Has Apple Gone Too Far This Time?

Anderton

• Members

I have a friend who owns Microsoft Office. He needed to get a new MacBook Pro, and he wanted to re-install Office. He has the original distribution discs, but not the serial number (dumb not to have that stored someplace safe, but he knows better now).

No problem, I said. Just download OpenOffice from openoffice.org. It's by Sun MIcrosystems so it's not some sketchy or pirated software, and if works just fine. Most of the magazines I work with in Europe use it on Windows instead of Microsoft Office.

So he downloaded Open Office, and received the following message when he tried to open it on his Mac:

OpenOffice\_Fail.jpg

SERIOUSLY? I can no longer choose what software I want to install on a computer?

Guess I'll be sticking with 10.6.8 for as long as I can. This seems like total BS to me.

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

530abb1ba8b67.jpg

• Members

uh... that's a (very good) security feature actually! wave

tell him to....

go to the Security & Privacy tab in the System Preferences. 

Change the setting Under "Allow apps downloaded from"

TO: "Anywhere." 

And then he can open it. 

If he doesn't want this protection, he can of course leave it on "anywhere." 

but it's better to change the setting back to "identified developers." That way HE gets to decide what can be opened (legitimate software) and what can't (malware). 

(you're still on 10.6.8??... you really aren't a mac person  hmm)

• Members

That one's an easy fix! The idoit in my avatar installed 10.9 on my 17" MBP and now he can no longer print to the HP printer attached to the winXP computer on my WiFi, something that worked flawlessy on all prior OSX versions. Although the HP forums pointed me to some new drivers it didn't fix this problem.

Now that's pretty sad but it gets even worse........OS10.9 killed my expresscard slot and now I can no longer use my UAD 2 Solo/laptop card! Of course any of the other expresscard adapters I used to use won't work either.

OS10.9.1 is some sort of strange virus or perhaps a sick joke like was played on the unsuspecting public in the Halloween 3 movie!

• Members

Goobers wrote:

uh... that's a (very good) security feature actually! 
wave

tell him to....

go to the Security & Privacy tab in the System Preferences. 

Change the setting Under "Allow apps downloaded from"

TO: "Anywhere." 

And then he can open it. 

If he doesn't want this protection, he can of course leave it on "anywhere." 

but it's better to change the setting back to "identified developers." That way HE gets to decide what can be opened (legitimate software) and what can't (malware). 

(you're still on 10.6.8??... you really aren't a mac person  
hmm
)

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

So basically it's the same deal as the Windows UAC - it's a PITA, but you can turn it off and turn it back on again. That's much more comforting.

As to 10.6.8...my desktop was built a month before the cutoff date where Macs could run the fully 64-bit operating systems, so Lion was the end of the line (end of the lion?) for updates for me. When Mountain Lion came out I couldn't find Lion anywhere, although I just found out it's available for $20 from the Apple store so I'm going to at least upgrade to that.

There's a hack that can be done to my desktop so it runs Mountain Lion and Mavericks, because there's no physical reason why it can't run a 64-bit system. But thehack looks like a time sink and requires replacing the graphics card and some other such stuff...Apple would just like me to buy new hardware, but given the cost of the Cylinder, that's out of range for a while.

The irony is that I actually log more time on Macs than on Windows, because I use Windows only for music and video; the Mac does everything else. So in that context, I don't really need the latest and greatest Mac OS anyway.

If you have any words of wisdom or encouragement about the 64-bit hack for 1.1 desktop pros, I'm all ears :)

• Members

Anderton wrote:

No problem, I said. Just download OpenOffice from openoffice.org. It's by Sun MIcrosystems so it's not some sketchy or pirated software, and if works just fine. Most of the magazines I work with in Europe use it on Windows instead of Microsoft Office.

Craig, just fyi, OpenOffice has not be owned by Sun, who purchased StarOffice, in ages. Oracle took over a few years ago. The word was, Oracle was originally going to take OpenOffice out of open source and because of that many of the developers jumped ship and started LibreOffice. OpenOffice was stale with no developement for awhile and during that time I went with LibreOffice. Some time after that Oracle donated the project to Apache Software, the present owners. And, apparently they've gotten back to upgrading the product to a top of the line software.

Anyway, now you know more about OpenOffice than you probably ever wanted to know.

I kicked Microsoft to the curb in 2002 when OpenOffice 1.0 came out and though it didn't have all the bells and whistles Word did at the time, it did everything I needed in word processing and spreadsheet work. I think the only piece of software from Micorsoft I missed was Publisher. At the time it was very easy to use compared to other publishing software.

Archived