My budget is $650 and I'm looking for a shredder...

98 les paul

• Members

What do you recommend? Here are my stipulations:

Floyd Rose

Compound Radius neck and really low action without buzzing

Nice PUPs (As in Dimarzios or Duncans, etc...no overseas/chinese garbage)

No excessive pointyness...sorry I can't stand really pointy guitars

I should say that one of my ideal guitars for this would have been the Charvel Pro Mod Wild Card that AMS just blew out for $497, but alas, that store is not where I live :mad:

• Members

that price should grab you a charvel pro mod easy. In fact there was a usa pro mod style 2 san dimas at alto music in middletown ny.. new, marked for clearance for something like

you can buy a used promod (MIJ) within your budget, and occasionally find a used USA one too if you're diligent. I would sell you one of mine but I love them too much to part with them..

oh and btw it was sam ash that sold those for $497.. ask me how I know.. =)

• Members

This is a pretty sweet option. I've played a ton of LTDs and they're excellent guitars. I don't think it has a compound radius but it hits all your other criteria. The action can be disgustingly low on these guitars too. My EC500 has the lowest action of any guitar I've owned and it does not buzz.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ec-401-electric-guitar-with-floyd-rose-bridge/476286000001000

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_476286.001_black_close_a

These are also good options, they have the compound radius but less than awesome pickups. I've actually had a guitar with the EMG-Hz in them and they aren't bad at all, just not amazing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-slxq-soloist-x-series-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-dxmg-dinky-electric-guitar/520315

• Members

that price should grab you a charvel pro mod easy. In fact there was a usa pro mod style 2 san dimas at alto music in middletown ny.. new, marked for clearance for something like

you can buy a used promod (MIJ) within your budget, and occasionally find a used USA one too if you're diligent. I would sell you one of mine but I love them too much to part with them..

oh and btw it was sam ash that sold those for $497.. ask me how I know.. =)

Thanks for the correction. Now, go ahead and sell it to me ;)

• Members

I was in your shoes a few months back with the same budget until I fell in love with the Schecter Loomis FR, so that will be my next shredder, its $1000. I was looking at Ibanez RGs. Very good guitars, you can find loads of them in good condition on ebay, even ones with the origional Edge, one of the best trems ever. Craigslist is also a good option. Many people told me to check out Jacksons and Charvels too. Used Carvins are also an option. Ravencad always has good tips when it comes to shredders, wait for him to chime in.

• Members

Two really nice Charvel San Dimas axes at my local GC. Used, but barely...one is $500, other is $550. Both have two humbuckers and an original Floyd. One has DiMarzios, other Seymour Duncans. Were I not on a buying hiatus, one would already be mine.

On a side note, if you're truly looking for a "shredder," Ibanez is hard to beat. Someone has a really nice RG520QS on here for around $500, but I bet you could talk him down. ...and no, it's not me. :-) Those are sweet guitars--I have had two (still have one). Edge trem, wizard neck, quilted top, mahogany body, two hums with a 5 way switch and some stratty tones at pos. 2 & 4. Japanese made, and not as popular as the 550, which usually keeps the price way below what it should be on these.

• Members

Two really nice Charvel San Dimas axes at my local GC. Used, but barely...one is $500, other is $550. Both have two humbuckers and an original Floyd. One has DiMarzios, other Seymour Duncans. Were I not on a buying hiatus, one would already be mine.

On a side note, if you're truly looking for a "shredder," Ibanez is hard to beat. Someone has a really nice RG520QS on here for around $500, but I bet you could talk him down. ...and no, it's not me. :-) Those are sweet guitars--I have had two (still have one). Edge trem, wizard neck, quilted top, mahogany body, two hums with a 5 way switch and some stratty tones at pos. 2 & 4. Japanese made, and not as popular as the 550, which usually keeps the price way below what it should be on these.

Would you mind giving me the link to said guitar for sale?

• Members

Another vote for Ibanez! Its hard to be an RG, especially an older one. I don't think they've ever had the compound radius neck, though.

Just make sure you're buying a Japan-made Ibanez, avoid all others! (except the small number of USA Custom ones that are out there...) If in doubt, look at the serial number on the back of the headstock; if the first thing you see is "F", that means it was made in Japan, and that you should buy it.

Archived