Are all RG550s Japanese?

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

Yes up to now , I think but have not yet confimed the 25th anniv is Made in Indonesia .

The 25th anniversary is an RG anniversary, not an RG550, and yes it is part of the 'Premium' series and Made in Indonesia.

All RG550s were Made in Japan.

• Members

Looks like an AANJ (but I'm no expert. ) Be sure to carefully check the locking nut countersinks on the back of the neck; it's fairly standard for there to be a grain-following crack through one or both. Easy fix, if you catch it before it gets too big.

Nice price on that!

• Moderators

Not sure?

http://bit.ly/xMemDK

That's AANJ, so it should be a '99 as you thought. I'm thinking that's actually an RG-505, though, as a 550 from that era should have a Super Wizard neck with bubinga stripe, rather than 1-pc maple. The 505 is pretty much the same guitar, but with the slightly thicker Wizard II 1-pc neck and rosewood fretboard (which does occasionally pop up on 550s, but wasn't the standard feature). Might also be a precursor to the RG550EX? Europe gets some weird stuff from Ibanez.

• Moderators

505 was what my research lead me to Eristic, although it looks nigh on identical to the EXGK, should be interesting I'll NGD it when it arrives, was the original Edge vibrato ok on those as he's put an unspecified Jackson unit in there due to as he's says a bigger brass block:idk:

Honestly, the Edge is one of the best locking bridges ever, perhaps THE best. Some of the Jacksons are good, some not so much. Personally, I'd get an Edge back on it asap.

The model ought to be stamped on both the neck heel and the pocket, so if you don't mind disassembling it, you should be able to pin down the exact model fairly easily.

• Members

It's simple.....1987 to 1996 Ibanez's built in Japan between these years will have a serial number beginning with F followed by 6 numbers.

1997 - Present - Under the old numbering scheme 1997 would show duplicate numbers to 1987 so the serial number was changed to the F and 7 digits, now the first 2 denoting year of production. F98***** is a guitar built by Fujigen in 1998. The last 5 digits continue as a consecutive production count for the year.

So given that the serial # the OP gave was a "F" then "7" digits.... this is a 1999.... case closed.

• Moderators

Honestly, the Edge is one of the best locking bridges ever, perhaps THE best. Some of the Jacksons are good, some not so much. Personally, I'd get an Edge back on it asap.

The model ought to be stamped on both the neck heel and the pocket, so if you don't mind disassembling it, you should be able to pin down the exact model fairly easily.

Decent used Edge now procured

• Members

^ what do you want out of it? the tone zone is very dark and very much a lead pickup (i play like at least 50% lead and have evh in my avatar and it's too "lead" for me, if that tells you something!).

you're in the UK, aren't you? (seem to remember that from back in teh day)

i just (personally) find dimarzios and duncans pretty dear here. though i suppose if you go s/h they might be better value.

• Moderators

^ what do you want out of it? the tone zone is very dark and very much a lead pickup (i play like at least 50% lead and have evh in my avatar and it's too "lead" for me, if that tells you something!).

you're in the UK, aren't you? (seem to remember that from back in teh day)

i just (personally) find dimarzios and duncans pretty dear here. though i suppose if you go s/h they might be better value.

I'm always very happy to avoid DiMs and Sds but I got the impression at the Jemsite that I may cause some kind of singularity or Apocalyptic aberration if I fitted anything other then DiMs to an RG:(

I iz skared:(

Archived