Why is the bridge pickup on the Strat and Tele slanted?

Notes_Norton

• Members

Here is something I've always wondered about.

Why is the bridge pickup on the SSS Strat and the Tele slanted instead of at right angles to the strings?

Is it just for aesthetics? Or is there some scientific reasoning behind it? (Perhaps relating to the shorter wavelength of higher notes???).

It's not earth-shattering, and it doesn't really matter, but I'm curious as to the reason Leo did that.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Notes ?

• Members

It gives the low strings more bass, and the high strings more treble. Some Strat-type guitars have the bridge slant reversed for the opposite effect.

I've often thought it should be reversed. The high e is trebley enough, whereas having more treble bite from the low E might be more fun for spaghetti western tones.

And certainly reversed worked well for Hendrix.

1478336091.jpg

• Members

I've often thought it should be reversed. The high e is trebley enough, whereas having more treble bite from the low E might be more fun for spaghetti western tones.

And certainly reversed worked well for Hendrix.

1478336091.jpg

I agree it would sound better reversed. Same for P pup basses, fenders version is backwards imo.

• Members

I severely slanted the neck pickup on the JBD-100 guitar design just because I liked how it looked. Technically, it caused problems for the builder because there weren't many pickups long enough to accomodate the radical slant so I believe a seven string pickup with special winding was eventually used in the neck position as in this new zebrawood version....

Zebrawood1.jpg

My personal JBD-100 is an early one (#5), and only has a bridge pickup due to the difficulties with the neck pups at the time it was being built....The 100 model is the first and last guitar I'll design with this radical pickup slant......my bridge pickup positions have always been conventional for the most part...

Paperandwood4.jpg

• Members

On modern amps, not sure this was the case in 54.

When the Broad/No/Telecaster was introduced, Fender was making "TV-front" amps.

deluxe_tv_50f.jpg

By the time the Strat was introduced, they had evolved to the "Wide Panel" amps

53t1.jpg

While these were brighter sounding than the competition, they were considerably warmer/duller/less bright than modern amps. Significantly darker than the narrow-panel tweeds, which are the ones most people are familiar with. Slanting the pickup gave them more cut. The darker amps kept them from being too shrill for the tastes of the times.

Archived