Epi ES-339 Surprisingly Heavy!

photon9

• Members

Haven't had a chance to play one yet but like the 336 and 356, probably doesn't sound much like a semi hollow either?

I only played it unplugged, but no it wasn't very resonant at all. They look cool and I was intrigued, but it seriously weighed about as much as my Dot, which is my second heaviest guitar after my LP. The center block was huge. Reminded me of a tele thinline; closer to chambered with F-holes, than a semi-hollow.

• Members

I saw one at GC today in phlegm blue. It had the coil tapping and alnico II pickups. Picked it up and it looked very nice. Love the color. However, my experience with Epiphones hasn't been all that great so I put it back on the rack without playing it.

The one I saw was red. It was the pro I think. It looked nice, but fit and finish was average. I like Epiphone. Sometimes they make some really outstanding stuff, other times not so much. Just like everyone. I just thought being that small it would not weight so much. So I was surprised.

• Members
The one I saw was red. It was the pro I think. It looked nice, but fit and finish was average. I like Epiphone. Sometimes they make some really outstanding stuff, other times not so much. Just like everyone. I just thought being that small it would not weight so much. So I was surprised.

The one I saw today had a USB port and a couple of output jacks. And it had a $700 price tag. I'm guessing the extra gadgetry is worth it to someone recoding via their computer, but for a noodler like myself it wasn't worth the extra dosh. This one looked nice though. It had nicer frets than the Gibson LP I'd fondled.

• Members

The one I saw today had a USB port and a couple of output jacks. And it had a $700 price tag. I'm guessing the extra gadgetry is worth it to someone recoding via their computer, but for a noodler like myself it wasn't worth the extra dosh. This one looked nice though. It had nicer frets than the Gibson LP I'd fondled.

If you were only going to have one guitar I guess the extra gadgetry makes sense. Gibson frets are baffling to me, I don't get why they're square and flat by design. "Fretless Wonder"... IDK I prefer them rounded. I keep pondering if I should reshape the frets on my SG, but I'm getting used to them so probably not.

• Members

The deluxe "ultra" model has a third Nanomag pickup and a bunch of controls for it on the back of the guitar, a tuner in the neck pickup ring, and a single F hole. :freak:

Too many bells & whistles for me.

• Members

Wow.

I played an Ultra today at GC, and I honestly couldn't disagree more.

I wouldn't call it "heavy" - at least no heavier than a chambered LP - the body sizes are fairly similar. The Gibby/Epi semihollows, though, have historically been rather weighty compared to others, I guess.

I thought the neck profile (which is called a "slim-taper", but fits right between a '50s and '60s) was comfy, and the pickups sounded surprisingly good. The nano-mag didn't really turn me on, though - I would rather have the Pro model with the coil-taps for $300 less.

Frankly, I have been looking forward to trying one, and it did not disappoint. Different strokes...

Having said all that, though, the PRS SE Bernie Marsden absolutely killed, and all but shot down my 339 GAS :D

Archived