New Adjustable Eminence Speaker

metal0822

• Members

I should note that this thing works by making the speaker less efficient (sensitivity ranging from 91-100db).

So, if you are already using an efficient speaker (for example a Legend 1258, 100db), it'll allow you the same volume or less.

But if your stock speaker is a Greenback (93db) or other inefficient speaker, the maximum attenuation isn't going to be that big of drop from what you have already.

Don't expect bedroom levels from this. Each 3db drop is like halving your output wattage. So it all depends on what your stock speaker is now.

If there is more to it than that it isn't evident from their description.

Very good point. Thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

o i didnt realize it worked like an attenuator, i thought it was more like tone shaping. still a cool idea though

It is both an attenuation device (that works by moving the magnet's proximity to the voice coil and hence adjusting the field it creates), and a by-product of that adjustment is also a change in the speaker's tone as well as the volume drop.

The speaker (Eminence FDM Maverick, in my case) sounds great both at full output and fully attenuated imo. Mine is brand new and still needs some break in before it is 100% as design intended.

Eminence does not recommend using either the Reignmaker or the Maverick in closed-backed cabs.

While I naturally prefer some models over others, I've never heard a bad Emi speaker. The full output of the Maverick sounds alot like a vintage 30 to me.

It doesn't have the mid-hump and "honk" that the V30 or the Reignmaker has to my ears. The "American voiced" Patriot Series have a more scooped tone than the Redcoats.

The Maverick reminds me of their C-Rex when at about 50-60% attenuation. (I have a rather bright amp though, Ampeg Gemini I)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It is both an attenuation device (that works by moving the magnet's proximity to the voice coil and hence adjusting the field it creates), and a by-product of that adjustment is also a change in the speaker's tone as well as the volume drop.

The speaker (Eminence FDM Maverick, in my case) sounds great both at full output and fully attenuated imo. Mine is brand new and still needs some break in before it is 100% as design intended.

Eminence does not recommend using either the Reignmaker or the Maverick in closed-backed cabs.

While I naturally prefer some models over others, I've never heard a bad Emi speaker. The full output of the Maverick sounds alot like a vintage 30 to me.

It doesn't have the mid-hump and "honk" that the V30 or the Reignmaker has to my ears. The "American voiced" Patriot Series have a more scooped tone than the Redcoats.

The Maverick reminds me of their C-Rex when at about 50-60% attenuation. (I have a rather bright amp though, Ampeg Gemini I)

care to post any clips of the new speaker?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

care to post any clips of the new speaker?

I'll put something on Youtube as soon as we get into our new place and get my setup together.

Speaker has about 40-50 hrs on it at good volume, startin to break in nicely though. Definitely smoothing out. Great experience so far. The support from Eminence was pretty amazing I gotta say. I shot 'em a few emails with questions and the next morning Anthony Lucas had an answer for me quick each time. Great company imo. USA made too, awesome.

• Members

Can you elaborate on why?

I can not.

I can guess it might be as simple as an access issue. Or it may be more complicated, like the extra abuse it takes in a closed-back cab. In an open-back cab, the negative soundwaves from the backward movement of the speaker shoot out the back of the amp and disperse; in a closed-back cab they bounce around and pummel the back of the speaker.

Archived