What happened to rock radio?

Folder

• Members

Another Atlanta Rock radio station bites the dust:

Clear Channel Flips WKLS/Atlanta To CHR "Power 96.1"

August 30, 2012

Ryan Seacrest on-stage

announcing the debut of Power 96.1

On Wednesday night, Clear Channel flipped Active Rock WKLS (Project 9-6-1)/Atlanta to CHR, rebranding the station as "Power 96.1." The station will carry Elvis Duran and Ryan Seacrest's syndicated programming, starting next Tuesday, September 4. Duran moves from sister CC Rhythmic station WWLG (WiLD 105.7 &96.7) to the new Power 96.1. The station's complete programming lineup will be announced soon.

Seacrest himself (an Atlanta native) made a surprise appearance at the Enrique Iglesias & Jennifer Lopez concert last night, personally announcing the launch of Power 96.1. "It

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No radio stations play Big Band music anymore either. There were still a couple in most cities up until the 80s.

Big Band music was pretty much over by the 50's or 60's.

New rock music is still being made and still has a sizable fan base.

I started this thread because of these quotes in Ken Scott's book:

"The major labels are gone and we will see a rise of artists doing it for themselves" .

"The hard part is how to get the act's recorded music in front of the public. My thought is that we need to go back to where it's more like it was on the 60's and 70's radio stations."

Now, a lot of people have commented that they don't listen to the radio and that they don't think radio matters any more. That's fine.

I happen to disagree.

I don't think that radio will ever go away. So long as it's possible to broadcast sound over the airways somebody will continue to do it. I also believe that radio will continue to be the dominant musical tastemaker. Artists who get played on the radio will continue to be the most popular and most artists will strive to be played on the radio.

"My mistake" in starting this thread was making the "blanket assumption" that rock radio is the same everywhere.

In Atlanta there are three stations that play primarily rock music. One plays what I now know to be called "active rock" what I previously referred to as "angry, aggressive, distortion rock.

We have one other rock station that plays a mix of new "active rock" and classic hard rock.

And we have one "classic hits" station that plays a "small variety" of classic rock songs from the seventies and eighties (mostly seventies)

If the Beatles or the Rolling Stones were to come out today I can't imagine any Atlanta radio station playing them. There is no rock station in Atlanta that plays new "non-active rock"

If the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac came out today I can't imagine any Atlanta radio station playing them. What used to be called "adult contempory" now plays Lady GaGa, Katy Perry and hip-hop.

If R.E.M. or the Pixies came out today I can't imagine any Atlanta radio station playing them. We no longer have an alternative rock station.

There are several "top forty" pop stations in Atlanta that play whatever rock songs make it into the top forty. But most of the music played on these stations is hip-hop, teen pop and computer generated type music.

This list is outdated and incorrect.

http://www.radiolineup.com/locate/30340

I just got back from spending a week in Des Moines Iowa.

Des Moines has two great "adult alternative" stations. Atlanta has none.

Des Moines has a great "alternative rock" station. Atlanta has none.

Des Moines has three pretty decent "adult contemporary" stations. Atlanta's only "adult contemporary" station plays "Enrique Iglesias featuring Pitbull"

Des Moines has "FOUR !" really good "classic rock" stations including a "classic hits" station. Atlanta has one "classic hits" station but no "classic rock" station.

Des Moines has a great "college radio" station that is kind of like an adventurous "adult alternative" station. Atlanta has a college station that plays a whole lot of "gangsta rap"

http://www.radiolineup.com/locate/Des-Moines-IA

Now, Atlanta has more than ten times the population of Des Moines Iowa.

So why does Des Moines Iowa have so much more variety when it comes to rock radio?

A few people have mentioned demographics. Others have mentioned corporate radio.

I don't know the answer. I just know that less than ten years ago there were more good rock stations than I could even fit on my radio dial.:cry:

• Members

I have a feeling the radio dial isn't where it's going to happen though. Which is fine.

The internet opens up so much freedom. We're not bound by a TV networks restrictions. Or Clear Channel's. So, I believe we need a situation where there is access to a DJs taste. Many. This notion seems foreign in a way, that with the democracy offered by the internet, we would want to focus on a single person's taste. But...

