I know HCEG isn't much into metal...

Mind Riot

• Members

But I just uploaded my first youtube clip demonstrating my sound and setup, and I just wanted to share.

[YOUTUBE]ypEktSM5EpU[/YOUTUBE]

Signal path and gear is listed in the description if you're interested. I'm using pretty inexpensive gear, I'm quite happy with the tone I'm getting. :)

If you followed any of my build threads a while ago you might recognize that I'm playing my custom seven string. It's a BIG part of the sound.

Thanks for your time! :wave:

• Members

Cool. I love metal, but I don't automatically love all metal bands just because they're supposedly heavy. But I still have trouble figuring out what metal experts consider exceptional tone. Adam Jones' tone is amazing to my ears, but is Tool even a metal band? Then there's Kerry King's scratchiness which, honestly, I don't particularly like. Even Dime's tone seemed boxy and plastic to my ears. Megadeth is one of my top 5 metal bands, but I often think to myself that Mustaine's tone could be thicker. I really like the dude from 3 Inches of Blood--he played a normal scaled Les Paul thru a Marshall Stack and it sounded tight. But some folks at the show were saying that his tone was crappy. Then there's Alexi Laiho whose tone is OK, but it sounds like he's continually warming up backstage playing the same two scales over and over. Chimera seems to change the spelling of their name every couple of years--but I like their guitars. Vocals are too cartoonish for me though.

So, I'm not going to be able to judge your tone because the whole thing just confuses me, but your guitar is killer. I followed the build and it's amazing that it can make those evil tonez! Very cool.

• Members

I'm not much into modern metal, but I think you've got an amazing tone going on. The thing that attracts my attention is the string muting and clarity you get from your playing style. I would say this has a lot to do with it. However, the guitar is a killer too.

Archived