Gibson Flying V in my future!

kadrocker

• Members

I've wanted a Flying V since I was 5 years old. I remember seeing Kirk Hammet playing a black V back in the day, my brother had a Metallica vhs tape. My dream guitar has been a V ever since!

I'm now 28 and I'm just now finally able to almost get one! I've slowly been saving money up, I have a question for you guys: should I buy new or used? If I go used, anything I should look for specifically? Guess just the typical things, huh?

I'll play everything with this V. Rock, metal, clean stuff, blues, whatever! A black Flying V is just so darn classy, in my opinion. Love 'em. I love watching bands play them live.

Any opinions, advice, anything you can say about a Gibson Flying V?

You can't talk me out of getting one. I have my heart set on one.

• Members

I don't like Flying Vs; they seem so impractical. The only ones that I find passable are the ones with a Natural finish. Black ones seem so '80s cornball to me. That being said, if it's your Dream Guitar on which you've fixated since kindergarten I would say in no uncertain terms: buy a new one ...

• Members

I don't like Flying Vs; they seem so impractical. The only ones that I find passable are the ones with a Natural finish. Black ones seem so '80s cornball to me. That being said, if it's your Dream Guitar on which you've fixated since kindergarten I would say in no uncertain terms: buy a new one ...

+1

I am in the same boat as the OP.

Loved to own one since god knows one, but i wan't a new one for sure.

• Members

wait, hold up, what are your thoughts on classic white flying v's? and cherry red? and what about the faded series????? c'mon man!

• Members

wait, hold up, what are your thoughts on classic white flying v's? and cherry red? and what about the faded series????? c'mon man!

The "Natural" finish I referred to is actually the Faded. I think those look okay. I think anything Gibson does in a Faded finish looks good ...

• Members

The "Natural" finish I referred to is actually the Faded. I think those look okay. I think anything Gibson does in a Faded finish looks good ...

As I just posted in a similar, SG flavoured, thread - there are lots of these on the GC used site for cheap.

• Members

I have a black Gibby V and a USA Dean V....I loves me the Vs. They are great players for standing and play well in the classical position when sitting as well. I find myself playing other guitars the same way when sitting lately too. Not a bad thing I suppose.

• Members

Get new. You've been saving for a long time and been waiting even longer, it'll be more special.

I looked around for my Gibson v on the used market first and all had nicks, scratches and other various "mods" that were {censored}.

Went new, was glad to!

• Members

{censored}ing get one brah!!

I've had two faded V's that were ok but I have a '99 Gothic that is an absolute gem. It sounds killer and it just seems right. I have played quite a few and they just work for me. I'm no brand snob by any means but if you want a Gibson V, only that will do. I've played some nice Deans as well but they dissapointed me in the long run. Follow the steps of sucess..

1.Get Gibson V

2.Plug into a Framus Cobra

3.Get laid

4. Rinse, repeat, drool over awesomeness

5. Invite hot neighbors over for mud wrestling in a plastic pool

6. Profit

Archived