...sometimes that sort of bold personalty and taste can inspire others in a way the the less than focused tundra that is the interwebz can't.

Late arrival on this thread, but I agree that the Internet, and particularly YouTube, are the places to find new music these days. I've found parts of the world and musical styles I would never have heard about otherwise - soukous from Africa, pop from Somalia, salegy (Jaojoby!), Hawaiian slack key guitar (Gabby Pahinui!), Indian folk-pop, chalga (Andrea! Emanuela!), gnawa (Gnawa Diffusion!), all sorts of stuff. Tina Karol in Ukraine is my favorite female vocalist.

I also picked up Broadsword and the Beast from iTunes recently, after reading somewhere that Ian Anderson thought it Jethro Tull's best album. I turned off on Tull after being disappointed by Warchild, and only came back after the accident of taking a chance on Rupi's Dance reminded me the core of what I've always loved in Ian Anderson's work is still there.

Also picked up Paul Oakenfold's Planet Perfecto Sessions from last year.

YouTube unfortunately hit the peak of its openness around 2006; much of what used to be fresh has been replaced by more homogenized sound (I use chalga, and the evolution of Payner.bg, as an example; it's gone from an interesting mix of folk with pop, distinctive sound, to more of the Bulgarian branch of ClearChannel these days). Corporate influence kills everything.

Part of the solution, I'm suggesting, is to go wider with your tastes. I refused rap for many years, got interested in it for awhile, saw it die and moved on.

Always be curious to see what's happening; rock as our generation knew it is long gone, but may mix into something else when it's rediscovered in the future.

• Members
Big Band music was pretty much over by the 50's or 60's.

New rock music is still being made and still has a sizable fan base.

I started this thread because of these quotes in Ken Scott's book:

"The major labels are gone and we will see a rise of artists doing it for themselves" .

"The hard part is how to get the act's recorded music in front of the public. My thought is that we need to go back to where it's more like it was on the 60's and 70's radio stations."

Now, a lot of people have commented that they don't listen to the radio and that they don't think radio matters any more. That's fine.

I happen to disagree.

I don't think that radio will ever go away. So long as it's possible to broadcast sound over the airways somebody will continue to do it. I also believe that radio will continue to be the dominant musical tastemaker. Artists who get played on the radio will continue to be the most popular and most artists will strive to be played on the radio.

"My mistake" in starting this thread was making the "blanket assumption" that rock radio is the same everywhere.

In Atlanta there are three stations that play primarily rock music. One plays what I now know to be called "active rock" what I previously referred to as "angry, aggressive, distortion rock.

We have one other rock station that plays a mix of new "active rock" and classic hard rock.

And we have one "classic hits" station that plays a "small variety" of classic rock songs from the seventies and eighties (mostly seventies)

If the Beatles or the Rolling Stones were to come out today I can't imagine any Atlanta radio station playing them. There is no rock station in Atlanta that plays new "non-active rock"

If the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac came out today I can't imagine any Atlanta radio station playing them. What used to be called "adult contempory" now plays Lady GaGa, Katy Perry and hip-hop.

If R.E.M. or the Pixies came out today I can't imagine any Atlanta radio station playing them. We no longer have an alternative rock station.

There are several "top forty" pop stations in Atlanta that play whatever rock songs make it into the top forty. But most of the music played on these stations is hip-hop, teen pop and computer generated type music.

This list is outdated and incorrect.

http://www.radiolineup.com/locate/30340

I just got back from spending a week in Des Moines Iowa.

Des Moines has two great "adult alternative" stations. Atlanta has none.

Des Moines has a great "alternative rock" station. Atlanta has none.

Des Moines has three pretty decent "adult contemporary" stations. Atlanta's only "adult contemporary" station plays "Enrique Iglesias featuring Pitbull"

Des Moines has "FOUR !" really good "classic rock" stations including a "classic hits" station. Atlanta has one "classic hits" station but no "classic rock" station.

Des Moines has a great "college radio" station that is kind of like an adventurous "adult alternative" station. Atlanta has a college station that plays a whole lot of "gangsta rap"

http://www.radiolineup.com/locate/Des-Moines-IA

Now, Atlanta has more than ten times the population of Des Moines Iowa.

So why does Des Moines Iowa have so much more variety when it comes to rock radio?

