That sound I've always tried to get from humbuckers

Faber

• Members

I think I found it in my tele :facepalm:

I've never been after a super distorted, smooth sound - the kind of sound I've been looking for in a bridge humbucker have been brash, cutting, not terribly distorted but biting. Something along some of Jimi Page's sounds on HTWWW or Clapton with the Bluesbreakers. Those sounds came from Gibsons, so I figured that was what I had to get. I've had several gibson style instruments over the years and never found quite what I was looking for. sure some of them sounded great, but they were always a bit compressed feeling, and a bit smooth and while I'm sure it's down to operator error I often found the bass a bit hard to control. Lately I've been playing my tele almost exclusively and I'll be damned if it isn't all there - bite but with girth, just the right kind of rudeness with gain while retaining definition, brash but open.

Sometimes, hindsight make me feel utterly clueless :facepalm:

• Members

Sometimes it depends on your own personal pick attack.

The way I play makes it easier for me to get say, an Angus Young tone out P90s than out of H/Bs.

Authentic gear isn't always the answer.

Unless I'm playing metal, H/Bs always turn to mud for me. It's not the pickups' fault, it's just how I hit the strings.

• Members

I think I found it in my tele
:facepalm:

Yes, Teles can do some awesome things. The sound that Bruce Springsteen is winding out on his lead spot while playing with the Wallflowers on MTV '97 awards show...at 2:30 and again to close at 3:55 is nice...it has that bit of abrasiveness.

Incidentally, I saw the Wallflowers live once and they had about 10 times the energy in that video as they did live...it seriously seemed like they were eating hash before the show. Uninspired, plodding, and on the verge of falling asleep is what it seemed like...then they verbally berated the audience for 'not being into it'.

• Members

This isn't helpful at all, but I figured out a long time ago that, as much as I think I know, I don't know {censored} about {censored}. :lol:

Whether trying to audibly decipher of Page is using an LP or a Tele... listening to Yngwie's tones on his first solo album... I know there's a lot of studio stuff going on there, but walking around the Dallas Guitar Show three years in a row, hearing a great tone and having a picture in your mind of how he was getting that tone only to find out that it was a strat through a Fender amp and a pedal rather than an HB guitar through a JBM800...

:idk:

Different paths, man. I was at Doc Morbius's place the other day. I'd bought a Lovepedal and we were trying different guitar and combos for {censored}s and giggles. One of the best Marshall tones we got that day was an American Jazzmaster with flat wound strings through a Vibrosonic. That pedal just brought the rock.

:idk:

• Members

Yes! I liked the les paul sound, but wanted a bit more clarity and articulation. I first went to the fender toronado (gibson pups/scale with fender bolt-on construction). It was a step in the right direction, but I realized it wasnt where I wanted to be.

Then I watched this vid on youtube, and started listening to more Roy Buchanon.

[video=youtube;IgZFWCZLMJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgZFWCZLMJM

I picked up a Baja tele and ran it through my Class 5 and it was good. All the clarity and articulation I wanted, with plenty of muscle behind it. And when combining the neck and bridge in series you get almost an idealized humbucker tone. I love the tele, and Im pretty sure its a guitar I will be using alot from here out :)

I think I found it in my tele

I've never been after a super distorted, smooth sound - the kind of sound I've been looking for in a bridge humbucker have been brash, cutting, not terribly distorted but biting. Something along some of Jimi Page's sounds on HTWWW or Clapton with the Bluesbreakers. Those sounds came from Gibsons, so I figured that was what I had to get. I've had several gibson style instruments over the years and never found quite what I was looking for. sure some of them sounded great, but they were always a bit compressed feeling, and a bit smooth and while I'm sure it's down to operator error I often found the bass a bit hard to control. Lately I've been playing my tele almost exclusively and I'll be damned if it isn't all there - bite but with girth, just the right kind of rudeness with gain while retaining definition, brash but open.

Sometimes, hindsight make me feel utterly clueless

• Members

This isn't helpful at all, but I figured out a long time ago that, as much as I
think
I know, I don't know {censored} about {censored}.
:lol:

TRUE!! A friend of mine long ago said "the more you know - the more you don't know" and I learned it shortly after he said that.

BUT, I still feel somewhat compelled to list a bunch of members here that I know more than...:cop:

• Members

Speaking about Yngwie I think he actually uses stacked dimarzios which I think makes them closer to humbuckers that regular strat single coils.

I dunno about that. I've had two guitars with HS3s and one with a YJM in the bridge and HS3s in the bridge and my current beater has an HS3 in the bridge. In all instances, they sound MUCH more like single coils than like any humbuckers I've ever used. They are very bright and very low output.

Just my opinion, anyway.

• Members

Les did have a fairly bright sound, but Les made his own guitars, and they were semi hollow.

Dont call me Shirley! Look at the facts, Les was married in 1948, had his first hit in 1949. Leo Fender started making Teles in late 1949. Draw your own conclusion.

• Members

You can't assume that just because you're using the same guitar/amp as the tone that you want to ape, you'll be able to dial it in.

Why? IT"S A RECORDING!

The signal is going through a high end Neve board then looping through a couple of high end tube compressors and other tone shaping devices before it is even mixed down. Then the mastering process further alters the original tone.

You can get close to the general character of your favorite guitar tone, but even your little handycam that you take to a concert is gonna compress and limit the signal.

Archived