new MIJ charvels

keithcar

• Members

Im seriously gassing for an 80s superstrat, All i have now is one of the fattest neck LP's ever made and i really miss getting all noodly and doing divebombs with a floyd. I have been looking at the new offerings from charvel that are MIJ, i like the san dimas mod 1 H-H. At first glance, it seems like a pretty good value, OFR, duncans, and i hear the necks are pretty nice. are they raw/oiled? Any scalloping?

:love:the candy blue

2926000818_frt_wlg_001.png

What can you guys tell me about them? are they as nice as they seem? I was on the warmoth site trying to build a similar guitar, but it would honestly end up costing a tad more with the relatively similar specs.

• Members

If you'd build a guitar with the same woods and features, I'd go with the Charvel. If you want to do something a little different with the woods or finish etc, the Warmoth is the way to go. The last thing you want to do is get the Charvel and go "damn, I wish I would have gotten this in cocobolo." Also, make sure you get documentation on the legality of each guitar part. JK.

• Members

If you'd build a guitar with the same woods and features, I'd go with the Charvel. If you want to do something a little different with the woods or finish etc, the Warmoth is the way to go. The last thing you want to do is get the Charvel and go "damn, I wish I would have gotten this in cocobolo." Also, make sure you get documentation on the legality of each guitar part. JK.

lol yeah, on the warmoth there were a couple additional features, mainly some finish options, which really end up costing a lot of money. also, with a pretty bitchin, optioned-out neck with a half scalloped fret board, which i think the charvel wouldnt have:confused:

• Members

Haha, true. As a Warmoth customer, I can honestly say that I really love my tele's neck. If I were you, I'd go with the Charvel unless you want something special done with the neck (a different profile, frets, inlays, etc). Though I personally would want to get a tone knob and a 5 way switch with coil taps, it seems like the Charvel would be less of a hassle and would have a better resale value should you decide to part ways with it. You could conceivably get a Warmoth neck at a later time if you so desire. I've heard great things about Charvel necks so I don't know that you'd be dissatisfied. Don't get into the whole "I wonder what xyz would have been like." If you aren't dissatisfied, don't theorize.

Also, what does your Ceriatone 18 watt sound like? I've been looking at those amps for years and I've never quite known what to think.

• Members

The ceriatone is one of my favorite amps, very touch sensitive and has a nice "grind" when you push the little EL84s. It doesnt have the low end that my 2204 has, but it will get some serious power amp distortion that i cant get with my 2204. Mine is the TMB version with the added MV, however really i only use the 2-knob channel without TMB and MV.

• Members

I am awaiting 1 now :) My bud has been bugging me to sell him my Swede since I got it over a year ago. Finally I broke down and let him take it and got my project Ibby I sold him back and a Squier 51' which I sold and bought an MIA Strat and was going to buy a SG or LP of some sort but I couldn't IMO pass up a brand new 1 for $550.

My new Strat comes today and the Charvel should be here Saturday or Monday & I am going to decide which I like better and trade 1 for a SG or LP maybe :thu:

DV016_Jpg_Large_H65801_002_black.jpg

• Members

Im seriously gassing for an 80s superstrat, All i have now is one of the fattest neck LP's ever made and i really miss getting all noodly and doing divebombs with a floyd. I have been looking at the new offerings from charvel that are MIJ, i like the san dimas mod 1 H-H. At first glance, it seems like a pretty good value, OFR, duncans, and i hear the necks are pretty nice. are they raw/oiled? Any scalloping?

:love:the candy blue

2926000818_frt_wlg_001.png

What can you guys tell me about them? are they as nice as they seem? I was on the warmoth site trying to build a similar guitar, but it would honestly end up costing a tad more with the relatively similar specs.

Keith, I happened upon these 2 websites a few weeks ago; www.exit98guitars.com and www.meanstreetguitars.com and they have some really awesome superstrats for decent money.

• Members

This pic is one of the USA models, isn't it? the MIJ models have chrome hardware, don't they?

Well if that is the case I am wrong,I have a MIA Charvel coming. I just looked at my purchase and it doesn't state which country of manufacture it is. I just assumed for the deal I got on a new 1 it had to be the MIJ:thu: I will know for sure in a couple days:lol:

• Members

I am awaiting 1 now
:)
My bud has been bugging me to sell him my Swede since I got it over a year ago. Finally I broke down and let him take it and got my project Ibby I sold him back and a Squier 51' which I sold and bought an MIA Strat and was going to buy a SG or LP of some sort but I couldn't IMO pass up a brand new 1 for $550.

My new Strat comes today and the Charvel should be here Saturday or Monday & I am going to decide which I like better and trade 1 for a SG or LP maybe
:thu:

DV016_Jpg_Large_H65801_002_black.jpg

$550?!? WHERE?!?

• Members

This pic is one of the USA models, isn't it? the MIJ models have chrome hardware, don't they?

Nope. The new So Cal models still have black hardware and are made in Japan. I should know, as I just got one in trade. I'm definitely not a shredder and not usually a fan of shredder guitars, but I absolutely love it. I'm a huge Strat lover and and it feels comfortable to me. The cosmetics are easier on the eyes for me than the usual metal guitars, and the Floyd on it is the best I've had experience with. Also, the one I got has two coil tap switches (one for each pickup that the previous owner installed) and I really like the single coil tones as well. The neck is kinda like a Fender C shape but a tad thinner and it's got a nice thin matte finish and really nice rolled fingerboard edges. Fantastic instrument. Here's what mine looks like:

Charvel_Pro_Mod_SoCal_2H_Snow_White_JC10

• Members

I am kinda bothered about the lack of a tone knob, I cant lie, playing les pauls for this long has turned me into a real knob-turner. Its still not a deal breaker for the price.

I'm still interested in a used one, ive been looking thru ebay and CL for old jackson/charvels, ESP's kramers, peaveys, etc. so far i really havent found anything that has that curb appeal the MIJ san dimas has.