got a 1000 grit sandpaper, should I sand my neck? I'm hesitating...

Jimmy25

• Members

I got myself a TOA Made In Japan Waterproof abrasive 1000 grit sandpaper, it's on my hand right now, and I don't know should I sand down my sticky poly maple neck with it or not... I tried lemon oil with rag it didn't help much.. now I'm hesitating because I've never sand a neck and I don't know is it really going to make a huge difference or not in terms of smoothness, was wondering, is it possible to just do it extremely softly and still have the gloss but smoother and doesn't damage the finish? or no matter how soft I do it it's just going to ruin the finish..? and if I start sanding the neck with 1000 grit sandpaper, how do I know when to stop...

• Members

I used #00 steel wool on my poly neck to take the gloss off. Worked great and feels soooo much better. Keep a soft rag handy to collect the steel wool particles and point the neck down to keep them away from the pickups.

15-20 seconds and you're done with plenty of finish left to protect the wood.

• Moderators

I used #00 steel wool on my poly neck to take the gloss off. Worked great and feels soooo much better. Keep a soft rag handy to collect the steel wool particles and point the neck down to keep them away from the pickups.

If you really feel the need to go near a guitar with steel wool, make sure you tape over the pickups with masking tape

• Members

+1 (except I had 000 steel wool -- just takes a bit longer). I also do this occasionally to guitars with matte finished necks, because they tend to pick up grunge from hands (especially if you lend guitars out -- sometimes they come back with the neck feeling like :freak:.) A few strokes with the steel wool makes them feel smooth and slick again.

• Members

1000 grit will not take down much of the poly at all. You will in no way shape or form get down to the wood. If anybody tells you differently, they have not done it before. It is safe and I recommend it.

If you don't like it or end up wanting to sell the guitar down the road, just polish it with automotive polish and it will bring back the original gloss finish. I have done this a dozen times and speak from experience. Poly is used as a finish for cars so car polish works perfectly. My luthier put me on to this.

• Moderators

1000 grit will not take down much of the poly at all. You will in no way shape or form get down to the wood. If anybody tells you differently, they have not done it before. It is safe and I recommend it.

If you don't like it or end up wanting to sell the guitar down the road, just polish it with automotive polish and it will bring back the original gloss finish. I have done this a dozen times and speak from experience. Poly is used as a finish for cars so car polish works perfectly. My luthier put me on to this.

100% correct:thu:

Archived