An entire year without GAS - I think I found my ultimate guitar

Notes_Norton

• Members

Today my Parker DF524 (DragonFly now MaxxFly) is exactly one year old. In this year, I may have picked up my other three guitars (Gibson, Epiphone, LTD) less than a total of one hour for all three combined. I look at gear mags and see some beautiful guitars, and think they look nice, but have no impulse to buy them.

What is so great about the DF?

Sound - 2 Duncan SC pickups, one Duncan SC/Humbucker, and a Fishman under the bridge. The Fishman can be played alone or blended with the mag pups. The variety of sounds that come out of this axe is amazing

25.5" scale - especially when playing the higher frets, it's much easier than on the Gibson scale guitars

14" Neck radius - this is the main reason why I have never owned a Fender, I don't like short radius guitars, they add problems with note bending, and the curve at the picking hand slows me down (and I'm not super fast to begin with).

Light weight - 5 pounds - but sustains as well as my much heavier LP clone

Well balanced - take my hands of and there is no neck dive

Comfortable - it seems like I'm wearing the guitar instead of holding it

Stainless Steel Frets and Ebony Fingerboard make string bending easy as putting a hot knife through butter

Fast neck - even faster than my ESP/LTD

Tapered master volume right near my picking hand - I don't know how I ever got along without this feature.

Straight string path and Sperzel locking tuners - even when wiggling the whammy, this guitar stays in tune better than my guitars without a whammy

Is it perfect? Almost, but to be honest there are a couple of minor things that could be improved.

The mag/piezo switch is in an inconvenient position as I can't see it's state without bending over, it's also a cheap switch and I feel I'll have to replace the switch eventually

Fret marker dots were too small for a dimly lit stage so I enlarged them with automobile reflector tape

whammy arm was too far away from the strings so I had a new one made

battery cables need a quick connect/disconnect plug

Easy stuff to take care of.

So the best thing is that I just love to pick up and play this guitar. The sad thing is I really used enjoy having GAS and I no longer have it. The good thing is that I'm so happy with the guitar that I no longer have GAS. (Catch 22 isn't it?)

Bonus: it was made in the USA

Notes ?

• Members
A picture is worth a thousand words they say.:poke:

<...>

So let's go for a few thousand ;)

In the case:
df2_in_case.jpg

close up of body and pups BTW I put the reflector tape on the knobs too:
df3_body.jpg

top with enlarged fret markers:
df7_top.jpg

and the headstock:
df6_headstock.jpg

and the knobs/switches
knobs L-R Piezo Vol - Magnetic Tone - Mag master volume
Switches L-R Piezo/mix/mag - normal 5 way pup switch.
df5_knobs.jpg

Ain't she pretty!

But I'd love to play her even if she was ugly.

Notes ?

• Members

I've got a P-38 too, a like it alot. Hybrid guitars like these are great.

I thought I got the ultimate in my Ovation VXT. Almost all of your comments about the cool stuff could apply to that too. It's SD 59s in it and is similar to a chambered Les Paul, besides the Fishman.

I wish they had some tone control for the Fishman. That is only wish I have regarding those hybrids.

You could try a Reverend. Not hybrid. Just several cuts above the pack, imho.

Don't worry too much, your gas will come back! Maybe some take on a hollow body?

• Members

I'm in kind of the same boat. No real gas for any guitars for a while now since I bought my LP 50s tribute goldtop. Once I added that to the rest of my small collection, I really haven't been able to think of anything else I need or want. That doesn't mean that if something amazing came along I wouldn't want it but for the time being, my collection is complete.

Same with amps. I'd still love to get a small tube amp like a bugera V5 but I just haven't had any serious gas for any amps either. My current amp collection covers pretty much every need I have. Only thing I've been keeping an eye out for is some kind of discount on one of those EHX pocket amps like the 22 caliber or 44 magnum. I want to get one of those as a backup amp.

I guess not having gas is kind of boring but it has also allowed me to upgrade my car stereo which was in dire need.

• Members

I too like the looks of this better than the original Parkers. The upper "arthritic thumb" horn of the original Parker just turns me off.

I also like the new headstock. It keeps the looks of the old one (which I like) but adds the ability to use a hanging stand. I play sax, flute, guitar, percussion controller, vocals and sometimes keyboards on stage, so I feel the hanging stand is safer and more secure than the 'old fashioned' guitar stand.

I like the fact that I can change pickups on this model, where the original Parkers with the cabon coating needed to go back to the factory for a pickup swap. But then, I like the sounds this one makes so I see no reason to swap pickups. The SCs have the bite of a Strat and the SC/HB in the bridge pickup sounds like a PAF. Add a little piezo to the mid SC and there is a tele-ish twang. Plus there are a few varieties of tones I can't describe.

The only thing it doesn't have is a P90 sound.

Archived