1963 Gibson SG - Ebay listing -

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

I was well into bidding for this, as the seller and the whole demeanour of the guitar looked pretty kosher.

The only issue the seller highlighted in the listing was that it had a "top quality refret"

Now there's quite a few of us on here that have seen a few refrets in our time, and I'm wondering how many of you would designate this "top quality"

There's two ways of refretting a Gibson bound board

1. Remove old frets, remove fret nibs, refret over and including the binding

2. Carefully remove frets, replicate each fret lengthwise painstakingly and refret between the nibs

There is the third option of removing the binding, fretting and putting new binding on and scraping to replicate Gibson's fret end stylee, but thats a tad more than a refret, closer to refurbish/refinish work

But whoever fretted this found another way, and it's worthy of the double facepalm

Refret, between the binding and remove the nibs.......:facepalm:

63SG014.jpg

• Members

There is another way to refret Gibsons, Dan Erlewine does it. Take the SG in question, dissolve some binding material mixed with a bit of toner so it matches the original, and paint the nibs onto the fret ends.

This is the easiest way, it has caught on so fast that even the local luthiers where i live do it this way now.

• Moderators

This is the easiest way, it has caught on so fast that even the local luthiers where i live do it this way now.

So, it gets painted on, then shaped? Problem is with an oldish guitar the top surface is gonna be whitish while the outside face should be sorta same colour as the discouloured lacquer on the neck?

Ain't there a whole lotta colour matching issues?

• Members

So, it gets painted on, then shaped? Problem is with an oldish guitar the top surface is gonna be whitish while the outside face should be sorta same colour as the discouloured lacquer on the neck?

Ain't there a whole lotta colour matching issues?

Yes thats why he mentions toner to color the nib material. I've seen a few and if done right they dont look bad.

Normally they will try to match the frets between the nibs then the ones that are lost need to be recreated.

I cant see trying to make them all if you dont have to.

• Members

I "handled" a 64 on Satdeh in t'local emporium aftre a "
guitar from the year you were born
" thread last week, and I'd developed a severe 64 sized chink in my of late very strong armour

'64? You were LUCKY! I was born in 1951 ... so the only solidbodies to choose from would be first-year Teles and P-Basses ... or eye-wateringly expensive Gibsons, Martins etc ...

A Clash memory ... bumping into Mick Jones in Manhattan the afternoon before they played the Palladium. He'd just returned from 48th St clutching a guitar case. It was raining so he didn't open it up for inspection, but he told me, 'I've just bought a guitar that's older than I am.' Jonesy was born in 1955 ...

Archived