Xaviere guitars?

LordOVchaoS

• Members

Well the shape is that of the XV-700 like this.

xaviere_2a.jpg

I don't recall if the shell tops shared the same model number. And of course the Zemaitis style headstock which I much prefer.
:cool:

BTW have you tried emailing Jay?

I didn't because they don't make them anymore. I think The model was Xaviere XV-1100.They blew them out a couple of years ago.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Xaviere guitars are hit and miss for me, and I own a bunch of them. Some are good enough quality for me to use pro. Others not quite so. The QC is a bit by bit individual by guitar. When I recieve one that isn't great, I'll tune to an open tuning and use it for slide. I buy both their new and blemished units. Their blemished guitars are more blemished than they say, but my collection of guitars is very large, so I don't mind. I don't have one of their solid ash teles yet, but I will be getting one. This is only IMHO..I like them overall.

• Members

Does anyone own one of these? If you do could you please post some pictures of yours? Thanks!(this one belongs to someone on TGP). What was the model number for this guitar?

xavypageyjr001.jpg

The guitar is most likely a Zemaitis. They still make guitars, but the original luthier died some years back and his originals go for 20,000 +. Alden makes very nice copies. Zemaitis has a website which should help you. Hope this helps. Of course, the photo may be of a Zemaitis copy..

• Members

The guitar is most likely a Zemaitis. They still make guitars, but the original luthier died some years back and his originals go for 20,000 +. Alden makes very nice copies. Zemaitis has a website which should help you. Hope this helps. Of course, the photo may be of a Zemaitis copy..

Thanks for the post. It really is an Xavier Zemaitis copy. The model number is XV-1250

XV1250_MAIN.jpg

[YOUTUBE]FzyAroIegXQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'm assuming lincoln40 had to say something about me. I think he is in love with me. He follows me in every thread.

I'm glad nobody responded/quoted to whatever he says, hopefully most people have him on ignore by now.

• Members

I'm assuming lincoln40 had to say something about me. I think he is in love with me.
He follows me in every thread

I'm glad nobody responded/quoted to whatever he says, hopefully most people have him on ignore by now.

He's the one bringing up my name in threads. The irony:facepalm:

• Members

I shouldn't have brought his name up. He quotes me in every thread, I only brought his name up because he continues to make stuff up about me and Agile.

See my sig, just put him on ignore. Moderation is apprarently ineffective at keeping former banned members away.

• Members

I shouldn't have brought his name up. He quotes me in every thread, I only brought his name up because he continues to make stuff up about me and Agile.

See my sig, just put him on ignore. Moderation is apprarently ineffective at keeping former banned members away.

Help me.....I'm Being STALKEDDD!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Members

