing it a little yesterday and those pickups are very hot, which I'm usually not into, but it works on this guitar. Actually more than just "works"; it sounds great!

The only thing I'm not sure about is the way it sits on me...I guess maybe Eddie designed it for his own emaciated frame, not an aging, chubby-ing guy like me.
:lol:
The neck is set deep into the body such that it sits a little more "to the right" than I'm used to. So, I need to really pay attention when playing or I'll land in the wrong place occasionally. Also, when playing up the neck, it's forcing my left arm to really cross over my torso more than any of my other guitars. Not really comfy with it yet but maybe I'll get used to it.

OMG, the neck! Really love the oiled feel and the sorta wide/thin neck shape and flat board feel great to me.

Still working on pix...

I think it is the fact that the bridge is set so far back that gives you that feeling.

Archived