The Hollow Guitar

Elias Graves

• Members
Funny.. I thought that some "Pacsal" is selling it, cuz you had it on you photobucked..
:)
the link I send is your profile on tgp i found googling the nickname..
Note to myself: look at the name of a person you are talking to..
well.. aye.. 3kE.. thats quite a lot..
count me in for that "terrible might happen in France" though..

btw they want 2400 for a 1962 ES-125..
:D

:o

No, I copied the pic from the shop's website to my photobucket when I had bad thoughts about buying it. But I've finally convinced myself not to do it. For now. :o

But I've actually sold a guitar though this shop recently. They let the owner decide of the selling price and take a (reasonable) commission. 2400 Euros for an ES-125 is a bit sharp, but not necessarily their idea of what it should go for.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did google those 79 ES-175/cc, BTW, and wasn't able to find many fans of them. Norlin era is supposed to be bad, the guitar is supposed to be incorrect for an ES-175 (wrong neck wood...), and the cc aren't supposed to be the same as the old ones. :(

Still a good thing that I'm not supposed to get less than 600km away from this guitar when I'm in France, though, or temptation might get the best of me. :o

• Members

That's really interesting-- they copied Harmony's higher end archtop f-holes. I have never seen that cut on anything besides a Harmony. What company is that?

My feeling, though, on archtops with Bigsby's is that they're stupid-- it's partly an acoustic instrument, so why put this large, movement dampening mass on top of the soundboard? Seems stupid. Anybody else feel this way?

Reverend pete anderson sig

• Members

That's really interesting-- they copied Harmony's higher end archtop f-holes. I have never seen that cut on anything besides a Harmony. What company is that?

My feeling, though, on archtops with Bigsby's is that they're stupid-- it's partly an acoustic instrument, so why put this large, movement dampening mass on top of the soundboard? Seems stupid. Anybody else feel this way?

not this guy ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA3lTf-lh6E&feature=related

• Members
The 125 was a student guitar, but to my hands feels wonderful. Actually one of my favorite Gibsons. The thinline model with cutaway and double P90s is one of my favorite guitars.

EG

Marc Ribot agrees with you:
marcribot.jpg
:thu:

I own a full depth one with 2 P90s and a cutaway (see post #51) and love it.

• Members

The 125 was a student guitar, but to my hands feels wonderful. Actually one of my favorite Gibsons. The thinline model with cutaway and double P90s is one of my favorite guitars.

EG

I agree.. I have a 225 as you may know.. but would you pay 2400Euro for a 125 when you can get them for $900-$1300?

• Members

No, I copied the pic from the shop's website to my photobucket when I had bad thoughts about buying it. But I've finally convinced myself not to do it. For now.

But I've actually sold a
guita
r though this shop recently. They let the owner decide of the selling price and take a (reasonable) commission. 2400 Euros for an ES-125 is a bit sharp, but not necessarily
their
idea of what it should go for.

That Takamine looks great..

• Members

The 125 was supposedly one of Robert Godin's inspirations for the 5th Avenue.

They feel very similar, though the plain acoustic version of it sounds much better than any 125 unplugged.

I don't think the 125 ever tried to be an acoustic archtop. Mine even has a fixed tune-o-matic instead of the usual floating bridge.

• Members

No it doidn't but a lot of the body design of the 5th Avenue comes from the 125 as well as the old Harmony/Kay guitars which were also related to the 125.

EG

Truth.

My point was that it's unfair to compare their acoutic tones: the Godin is an acoustic guitar, the 125 is not.

• Members
You are correct. That's why I'm wanting to do the floating pickup on the 5th.

Double duty as an acoustic as well as an electric. One less guitar to carry.

Eg

Posts #51 (my ES-125) and 53 (my Eastman acoustic w/floating minihum) are proofs of my understanding and agreement. :thu:

• Members

The 125 was supposedly one of Robert Godin's inspirations for the 5th Avenue.

They feel very similar, though the plain acoustic version of it sounds much better than any 125 unplugged.

I have the Silvertone (which is a Harmony). The 5th sounds better than it as well. Not sure how Rober did it, but he managed to coax much more bass out of the archtop design. A very pleasing acoustic.

EG

With the amount of plugs that you've been giving the 5th Ave. lately, EG, I'm beginning to think you're getting some kind of payola.

• Members

• Members

Nice. What's one like that worth today?

EG

No idea.

I do know that they were pretty inexpensive, bottom of the line -- I've seen an old Yamaha catalog. You'd never think it was inexpensive because of the workmanship -- made when Yamaha was still a FURNITURE company I believe.

Archived