G&L Legacy Vs. American Standard Strat

twotimingpete

• Members

Preferred the 12" radius and larger frets of my legacy.

this is probly the most notable diffrence in the two... american standard versus g and l legacy the 12"

a 12 is quacky as hell if you ask me, and the legacies ive tried have been for that matter, and beffy sounding, when it comes to maple necks.

I think alot of the fenders ive played with 12" have been quacky and beefy as apposed to spanky and chimey like on a 7.25 or a 9.5 when it comes to maples necks again.

• Members

G&L makes four different necks, so you should be able to find a suitable width. I have owned more Fenders than G&Ls, but in general prefer G&L. They are amazing values if you buy used (the good part of not holding resale value) and I prefer the G&L tone controls (bass and treble cut which affect all pickups).

They actually make 10 different necks now! viva variety!

Anyhow, I have owned both and the Legacy felt and sounded more substantial than the Am St. Strat. The legacy also had a much tighter neck pocket and a better feeling neck. They both were great guitars, but I give an edge to the Legacy at the $1000 price point.

• Members

G&L = Quality!!

I'll take my Legacy over any Fender any day. Hands down. I took mine out of it's case the other day and I've been more amazed with it than ever.

Just hold one. It's a hand made guitar that feels SOLID. Mine has a birdseye maple neck with a flat fretboard, big frets, and a unique asyemtrical V shaped neck.

Pick-ups sound good. Like a single coil ought to sound. And I love the tone controls with the bass and treble cut. Lots of versatility.

I can't recommend G&L enough!!!

• Members

I played a bunch of G&Ls on my strat search. They were good but none of them inspired me to take them home. In fairness I had the exact same problem with Fenders too, a couple were downright dogs.

Although I did eventually find the perfect Strat for me, it was more of a coincidence that it happened to be a Fender, rather than some kind of across-the-board superior quality by the Fender company.

• Members

Had two G&Ls and didn't like them as well. One had issues with the neck, but I have seen my share of Fender guitars with neck issues (never owned one though) so it can be said of either.

Really they're different guitars. Aside from the basic shape a Legacy is a different guitar from a Strat and it's really more about personal preference then which is better.

That being said, neither are what they used to be but that's more about the 80/20 disposable world we live in.

EDIT - I had a Legacy and an ASAT - not two Legacys.

• Members

useless????? I think its awesome! you can roll the bass and treble on or off independently as opposed to one universal "tone" knob. it lets you get a crazy range of sounds. I like to use mine to get the clapton "woman-tone"

I find it generally just makes everything sound thin. Then again I don't like very bass heavy tones for guitar anyway so the starting point with bass on full isn't that bassy either.

Archived