What amp are you playing through, and what amp do you wish you were playing through?

slushpup96

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've heard that. Mine's only problem is its reverb only works when it wants to. I have no idea why. One day it just happened.

Looking at the schematic, it looks like that's one of those amps where fender was running the reverb driver tube fairly hot, w/a 1.2k shared cathode resistor rather then the standard 2.2k cathode resistor found on the blackfaces. You may want to swap out v8 (is it a 12at7?) and see if your reverb comes back to life. Other (easier) things to look at are the cables used to connect the tank and of course the tank itself. I don't know what your amp has for cable connectors - if they are the standard RCA style, try reseating them (with the amp off of course). And since there is a footswitch jack, maybe plugging into that several times might help as well. The reverb pot might be at fault as well, does jiggling it make a difference?

• Members

I've heard that. Mine's only problem is its reverb only works when it wants to. I have no idea why. One day it just happened.

The easiest and cheapest thing to try is to unplug your amp from the wall, flip the power switch a couple times, go out and get some contact cleaner, pull the reverb cables, spray the cables ends and the jacks with the contact cleaner, reinsert them and go ahead and hit all the other jacks while you have the cleaner in your hands. Let the amp set for a few minutes and plug it back in.

That Yamaha amp I posted, the reverb was somewhat intermittent. Cleaning the jacks helped a lot, but I finally broke down, took the amp completely apart and cleaned all the jacks and pots. Quite a bit of work and probably not for everyone, but now my amp is 100%.

Other than just generally being a pain to work on, the probably with how your pots are mounted to that circuit board is it's pretty tedious to just get to the point where you can clean all the pots.

Other than that, try a new tube in the reverb slot.

• Members

The easiest and cheapest thing to try is to unplug your amp from the wall, flip the power switch a couple times, go out and get some contact cleaner, pull the reverb cables, spray the cables ends and the jacks with the contact cleaner, reinsert them and go ahead and hit all the other jacks while you have the cleaner in your hands. Let the amp set for a few minutes and plug it back in.

That Yamaha amp I posted, the reverb was somewhat intermittent. Cleaning the jacks helped a lot, but I finally broke down, took the amp completely apart and cleaned all the jacks and pots. Quite a bit of work and probably not for everyone, but now my amp is 100%.

Other than just generally being a pain to work on, the probably with how your pots are mounted to that circuit board is it's pretty tedious to just get to the point where you can clean all the pots.

Other than that, try a new tube in the reverb slot.

I'll try this, thanks! I've already lost one sale from the reverb (some guy backed out of trading his vintage and really cool Guild amp because my reverb sucked). Here's hoping this fixes it.

• Members

I'm blessed to have lots of options, and I tend to use different things from gig to gig.

For amps, for my main (punk rock and roll) band Crash Pad, my usual rig is a 90's Sovtek Tube Midget 50W head into an '80's Risson 4x12:

291811_219539088103625_117815748275960_6

For my roots rock side band if I had a big outdoor show I used a 1960's Sunn 200S head with the same cab:

BooFest05BKwithspareaxes.jpg

However, I have a number of other options available, if I don't feel like messing with a 4x12. For instance, the Sovtek head with a 2x12 open-back cab :

Celestion2x12.jpg

I also have a '60's 1x15 Kustom cab that has been paired with both those heads:

101502BKleanBack.jpg

Although I've got a '66 Super Reverb, she's "retired" from gigging except for special occasions. Since that amp was modded to be a 2x10 combo with 2x10 extension cab (see below, to the right), I have also sometimes used the 2x10 combo top with the 2x12 seen previously as the extension cab bottom-- a 2x10/2x12 halfstack.

redcrossSDBKair.jpg

Here's the 2x10 top with 2x12 bottom (seen just behind me):

HHMoefest2005018_18.jpg

For church, everyone else, including (electronic) drums, goes straight to the PA. I don't like relying on the church's monitors (in addition to not being floor monitors that are anywhere near us, the overall music director has a very bad habit of unilaterally deciding to "turn us down" in the midst of a service or even in the midst of a song), so when we're doing our usual Sunday morning thing up in the choir loft, I use my little Super Champ XD as a stage monitor (set up on a stand), lined out to the PA. Here's a pic of me hiding during a choir number at my exceedingly cramped "work station" in the choir loft, with the SCXD to the left:

