New Fender Select Series, if you didn't see the thread in the Effects forum

slushpup96

• Members

0170301750_frt_wmd_001.png

Nice guitar and it's nearly $3k. I wonder what it would cost to put this together with parts from Warmoth. I wonder if Fender puts these together with parts from Warmoth. I know Yamaha had a model or two of their Pacifica line with Warmoth necks.

Fender has gone from being a production company to a marketing company and it may be "cost effective" to have Warmoth build parts for their high end guitars just like it is for them to get Samick to build some of their lower end models.

• Members

"Choices are stoopid! If it was good enough for Eric and Jimi and Robin...."

Sheesh, it's not like they're going to STOP making regular strats and teles, folks. You want an fancy, dressy, upscale guitar with 'Fender' on it? Now they make one.

I swear, if guitarists were in charge of car manufacturing we'd all be driving 8hp Daimlers with wooden rims, and arguing about which wood is more original and gets the vintage feel on bumps...

• Members

OT, but what is the deal with the main photo on the page? A whole rolling bar full of liquor for the two of them, the guy smokes and drops ashes on the carpet, and I think fondles himself, untouched food, totally disinterested hottie looking at records? And a guitar all by itself for no reason. I'm intrigued.

• Members

Nice guitar and it's nearly $3k.

Pretty sure street price will be in the $1800 range, right?

It's been mentioned before that Fender probably needed a price point between the Deluxes and Custom Shop guitars. But also consider that they might have had a bunch of really nice wood that had nowhere to go.

I'd rather have an affordable Gilmour model, but I actually like that HSS. Wonder if they all have rosewood fretboards as nice as the one in the picture.

And if I could change one thing, to kick it up a notch in that price range, it would be stainless steel frets.

• Moderators

OT, but what is the deal with the main photo on the page? A whole rolling bar full of liquor for the two of them, the guy smokes and drops ashes on the carpet, and I think fondles himself, untouched food, totally disinterested hottie looking at records? And a guitar all by itself for no reason. I'm intrigued.

Obviously.....buy one and this is how your life will become:facepalm:

• Members

I see the market for these and I think Fender's smart for it.

Look at it this way... They probably don't make many of these, so it's not taking away from what Fender is doing otherwise. They're marque pieces. They're the guitars that go in the windows of shops and people drool, go into the shop, and walk out with an MIM Standard.

Also, it's proof that the production line can pop out guitars that are stupidly beautiful.

If Fender pulled a Gibson and only produced overpriced guitars that looked like they should only be hung on a wall I would absolutely see why everybody would be bitching. However, Fender's got every price point from $400 up covered with a Fender-labeled product and then they have Squier under that. Does Gibson have something as low as $400 that doesn't look stupidly stripped down? No. Does Fender have the quality issues that Gibson sometimes has on $3000 guitars? No.

They have something for everybody and that's why they're doing well.

Archived