A few people have mentioned demographics. Others have mentioned corporate radio.

I don't know the answer. I just know that less than ten years ago there were more good rock stations than I could even fit on my radio dial.
:cry:

The problem is not with radio, the technology, but radio the public trust. Regulations in place for most of the 20th century forced competition and diversity and were a bulwark against the sort of wholesale business -- and programming content -- consolidation that has arguably turned the institution of the 'public airwaves' into an empty joke. And the de facto decriminalization of payola was the last nail in the coffin.

• Members

In the UK, we have digital radio where BBC 6 Music plays new rock/alternative/Pitchfork-esque stuff, and it's ludicrously brilliant. I listened to an hour last night and found three new artists I wanted to hear more of, and a song by Bill Fay that made my head spin, it was that good.

I stepped out of radio for years, but now I've stepped back in, and like-minded friends are doing the same. The DJs are often respected musicians/singers themselves (Guy Garvey of Elbow and Jarvis Cocker of Pulp two of my favourites, might not mean much to you stateside though I suppose!) and there is a great mix of playlist stuff (which is still alternative type stuff, just the more successful end) and esoteric choices by the DJs.

• Members

2lddg2h.jpg

99X FTW.....

I won't say this radio station changed my life....but from 1992-2001 or so, it had an enormous influence on my musical tastes and my overall outlook on life.

In fact, to my understanding, 99X was considered something of a pioneer in the alternative radio industry, and played a pivotal role in launching the careers of many popular artists.

Alas, all good things must come to an end.....and in the end, 99X outlived its own relevance. By the time they pulled the plug in 2008 or so, it had become a shadow of its once-proud self. A parody of itself.

But I'll tell ya.......in its day, 99x was one of the greatest radio stations I've ever heard. Great programming, great on-air personalities, great sense of community with its listeners. It was the whole package.

• Members

Church to With connected with a light upon spotless on the made-up doctrines of Quarters of the damned, Salvation and Tithing.

Vicar John McMcartin said, this is most great revelation since the deathlike onrush scrolls

Sink-hole in manage and espy because yourself http://www.bible-truths.Com

Would paramour to consider from you guys why this took so long to divulge and what they Church is saying wide their change of position

• Members

2lddg2h.jpg

99X FTW.....

I won't say this radio station changed my life....but from 1992-2001 or so, it had an enormous influence on my musical tastes and my overall outlook on life.

In fact, to my understanding, 99X was considered something of a pioneer in the alternative radio industry, and played a pivotal role in launching the careers of many popular artists.

Alas, all good things must come to an end.....and in the end, 99X outlived its own relevance. By the time they pulled the plug in 2008 or so, it had become a shadow of its once-proud self. A parody of itself.

But I'll tell ya.......in its day, 99x was one of the greatest radio stations I've ever heard. Great programming, great on-air personalities, great sense of community with its listeners. It was the whole package.

99X was indeed a fine radio station! The voice of a generation in the south.

I don't agree that it ever lost it's relevance. It may have lost it's edge once the music business picked up on the alternative rock label and started signing every Nirvana/ Pixies clone in the country. But it continued to serve it's purpose till the end and I miss it dearly.

But here's what I don't get.

What are the people who grew up on 99X supposed to listen to now?

It's not like all the Gen-Xers and Baby Boomers fell off the face of the earth.

We are still out here.

After DAVE FM leaves the air next month we will have nothing to listen to. Why does a city the size of Atlanta, which ten years ago had more great radio stations than would fit in my car radio dial not have one decent rock station now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Pandora has literally changed the way I listen to music, not to mention the ability to have a ton of music on the phone, the concept of letting someone else choose my music for me is a dead topic.

You can't choose music that you don't know exists.

David Byrne has a really good new book called "How Music Works"

In it there is chapter called "Technology Shapes Music" where he talks about the people who walk around with earbuds in their ears.

He says:

Private listening could be viewed as the height of narcissism - these devices usually exclude everyone else from the experience of enjoying music.

When you listen to the radio. You are sharing the experience with others.

As a radio listener you are a participant in the larger culture of popular music and helping support the music business and musicians.

When radio stations quit playing rock music then you lose one of your best sources for exposing rock music to the largest number of potential fans. Both the artists and the fans suffer.

Archived