New Adjustable Eminence Speaker

metal0822

• Members

well, you would really only need to set it once, just so its the best possible match for your amp, then close it up. im not sure i would want easy access to it all the time, i get distracted enough by guitar knobs plus pedal knobs plus amp knobs. the last thing i need is another thing to adjust while trying to play.

• Members

well, you would really only
need
to set it once, just so its the best possible match for your amp, then close it up. im not sure i would want easy access to it all the time, i get distracted enough by guitar knobs plus pedal knobs plus amp knobs. the last thing i need is another thing to adjust while trying to play.

How do you set it with the back open to emulate a closed cab sound. It would be trial and error. Tweak it close it up play. Don't like start again. Repeat until it sounds great.

• Members

true. my old hughes and kettner 212 had a half open back that had a panel you could close it with. it had holes to put your hands through and was attached around the edges with velcro. opening and closing it took but 5 seconds and minimal effort. i never would have sold it if i didnt have to downsize to a combo, it was great looking and well built, wired in stereo with celestions all for like 200 used.

• Members

Yeah, like with anything new...there will be a lot of naysayers...I'm sure that there were a ton of them when attenuators first came out. Can't wait to try one, personally...

I think they are a great idea.

But I'm stuck with whatever speaker they decide to offer with it. And the speaker does a ton of tone-shaping for any amp.

With an outboard attenuator I can buy one and use it for every amp I need to, and still use vintage speakers, Weber, Scumback, Celestion. Eminence doesn't make a good C12N clone like the Weber 12F150.

With the Eminence I would have to buy all new speakers and can't yet get the technology on the Eminence of choice.

• Members

Maybe this is old news...

It's old news, but worth regurgitating:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2560559

As mentioned by Wyatt, I'd normally just go with an external power soaker

over a speaker with a built-in attenuator.

However, I'd consider that Eminence Flux Density Modulation (FDM)

speaker was if I had a single speaker combo that I gigged with that had an

open/semi-open back. At least you wouldn't have to carry around an

outboard power soaker to be able to attenuate your output when needed.

• Members

Yeah, like with anything new...there will be a lot of naysayers...I'm sure that there were a ton of them when attenuators first came out. Can't wait to try one, personally...

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't work but I can't see it doing anything that a good amp, pedal, multi-effects unit doesn't already do and not as good as spending the money on an overall better standard speaker. That's why I called it marketing.

• Members

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't work but I can't see it doing anything that a good amp, pedal, multi-effects unit doesn't already do and not as good as spending the money on an overall better standard speaker. That's why I called it marketing.

The idea is to allow for power amp overdrive...something a pedal or multi-effector won't do. And a good amp doesn't often do at manageable levels. If you want that '60's and '70's Marshall tone, you have to get the power tubes hot; in a high-gain amp, which usually runs a clean power amp, it wouldn't be as important.

The idea behind attenuators is simple, crank the $#!+ out of the amp (especially a non-master volume amp) and attenuate the signal before it reaches the speaker.

• Members

The idea is to allow for power amp overdrive...something a pedal or multi-effector won't do. And a good amp doesn't often do at manageable levels. If you want that '60's and '70's Marshall tone, you have to get the power tubes hot; in a high-gain amp, which usually runs a clean power amp, it wouldn't be as important.

The idea behind attenuators is simple, crank the $#!+ out of the amp (especially a non-master volume amp) and attenuate the signal before it reaches the speaker.

OK, got it! Now, what do they have for Fender amp lovers?;)

• Members

I would like to hear this thing. It just might be the answer to my Bedrock being all but useless in the house.

And as an added plus I get the amusement of reading the post about how this is not needed,wont work,the devils work and other off the wall technophobe guitarist babble.

• Members

I should note that this thing works by making the speaker less efficient (sensitivity ranging from 91-100db).

So, if you are already using an efficient speaker (for example a Legend 1258, 100db), it'll allow you the same volume or less.

But if your stock speaker is a Greenback (93db) or other inefficient speaker, the maximum attenuation isn't going to be that big of drop from what you have already.

Don't expect bedroom levels from this. Each 3db drop is like halving your output wattage. So it all depends on what your stock speaker is now.

If there is more to it than that it isn't evident from their description.

Archived