Classic 57s or Burstbucker Pros in an ES-335?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

I'm deciding between two models of ES-335s. One has Classic 57s and the other has a set of Burstbucker Pros. Wondering what the BB Pros sound like in a 335... only played Classic 57s in a semihollow before

Edit nvm I just found clips for a great comparison, in case anyone else is interested

Original 1964 ES335

FaVcXZS3heo

Block 335 with Burstbucker Pros

VMWdz9M8W_A

RQwaKK5nF8o

Dot 335 Reissue with Classic 57s

1eSSzqL8Teo

Zz8r2BJj_4A

• Members

I would say the Classic 57, but if you have the $$$ upgrade to the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers. Best off-the-shelf PAF copy out there.

I agree that the Seths sound amazig, but it's worth noting that some of them can alledgedly be microphonic. ot that I ever had a problem with mine, but it's something to consider.

I really like the C57s in a 335. But don't choose guitar on account of the pickups - it's the easiest mod you can do to a guitar so just pick the one you like best

• Members

Which one would get closer to a early Clapton/Cream 335 tone? I'm assuming the C57 would sound much better clean?

57s with a cranked Marshall and a boost.

actually many hbs with a cranked Marshall and a boost will do it.

Its like horseshoes and handgrenades....you will never hit it but near enough is good enough.

• Members

Yeah I could always swap pickups but it's just a hassle with archtops so I'd rather just get it right the first time.

I'm sure both of these would be sort of in the same ballpark as that Clapton/Cream kinda tone as long as I have a Marshall-ish amp.

EDIT i actually found clips:

Block 335 with Burstbucker Pros

VMWdz9M8W_A

RQwaKK5nF8o

Dot 335 Reissue with Classic 57s

1eSSzqL8Teo

Zz8r2BJj_4A

• Members

It doesn't really matter - they will both have a certain personality and it depends on what you like.

Personally in a semi-hollow I like pickups that are a bit low output with Alnico II's 1st then Alnico V's 2nd to enjoy the nuance of the guitar and the resonance.

same with single coils (Tele and Strats).

• Members

I would say the Classic 57, but if you have the $$$ upgrade to the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers. Best off-the-shelf PAF copy out there.

I'd second that, on both issues. I like BB Pros quite a bit, but I think they do better with more solid wood underneath them. The softer Alnico II magnet tone is a better choice IMO for lighter build guitars.

Archived