Hello, I am new to the forum, and just posted my first thread regarding my purchase of a Level 11 Tele copy. I saw your inquiry regarding the Xaviere guitars, and I will share this with you. I own the Jazzmaster copy with cream P-90 pups and knobs, vintage whammy bar, mint-green pickguard, and a beautiful Ocean Blue Metallic color. The neck and headstock were stained a beautiful "chicken fat" amber yellow, to simulate an aged neck. I had been to the Guitarfetish site many times to drool over the beautiful colors, classy looking craftmanship, and unique configurations they offer. I had never seen a Jazzmaster with Gibson style P-90 pups before, so I ordered the guitar, and the hardshell case. which cost $49.00 extra.(Total cost: $225.00) The guitar arrived, in the case, and securely packed. I was elated at first, because of the sheer beauty of the thing, and I was pleased at first. When I purchase a new guitar, I am not expecting it to play like I want it to, right out of the box, and I have been doing my own modifications since I was a kid. I expect to change strings to Ernie Ball 10s, install Shaller straplocks, and do an action and intonation job on most all guitars I own, and I own about 30 guitars, from a 1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom, '69 and '70 Gibson SGs, Jackson, Paul Reed Smith, B.C.Rich, Fender Strats (5), Fender Cyclone, and many more, including lots of cheap guitars, and project "hybrid" guitars I have modded myself, so I know a good guitar when I play one. Unfortunately, the Xaviere needed some major adjustments before it was even playable. The action was sky-high when I started, and no amount of bridge adjustment could compensate. I did not panic because I figured I could merely tighten the trussrod a bit, and that would take the action down into the playable zone. The forward bow on the neck was so extreme that I figured there was probably no tension on the trussrod, since many companies tend to ship cheaper guitars that way, allowing for temperature and climatic changes during storage and shipment. I was a little puzzled that the guitar was not shipped ready to play, since the website claims that each guitar undergoes a meticulous setup from technicians at their factory, before shipping. If that is so, then this guitar was set up by a blind, deaf, dude with no hands! Any competent tech who played this guitar before leaving the factory would be ashamed to let it go to the consumer in such an unplayable condition! Nevertheless, I was sure that a simple tightening of the trussrod would bring that action right down. Boy was I wrong! When I checked the trussrod with the supplied wrench, I found that it was fairly tight already. I never adjust a trussrod without checking to see how much tension is on it first, so I loosened the rod, and then brought it back up to the point where I started. I then proceeded to tighten the trussrod, adding more tension, and to my dismay, the strings began to rise even higher! I have never seen this happen before, and I was at first, totally baffled. I began to speculate as to why on earth would tightening a trussrod raise the action and bow the neck even more? Then it hit me. Maybe the trussrod was installed backwards or was broken or otherwise defective. I finally resorted to removing the neck and shimming the neck, using old plastic credit cards without the raised lettering on them, to form one hell of a shim. I cut the shims to fill the whole neck pocket, raising it uniformly, rather than a partial shim, which is useful for adjusting neck angles. I drilled holes in the four corners of the shim, so the four neck screws would go through the shim evenly. After reassembling the guitar and installing new Ernie Ball 10s, I reset the bridge and harmonics, and the guitar plays like a dream. One day, a thought occurred to me that I should check out the trussrod more throughly. I began to wonder if maybe the guitar had a bi-flex type truss, usually not found on guitars this cheap. I revisited the trussrod, loosening it once again to the slack position. I then continued to rotate the trussrod wrench in the opposite direction. The trussrod remained slack through about 4 complete turns, and then started to tighten up, in the opposite direction! To my amazement and pleasure, the neck began to straighten, and the action came down. I then raised the bridge back up slightly, and tuned the strings up to pitch (I always lower string tension during trussrod adjustments). The guitar tech who set this guitar up evidently did not realize he had tightened the trussrod in the wrong direction, or he just didn't care, because that was all it really needed all along. If you know anybody who has this problem with their Xaviere guitars, pass this along, because there's no telling how many really good guitars are being set up by this guy who obviously doesn't know his butt from apple butter. I have struck a very happy medium between the trussrod setting and my shims under the neck. The guitar plays just great now. The pickups are awesome sounding through my tube amps, (VOX and MARSHALL), and until I get the motivation to remove the shims, (which apparently weren't needed after all) I will leave well enough alone. This guitar now looks, plays, and sounds great! If you have any questions, feel free to post them or E-mail me at cwj2@att.net warmest regards, Rattlesnake.-ssss-.

• Members

Good post rattlesnake - but yeah, paragraphs. :o

I had the same problem with my XV-600. The strings were way high, and when I tightened the truss rod, it seemed to not have much leeway in it before it maxed out to the point where I didn't want to force it anymore. I loosened it back and tried again, but same result, so I just left it there, figuring that was the best I was going to get on a cheap guitar like that. With some saddle height adjustment it's not really that bad, but I think it could be better.

