That sound I've always tried to get from humbuckers

Faber

• Members

Agreed. But I have seen no evidence (admittedly Les had an interest in NOT doing so) that Les played a tele. He sure could have-shoot I can make my baja sound like a paul at times...

You can't assume that just because you're using the same guitar/amp as the tone that you want to ape, you'll be able to dial it in.

Why? IT"S A RECORDING!

The signal is going through a high end Neve board then looping through a couple of high end tube compressors and other tone shaping devices before it is even mixed down. Then the mastering process further alters the original tone.

You can get close to the general character of your favorite guitar tone, but even your little handycam that you take to a concert is gonna compress and limit the signal.

• Members

You can't assume that just because you're using the same guitar/amp as the tone that you want to ape, you'll be able to dial it in.

Why? IT"S A RECORDING!

The signal is going through a high end Neve board then looping through a couple of high end tube compressors and other tone shaping devices before it is even mixed down. Then the mastering process further alters the original tone.

You can get close to the general character of your favorite guitar tone, but even your little handycam that you take to a concert is gonna compress and limit the signal.

As I get older I'm increasingly aware of how little I know :D

I agree, there's really no way to make out what an instrument sounded like originally by listening to a recording. I've been in enough studios ove the years to know this. And yet, it's an easy fact to forget.

I'll also agree that a player's attack probably have a lot to do with it.

Archived