Would You Buy This _____ For This Much $_____?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Hey guys. So I'm looking at possibly buying a Prestige Classic SB guitar. They are Canadian instruments made of top quality Canadian wood, assembled in South Korea, and then finished back in Canada. They have some great "modern" takes on the Les Paul that seem very appealing.

This particular model is very light weight, has a deep tummy cut, and a contoured neck heel for more comfortable playing. Seymour Duncan pickups, and the traditional LP controls.

The downside is that there is no distributor in the U.S. so I can't go out and try one. Pictures are all I have to go from. Anyways, after talking with the retailer they said I can get it at the eBay price with the cost of shipping waived, so $680 to my door.

Here is the link to the guitar on the manufacturer's website:

http://www.prestigeguitars.com/classic.php

What do you guys think? Is $680 worth it for this type of guitar? I guess I'm just most concerned about the fact that I can't look at or touch the guitar. So in other words, do you guys think $680 is worth it for this guitar, given the risk I'm buying it sight unseen?

• Members

Yes id say thats a fair price for a quality level your describing..my only advice is to be aware of the resale value with such guitars..ive had high end guits from smaller builders and had to practically give them away so with a guitar like that resale value will more than likley not be too good.

• Members

Yes. Prestige makes incredible guitars. I was looking to buy one a while back and talked to a lot of people who had them, got nothing but great feedback. I think they have a reviews page on their website. I also emailed a few people on youtube who had them.

• Members

nope......I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for what is essentially a Korean OEM factory guitar....especially sight unseen.

I don't think they are Korean OEM. All the wood and construction is Canadian and the pickups and other parts are American (Seymour Duncan Pickups). It's my understanding that only the assembly is done is South Korea.

Anyways, I really want it, now I'm just trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. I NEED convincing!

• Members

I'm not looking at a Prestige as any type of investment. I'm just looking for a solid player that does not need any mods. Just play whatcha brung type guitar. Plus, I don't consider $680 a high end guitar.

Anyways, I really want it, now I'm just trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. I NEED convincing!

no i wasant saying thats a high end guitar..just that ive had to sell some high end less known guitars for dirt...but yeah im just like you i never buy guitars thinking of resale..if i like it and I think its worth it...its a done deal..just go for it bro!!

• Members

I'm not looking at a Prestige as any type of investment. I'm just looking for a solid player that does not need any mods. Just play whatcha brung type guitar. Plus, I don't consider $680 a high end guitar.

I don't think they are Korean OEM. All the wood and construction is Canadian and the pickups and other parts are American (Seymour Duncan Pickups). It's my understanding that only the assembly is done is South Korea.

no way I'm buying that...(the idea..not the guitar..) Nobody is making guitars in N. America, sending them to Korea for assembly and then sending them back to N. America. If they are saying "assembled" in Korea then they are sneakily trying imply it's more canadian than it really is. It's made in Korea.

Oh and last time I checked there was no such thing as canadian mahogany or canadian rosewood....so at best they are using canadian maple for the tops.

Personally I'd rather buy a Godin. At least they are really made in Canada.

• Members

I definitely wouldn't if I were you, unless they have some kind of return policy. For me personally, I would never buy a guitar unseen/before I played it unless it was under 2 or 3 bills with a return policy, or is a stellar price on a piece of used gear (that way I could always flip it and not lose money even if I don't end up liking it). The feel of a guitar is the most important thing to me (I figure I can always dial in a good tone regardless of the pickups), so I'm usually really picky about guitars.

EDIT: Jeez, $680 isn't that much for a guitar to you? My main acoustics (70s Guild D-25M and 1964 Epiphone FT-30 Caballero) were only $400 and $300 respectively, and my Squier Classic Vibe Tele was only $300 out the door. You don't have to pay big bucks to get some good quality stuff nowadays.

• Members

Prestige is the Mfr in Korea that USED TO make ALL of the Epiphones for Gibson. They still make the Elite series for Epi.

Yamaha used to do a similar thing. Warmoth Necks, Sperzel tuners, Wilkinson trems all imported from the US and assembled in Taiwan.

All the Pacifica 600 models were built this way.

Archived