Are you saying you loosened it even way more than just a quarter/half turn or so from the starting point, and when you tightened it again it started working more normally? Or that you kept loosening and loosening it until it finally started working, meaning it was in fact a two way rod, and you actually have to turn it backward to get it to tighten? (I've never had one of those, to my knowledge - didn't think they would even put them in cheap guitars like this.) Also did you have to leave the shims in after you adjusted it from getting the truss rod working properly? Or is it cool now with just the truss rod setup? - [n/m, I see you left some in - lol, almost didn't see that in the massive block of text :cop: ]

• Members

I had one of the Jazzmaster copies. Great little guitar... minor setup and good to go. Pickups sounded good, trem worked good, played good.

I still have one of their tele copies. The heaviest guitar I own (Ash). I have a P-90 at the neck and a GFS Fatbody at the bridge. Great playing and sounding guitar.

CIMG1360.jpg

• Members

Nice detailed account of your experience, but PARAGRAPH BREAKS ARE YOUR FRIEND!

Hello, I am new to the forum, and just posted my first thread regarding my purchase of a Level 11 Tele copy.

I saw your inquiry regarding the Xaviere guitars, and I will share this with you. I own the Jazzmaster copy with cream P-90 pups and knobs, vintage whammy bar, mint-green pickguard, and a beautiful Ocean Blue Metallic color. The neck and headstock were stained a beautiful "chicken fat" amber yellow, to simulate an aged neck.

I had been to the Guitarfetish site many times to drool over the beautiful colors, classy looking craftmanship, and unique configurations they offer. I had never seen a Jazzmaster with Gibson style P-90 pups before, so I ordered the guitar, and the hardshell case. which cost $49.00 extra.(Total cost: $225.00)

The guitar arrived, in the case, and securely packed. I was elated at first, because of the sheer beauty of the thing, and I was pleased at first. When I purchase a new guitar, I am not expecting it to play like I want it to, right out of the box, and I have been doing my own modifications since I was a kid. I expect to change strings to Ernie Ball 10s, install Shaller straplocks, and do an action and intonation job on most all guitars I own, and I own about 30 guitars, from a 1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom, '69 and '70 Gibson SGs, Jackson, Paul Reed Smith, B.C.Rich, Fender Strats (5), Fender Cyclone, and many more, including lots of cheap guitars, and project "hybrid" guitars I have modded myself, so I know a good guitar when I play one.

Unfortunately, the Xaviere needed some major adjustments before it was even playable. The action was sky-high when I started, and no amount of bridge adjustment could compensate. I did not panic because I figured I could merely tighten the trussrod a bit, and that would take the action down into the playable zone. The forward bow on the neck was so extreme that I figured there was probably no tension on the trussrod, since many companies tend to ship cheaper guitars that way, allowing for temperature and climatic changes during storage and shipment.

I was a little puzzled that the guitar was not shipped ready to play, since the website claims that each guitar undergoes a meticulous setup from technicians at their factory, before shipping. If that is so, then this guitar was set up by a blind, deaf, dude with no hands! Any competent tech who played this guitar before leaving the factory would be ashamed to let it go to the consumer in such an unplayable condition!

Nevertheless, I was sure that a simple tightening of the trussrod would bring that action right down. Boy was I wrong! When I checked the trussrod with the supplied wrench, I found that it was fairly tight already. I never adjust a trussrod without checking to see how much tension is on it first, so I loosened the rod, and then brought it back up to the point where I started. I then proceeded to tighten the trussrod, adding more tension, and to my dismay, the strings began to rise even higher! I have never seen this happen before, and I was at first, totally baffled.

I began to speculate as to why on earth would tightening a trussrod raise the action and bow the neck even more? Then it hit me. Maybe the trussrod was installed backwards or was broken or otherwise defective.

I finally resorted to removing the neck and shimming the neck, using old plastic credit cards without the raised lettering on them, to form one hell of a shim. I cut the shims to fill the whole neck pocket, raising it uniformly, rather than a partial shim, which is useful for adjusting neck angles.

I drilled holes in the four corners of the shim, so the four neck screws would go through the shim evenly. After reassembling the guitar and installing new Ernie Ball 10s, I reset the bridge and harmonics, and the guitar plays like a dream.

