Why are P90 equipped Gibsons not hum cancelling in the middle position?

Electric Catfish

• Members

don't worry, the boomers are starting to die off. progress will eventually be made.

That's classy.

You know, when the boomers do "start to die off" and they leave behind their vintage Gibsons and Fenders, I'll bet my left nut that the same people who run down the classic guitars today will suddenly be singing a different song should they be so fortunate to inherit one.

• Members

That's classy.

You know, when the boomers do "start to die off" and they leave behind their vintage Gibsons and Fenders, I'll bet my left nut that the same people who run down the classic guitars today will suddenly be singing a different song should they be so fortunate to inherit one.

please kill me if i become one of those people.

• Members

Anybody know why the neck pickup isn't rwrp on Gibsons with 2 P90's? Tele's are the same setup, 2 single coils, and are hum cancelling (at least the modern ones are...), so it's obviously possible...

Just something I've wondered about for a while. Anybody have any insight?

Because that's the way they were in 1957....:poke: :D

• Members

Because that's the way they were in 1957....:poke:
:D

It probably is this.

Another reason is that I've been told that the humcancelling is only or at least most effective when the pickups are at smililar outputs. That is, that they would humcancel with both pickups at 10, but turn one of them down and you reintroduce the hum. Can anyone confirm this? I've only ever har rwrp pickups in guitars with a single volume so I've never had that issue, but I can see why humcancelling might be thought less efficient with a double volume setup.

• Members

It probably is this.

Another reason is that I've been told that the humcancelling is only or at least most effective when the pickups are at smililar outputs. That is, that they would humcancel with both pickups at 10, but turn one of them down and you reintroduce the hum. Can anyone confirm this? I've only ever har rwrp pickups in guitars with a single volume so I've never had that issue, but I can see why humcancelling might be thought less efficient with a double volume setup.

Yes, the hum would cancel in exactly the same way as the signals add. This is not as big an issue as it might seem, as the signal adding with 2 passive volume controls is not very linear. Particularly in Gibsons where turning either volume to zero gives you zero output (and wouldalso give zero hum).

• Members

The simple answer is, what is the point? Why have one out of three positions hum-cancelling? What if you want to use the other two positions (which most people do, most of the time)?

I never understood it on Strats, either. Only the two Cheezy Ray Vaughn sounds are hum-cancelling. What about the rest of us? :lol:

• Members

Yes, the hum would cancel in exactly the same way as the signals add. This is not as big an issue as it might seem, as the signal adding with 2 passive volume controls is not very linear. Particularly in Gibsons where turning either volume to zero gives you zero output (and wouldalso give zero hum).

I agree but i also see why someone at Gibson would think "humcancelling that works some of the time" isn't much of a catchfrase saleswise, and that might be one reason not to put it on there

• Members

The simple answer is, what is the point? Why have one out of three positions hum-cancelling? What if you want to use the other two positions (which most people do, most of the time)?

I never understood it on Strats, either. Only the two Cheezy Ray Vaughn sounds are hum-cancelling. What about the rest of us?
:lol:

I've gigged places with so much noise from the electric system that the humcancelling positions on my strat absolutely saved the gig for me. But yeah, i'd be nice to have all of them like that

• Members

I've gigged places with so much noise from the electric system that the humcancelling positions on my strat absolutely saved the gig for me. But yeah, i'd be nice to have all of them like that

There's one place I play occasionally where I learned I absolutely can't use my LP Special. The strat hum is bearable there, though...the P90's are noisier than Fender SC's are, seems to me.

I can see the "obsolete" thing, far as the invention of the HB in the 50's went, but, OTOH, they continued to make P90 guitars (or was there a gap where they didn't?), and save the historic, supposedly dead-on reissues, I can't imagine why they don't now, really.

• Members

A hum canceling p90 set of pups reverse wound should sound great,as a humbucker is 2 single coils reverse wound is !

I have set of HB sized p90s in 2 guitars now,the Gibson p94t is hum canceling if i replace my neck with a Gibson p94r reverse wound !

They seem to be up with the reality of hum issue on pickups,unforgivable is there LP tribute with P90s and no shielding in the wiring cavity?

Its a nightmare !

Archived