GFS solderless cable system

Belva

• Members

I have friends who use the real deal.

The original solderless cables did well because the cable was super high quality

and had superior shielding and low resistance and capacitence.

They weent cheap though. The problem with them is its a piercing system not that much different than

a cable TV connector. The weakness is you only have that one ground piercing screw to hold the cable in place.

Step on the cable playing and it will rip the cable out. Second since the cable isnt soldered, it invites poor connection

once the oxidation process occurs. You can buff copper shiny so it makes a good electrical connection but

how long does it take to tarnish? a few days? a few months? Not long.

Then you have the question of the quality of GFS cable and the connectors.

Like most of their stuff, its cheap imitation and no wheres near the quality of the original.

Besides, its not usually the problem of the solder connection on regular cords.

Its either cheap assed connectors that fall appart, or cheap cable thats the problem.

If the outside casing of the cable is too flexable and can be stretched, you may be able to securely

clamp the outside casing to the plug crimp, but when the cable gets pulled, the outside casing stretches

and pulls the inside wire loose from the solder connection.

Use good cable like beldin that wont stretch, is oxygen free, and has 90% shielding, then use one piece

military style plugs and the cables will last a lifetime. I still have some of these type cords with the one piece brass

plugs and have had them 40+ years and are still in use today. Solderless used on the road, you better be easy on them

or you'll wind up with a cluster fluck on stage with a screw driver and flashlight trying to figure out which of your plug ends

are flucked up.

• Members

I had the old mid 80's system that the connectors just screwed into the ends of the cable as tight as you could go.

They promised it was the best and would never fail. I kept having to cut the ends and refit the connector. It eventually wore out the connector piece.

I am sold on Live Wire cables from GC. Guaranteed for life. If ever one fails I just walk in with it and walk out with a replacement. Best deal I've ever had.

They've already replaced 3.

• Members

I thought the old cable I had was bill lawrence that had brass ends. Everything that WRGKMC said was true. The plug was small and it was hard to get out of a strat jack. I pulled the wire out a bunch of times. I used it between pedals for a while and then it just got lost or retired.

That said, in the case candy that came with my 62 Ri was a grey cable with a set screw that i assume is solderless.

• Members

I am sold on Live Wire cables from GC. Guaranteed for life. If ever one fails I just walk in with it and walk out with a replacement. Best deal I've ever had.

They've already replaced 3.

Cheap, too. Hell, GC even replaced a Live Wire cable that got trashed when I dropped my guitar. Of course, they lack the mojo that comes from wasting extra money for the nice packaging from Monster or Mogami, but whatever.

• Members

Big fan of Live Wires too. Not the lowest capacitance out there, but I did my own little A/B testing of everything I could get my hands on and for price/performance/durability/and the fact that there is a GC every other block makes it the best value for me. Plus there's a sweet spot where a little high end attenuation isn't a bad thing and I like the way they sound.

Plus I went into it with them pretty low on my list of potential favorites. I like surprises.

Archived