One day, a thought occurred to me that I should check out the trussrod more throughly. I began to wonder if maybe the guitar had a bi-flex type truss, usually not found on guitars this cheap. I revisited the trussrod, loosening it once again to the slack position. I then continued to rotate the trussrod wrench in the opposite direction. The trussrod remained slack through about 4 complete turns, and then started to tighten up, in the opposite direction!

To my amazement and pleasure, the neck began to straighten, and the action came down. I then raised the bridge back up slightly, and tuned the strings up to pitch (I always lower string tension during trussrod adjustments). The guitar tech who set this guitar up evidently did not realize he had tightened the trussrod in the wrong direction, or he just didn't care, because that was all it really needed all along.

If you know anybody who has this problem with their Xaviere guitars, pass this along, because there's no telling how many really good guitars are being set up by this guy who obviously doesn't know his butt from apple butter.

I have struck a very happy medium between the trussrod setting and my shims under the neck. The guitar plays just great now. The pickups are awesome sounding through my tube amps, (VOX and MARSHALL), and until I get the motivation to remove the shims, (which apparently weren't needed after all) I will leave well enough alone.

This guitar now looks, plays, and sounds great! If you have any questions, feel free to post them or E-mail me at
warmest regards, Rattlesnake.-ssss-.

There. Fixed.

....and by the way, your truss rod isn't intended to adjust the overall height of the strings, just the bow (relief). Your credit card shim was the way to go.

..oh, and welcome to the forum!

• Members

I still have one of their tele copies. The heaviest guitar I own (Ash). I have a P-90 at the neck and a GFS Fatbody at the bridge. Great playing and sounding guitar.

CIMG1360.jpg

Off topic somewhat, but I LOVE that idea for a pickguard. I've already got a few records in mind.

• Members

Rattlesnake dude paragraphs. :poke:

Anyhow thanks for the write up. That's mind boggling that they installed a two way truss rod. I wonder if all the necks have that now...I mean geez I wonder if Jay even knows.
:lol:

Two way truss rods really aren't much more expensive than single... probably only a couple bucks when you buy quantity. They are nice to have.

• Members

Thanks for the quick feedback on my experiences with the Xaviere Jazzmaster copy. I appreciate you guys telling me to paragraph stuff. That was my first attempt to discuss a guitar on the forum, and I had no idea. In response to a question from someone regarding the trussrod adjustment on the Xaviere, I had to completely loosen the trussrod all the way, until it was totally slack, with no tension , and rather than tightening it back up the same direction as it was tightened from the factory, instead I continued to turn the trussrod wrench the opposite direction, as if I were continuing to loosen it. The truss remained totally slack for about 4 to 5 turns, and then began to tighten up going that direction. I continued to tighten the trussrod, as I said, going the opposite direction from the factory setup. After several half turns, I felt like I ought to tune it back up to see what effect it had. I was thrilled to see that already the neck was beginning to straighten, so I quickly detuned and tightened the truss several more quarter turns, carefully detuning and checking the action each time. I certainly did not want to overdo it and break the rod or twist the neck. After several of these adjustments and a re-do on the bridge height the guitar played great, and I realized that I probably didn't need the shims, but the thing plays so good, I'm reluctant to pull them out. Another person made the comment that trussrod adjustment was not intended as the primary method of action /string height and that is exactly right. I make it a practice to attempt to resolve all string action issues at the bridge first,unless a tweaking of the trussrod is needed, due to excess forward bow (loose trussrod) or more rarely, a trussrosd that has been overly tightened, and is causing strings to rattle on the frets or causing dead spots or other excess tension related problems. I don't like my trussrods to be tightened any more than is needed to resolve the problem. Thanks for your comments Sss-sincerely, Rattlesnake -ssss- P.S. When I typed this in, I broke it up into paragraphs, but when I previewed, it looked like my paragraphing was gone. If this doesn't come out right. help me out and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I want to be a good threader. Thanks.

Archived