Would you pull the trigger? (PRS SE)

Nsomniac

• Members

Found a PRS SE Custom at a pawn shop today...

I have this "try different guitars when I find them at prices where I probably won't lose money on them" plan, but PRS hasn't really been on my radar so far. Didn't get to plug it in, but I kind of like the action. Looked up the serial number and it's a 2007. Seems to be in really good shape.

Looks like it can be had for $300. Worth a second look at that price?

IMG_0026.jpg?t=1328926034

• Members

Gosh, I'm gonna say "no". Cuz I bought 3 of those dern things when they were on blowout sales at the end of 2009.

I like the build quality for the price, but they are "platforms" for mods, and finding the right pickup for them isn't as easy as you might think.

OTOH, if you like to play with a fair amount of gain, then they are indeed "good to go as is".

So a "mixed review" from me.

Fellow forumite jrockbridge also got on those deals. He tried going through some different p'ups with them, including some BGs, but couldn't make them sing. I think he also came to the conclusion, only buy them if you like the stock tone.

The playing action on them, however, is stellar. Absolutely no issues there IMO.

• Members

$299 is what these sold for new a few years ago when they were blown out, so I'm not sure if that is much of a deal...

MF had them down to $359 when I bought one from them. I paid a bit more for the 2 I got from Sweetwater, but still they were just a bit over 4 bills (or so)

This is what I got (from my inventory SS)

PAUL REED SMITH SE CUSTOM 22 TREMOLO - TOBACCO BURST

PAUL REED SMITH SE CUSTOM 22 STOPTAIL - CHERRY SUNBURST

PAUL REED SMITH SE CUSTOM 24 TREMOLO - WHALE BLUE

• Members

Appreciate the intel... it's probably not something I'll pursue at that price then.

Keep in mind that smart pawnbrokers will deal on price with an informed buyer. I've used just this sort of info others have provided above in order to tell a pawnbroker why I'd pay a lesser price but not his marked price. For example, I found a like-new Super Champ XD in a pawn I regularly stopped at. Tagged at $250, Back when they were selling street for $300. I told the broker that my general rule of thumb was not to pay more than half of new street for a used item, but that was not a hard and fast rule, and depended on the condition of the item and how well it performed. He sold me the SC XD for $175, considerably less than it was tagged for.

Offer two bills, and have the cash in hand.

• Members

+1 to Brian, a friend of mine told me to offer 65% of the tagged price and have cash in hand ;p

Yeah, that's all good advice, and I actually was already factoring that in when estimating the out the door price. It's actually tagged at $399, which I figure means I could probably get it for $300 tax included if I flash three bills and ask them if they can make it work.

• Members

$300 is the going rate on these used, $399 is way too high.

These went new for somewere in the mid $500 range.

Not sure what sence the above posts make about the blow out pricing in comparison, as you can't buy one for that price, and that was just the music stores getting them out at cost to make way for the new models.

I have one just like this but sunburst, and is a really good guitar.

• Members

MF had them down to $359 when I bought one from them. I paid a bit more for the 2 I got from Sweetwater, but still they were just a bit over 4 bills (or so)

This is what I got (from my inventory SS)

PAUL REED SMITH SE CUSTOM 22 TREMOLO - TOBACCO BURST

PAUL REED SMITH SE CUSTOM 22 STOPTAIL - CHERRY SUNBURST

PAUL REED SMITH SE CUSTOM 24 TREMOLO - WHALE BLUE

Not to hijack, but when did this "blow out" sale happen? Any chance of it coming around again?

• Members

Not to hijack, but when did this "blow out" sale happen? Any chance of it coming around again?

A number of online retailers had them on sale around the Christmas holiday season in 2009. I think at that time the current SE Custom 22 and 24's were being discontinued, at least that's the impression I got from the PRS website. I have a Custom 22 in the same finish as the photo the O.P. By the time I found out about the blowouts most of the sites I went to had sold out of them. I wound up purchasing one in mint condition with the case, tools, trem bar & paperwork from a seller on ebay for about 50 dollars more than the sale price. The Custom 22's were going for $359.00 and the Custom 24's $399.00 IIRC. Nice guitar. I have no complaints.

prs1jpg.jpg

• Members

Price is relative. Guitars get blown out, prices drop... doesn't mean it might not turn out to be a fantastic player. Of course a pawn shop has an inflated price on the tag. That's how they operate. It's priced exactly where I think it should be priced at a pawn shop.

I personally have a soft spot for transparent black guitars, esp those that are strat-shapped. I've had two PRS SEs (well, one was a first year Santana SE) had after a couple minor tweaks, they felt great to me. Sound is subjective. I'd assume that if you are all about warm jazzy clean tones, you probably won't love the stock pickups. If you play with gain most of the time, you might get along with them just fine.

If the store has a refund period such as 30 days, I say go for it. What have you got to lose? Get it and see how you like it over the next three weeks and go from there.

:idk:

• Members

It was the end of 2009. They were basically clearing out the older versions so there were some good deals to be had. That's why I went a bit nuts and picked up 3 of them. But I did do it with the idea that I'd mod all of them with my own select of pickups. I just never got around to that part of the project (still pending) but I lived vicariously through "jrockbridge" who was going through some mod attempts without much luck. (as mentioned above) I believe he ended up with the thought of "buy them if you like their sound stock". But they are indeed a nice feeling build quality. My final verdict will be after I've completed some of my own mod work. But usually I look for a nice vibey chimey tone and I think those SEs were better suited for higher gain. But it didn't chase me away. Within the last year I bought the newer version of the SE Santana and I like that one just fine out of the box. The pickups seem more lively and the body is more light and resonant.

• Members

I have the same guitar (*edit - mine's the 24), and I paid $300 at a pawn shop. It's my main gigging guitar. It sounds good stock (not the best of my guitars, but very good still), and it's very comfortable to play. I wish I knew about them when they were blown out, because I would have bought one (alas, I bought mine after the blowout). Me? I'd take it for $300 again, but I'd prefer the red one, since I already have the trans. black.

• Members

The price spread at GC used is around $250-400 for most SE's, excluding some of the sigs and the model with EMG's and a Floyd, so you're in the right ballpark. As others have said, take cash and make an offer. It's nothing personal if they say "no". Of course, if you plug it in (and you should) and don't like it, then all bets are off. I've had 2 SE's, and have played several more (found an EG this afternoon) and they are, on balance, very nice instruments. Oh, and make sure you get the very nice gig bag that should accompany that guitar.

• Members

If in excellent shape I feel the guitar is worth around $300 really, regardless of what they sold for. I would offer 250 cash.

B

Yeah, even though my review of them is lukewarm, I'd never dream of letting one of mine go for less than 3 bills.

• Members

Ok, you've got me talked into at least going back to play it and see if we bond. More research has revealed lots of happy owners, so it seems to be worth a shot if its still there...they don't seem to be moving much these days, so there may be a good deal to be had. This is the same place where I got my $175 MIM Tele...

Archived