Jake E. Lee: Criminally under-appreciated

EricJohn

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Jake was always underapreciated.. That guy could play his ass off and got NO credit. He also had a killer collection of Charvels.
AND, this guy did all his trem tricks ON A HARDTAIL BRIDGE! No FLoyd or Kahlers! WAY underrated. Great writing too.
Both jake era Ozzy discs are tight through and through.

• Members

Look for Jake's (relatively) recent solo CD Retraced, an album of covers of songs he liked when he was growing up.

His version of Trapeze's Way Back to the Bone alone -- a pretty faithful cover with slightly more modern guitar tone (but in a good way) -- is worth the price of the CD.

Edit: just saw this --

-- and have to disagree.

• Members

really like his style. def one of my favourite guitarists for the 80s hard rock thing, along with warren demartini

Yeah, Jake, DeMartini and George Lynch were 3 of my favorites in the 80s. They all had great tone and great chops. Too bad Badlands couldn't keep their sh!t together. That first album was so great.

• Members

Its funny because I thought for years that I was the only one that held him in as high regard as Rhoads. I liked all of Ozzy's albums and his selection of guitarists is uncanny and undoubtedly lucky, but when he fired Jake I wasn't happy at all about it.

• Members

Yeah, Jake, DeMartini and George Lynch were 3 of my favorites in the 80s. They all had great tone and great chops. Too bad Badlands couldn't keep their sh!t together. That first album was so great.

Unless I'm mistaken their demise was more due to Ray Gillen's health issues than anything else...

• Members

Unless I'm mistaken their demise was more due to Ray Gillen's health issues than anything else...

You are not mistaken at all.

I saw this thread a while back. I don't know...rumours can be pretty far off - in this case I hope so.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/cellar/156389-jake-e-lee-found.html

thread may take a bit to load

• Members

Well, what's he done lately? Like in the last decade that's created any stir in the market?

this has absolutely nothing to do with him being a great guitar player. You want to like someone who creates a stir in the "market"? Go buy a Justin Bieber album.

• Members
From what I've read, his ego got him fired. He became very selective about which rehearsals he would show up for, and when he did, he was a little bossy about how people should play parts to songs. The O$bournes have certainly screwed him over though, as they have his publishing rights, he earns no royalties. Which is why from time to time you see his guitars for sale on ebay. His white SG that he used in some videos sold on ebay 2 or 3 years ago.

------------^^^^^^^^^This crap is the {censored}e that Sharon Osbourne put out, and is simple {censored}e, nothing more, nothing less. Jake had a hard time with Ozzy overwhelming substance abuse problems, and that caused serious friction between the two(Jake was a martial artist who was deep into fitness during this time period, and didn't want to be around Ozzy demons). Jake wasn't the type to fight with Ozzy, he'd turn his back and walk away, furthering the distance between them(Zakk was a big drinker like Ozzy, so wasn't any problems there either). The other thing that was a problem was the fact that Ozzy payed these guys PEANUTS(for tour work AND song writing, and that wasn't fair to anyone!). Back during the Ulimate Sin days, Ozzy had concert guarantees of $100,000 or more PER SHOW, but was paying Jake LESS than One Grand a week!!! You would walk too, It you had any brains as well. Same reasons Zakk is now gone, why Jake is gone, while Brad Gillis is gone(and Randy was planning to leave after the tour he was killed on.). Jake is a great guitar player who didn't get a fair break then, from the Osbournes who are LEGENDARY for screwing ANYONE who works with them or for them........................The REAL Rocker.

Archived