309809_241949529177674_100000878877786_6

When the praise band ("First Things First") plays outdoors, or for some of my roots rock or pop side band shows, I use the SC XD as a stage monitor and then line it out to a bigger tube rig (such as my Sunn head into a 2x12) in the backline, and then mic the bigger rig. Here's a shot of that at a First Things First concert performance, SC XD to the left, Sunn rig behind me to the right):

208324_10150169395413879_512618878_67250

Last (phew!), for side pop band practices, the SC XD alone is not enough, and I don't feel like dragging out a second tube+head rig, so a simpler solution is the SC XD atop a 1x12 Mosvalve 80W combo in a little "quarter-stack." The Mosvalve is too noisy for mic'd situations (it has a fan in it) but is fine for practices or other un-mic'd sitches, like seen below at an outdoor church BBQ with First Things First:

307714_10150283346386107_562091106_79826

Sorry about the length of this, but what can I say? If I've got all this crap I might as well use it!

• Members

These:

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

I wish I was playing through an AC30HW with power scaling, and a switchable Superbass/Superlead with KT88s to give it more like 180ish watts (for bass). Possibly also a Hiwatt DR103 or 201. And some Marshall or Hiwatt bass cabs...

Actually doing the mods to the Marshall wouldn't be that hard...

• Members

Pic of my rig in a nice and messy fashion:

2i8hi4o.jpg

Can't complain, that little Elements box brings the goods for sure. Some new tubes, maybe an ext. cab and new speakers and I'll be good.

Of course, I'd like to have something like this:

gitar_marshall_stack_1.jpg

But I can't complain. The Hot Rod is heavy enough as well, I can't imagine a half stack :eek:

• Members

I am happy with my Carvin V3. Great amp.

BUT..I WISH I was playing thru my Twin right now but nooooooooo...I had to fry it by placing it near baseboard heat and having a case stacked on top(just to be sure NO cool air could get near those 10 tubes):facepalm::mad::cry:

But ya I like the V3.

And I also still use my HRDeville 2x12, LOVE that thing.

• Members

Nothing fancy today-a modded Champ 600 and a Marshall Class 5. Id like a marshall plexi, that wont make me deaf.

You should check out a Reinhardt The 18. Lots of other boutique options as well. Not a straight plexi but then, there's a lot of room for variation within the realm of plexi.

Kinda pricey, but I've seen used ones flirt with the $1,000 price point.

http://www.reinhardtamps.com/files/The18.html

The LT-1 is even closer though I've never played through one.

http://www.reinhardtamps.com/files/LT-1.html

• Members

I am happy with my Carvin V3. Great amp.

BUT..I WISH I was playing thru my Twin right now but nooooooooo...I had to fry it by placing it near baseboard heat and having a case stacked on top(just to be sure NO cool air could get near those 10
tubes
)
:facepalm::mad::cry:

But ya I like the V3.

And I also still use my HRDeville 2x12, LOVE that thing.

I was just eyeballing the V3M earlier today. I wouldn't mind getting my mitts on one. I'd almost be willing to give up my Rebel 30 for one.

• Members

I'm playing thru this St Louis made Crate 2110

DSCF0312.jpg

But I'm wanting something with a bigger speaker(a 12",15", or a couple of 10"s),

I'd like huge cleans, a massive reverb tank, and a vibrato or tremelo circuit.

But I don't need anything as huge and heavy as a Twin.

Want tubes, preferably 6L6s.

Anybody got a recommendation?

• Members

You just described the Deluxe Reverb.

I'm playing thru this St Louis made Crate 2110

DSCF0312.jpg
But I'm wanting something with a bigger speaker(a 12",15", or a couple of 10"s),

I'd like huge cleans, a massive reverb tank, and a vibrato or tremelo circuit.

But I don't need anything as huge and heavy as a Twin.

Want tubes, preferably 6L6s.

Anybody got a recommendation?

• Members

Botiique is out of my reach until next Sept. I have heard good things about Reinhardt though.

You should check out a Reinhardt The 18. Lots of other boutique options as well. Not a straight plexi but then, there's a lot of room for variation within the realm of plexi.

Kinda pricey, but I've seen used ones flirt with the $1,000 price point.

The LT-1 is even closer though I've never played through one.

Archived