The Hollow Guitar

Elias Graves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Weird place for the pickup selector. I'd hit that thing all the time.

No, that's the point of why it's there-- it's right about under the guard so that when your strumming it's nowhere to be hit. Think of how easy it is to accidentally switch to the bridge PU on an LP. Nice design, I wish we'd see it on more gitters.

• Members
http://www.elutherie.org/2008/01/koll-guitar-archtop.html

Koll-RE7-Archtop-Guitar.jpg

Multi scale. Weird.

EG

Not really. Only the body's weird. That's a 7-string guitar. I belong to sevenstring.org. Fanned multiscale 7 and 8-strings are becoming more common. The problem with the low B (and especially with the low F# on an 8-string), is that at a 24.75 or 25.5" scale length, they become kind of flubby soundwise, and flabby feelwise. If you stretch the scale length to 27 or 28" (some 8-strings have 30" scale lengths!) for better tension on the low strings, the extra tension on the high strings not only makes them harder to bend, but it can make them kind of shrill sounding. With a fanned multi-scale 7or 8-string guitar, you can have the longer scale length on the lower strings to keep the tension tighter on them, and the shorter scale length on the high strings, to keep them from being too tight tensionwise.

• Members
I had an Epi Dot Deluxe for about a year, but I just didn't bond with it. So, I found this semi-hollow JR Beck, made by Shine (model SHC-908) -- a Gibson ES 135 copy. Plays great. Sorry, I'm new to the forum and I am not sure how to attach images. You can also see them on my facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=439713&id=1631089495#/photo.php?pid=439713&id=1631089495

Niice!! :thu: Welcome to HCEG! :)

Ellen
Player of a Gretsch Country Club (who says you can't do metal with Country Club!?)

• Members
Yeah. that is the trini lopez deluxe. It looks like a barney kessel with different soundholes and headstock.

gibson-barney-kessel.gif

I almost bought a Barney Kessel back in the early 80s, but the neck was twisted, and having had a bad experience with a Les Paul Special that had a twisted neck a couple of years previously (it was twisted badly enough, that it woudln't even tune up properly), I dcided to pass on it.

• Members
Nothing quite sounds like a fully hollow bodied guitar. I like the zing that you get from the unwound strings and the tight but slightly muted growl from the low notes. I have two that are void of any innards other than bracing:

8120.jpg

starIII.jpg

starIIIb.jpg

The Gretsch 6120-1960 is all monkey business with its floating tone bar bridge and TV Jones Classics. It's built to rock, but I play a lot of slow, moody {censored} on that guitar. It's great for bending strings and getting sweet controlled feedback with the whammy like Neil Young. The Starfire II may be one of the best bang for the buck guitars in around. You can get them for under a grand, and they were built to ultra high standards.

The Starfire III has a Bigsby and the IV is an ES 335 copy--all are great. The pickups are humbuckers wound to give the same output as the typical PAF copy, but this is a loud, proud Starfire and the notes just fly out at you. It's especially beefy on the bass end with a lot more steely snarl than an ES 335. In fact, you might describe it as a less polite, ruder, cruder thinline than most Gibsons. Yeah, that's a bone nut on the Guild, something Gibson hasn't done for decades.

-

Sexy guild guitar is sexy

• Members

Ain't no guitar that good for me.

You and me both brother. The most I would ever EVER consider is maybe...and this is a big maybe...is about $2500. But then that would have to last me a LOOOONG time. But my MiM Strat is pretty fricken nice...even though I've put about $400 bucks of work into it.

But I'd really like a Gretsch Setzer 6120

• Members

I caved in earlier this week and bought one of these:
5003bkp2.jpg
on ebay for $145 shipped. It's fully hollow. Obviously cheap, has some finish flaws, cheap tuners, pickups and electronics are as expected, and it needs a fret level, but....

I like it. I really do. :)

• Members

What is it? Looks good.

EG

I cannot believe you haven't heard of the Windaroo Guitar Company.

"This is a Very High Quality 6 String Hollow Body Electric Guitar, Black in Brand New Condition. This guitar is All Hand-Craft work and provides very professional quality sound."

ebay Search term: Professional 6 String Hollow Body Electric Guitar

Not a great guitar, but with some work it'll be good.

• Members
  • Members

Archived