The Hollow Guitar

Elias Graves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
EG~! i cannt afford it at the moment but i wll soon...did yall by chance see the new colors on some of the country clubs models? tiki room gold and twotone grey? awe-some

Two tone grey-
http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6196TSP-2G&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

tiki room gold-
http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6196TSP-BY&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

Nah, I think I'll stick with my Caddy Green 'Club!! :D

• Members

in defense of my guitar, it isn't lime green. it is officially listed as "smoke green", but it is a kind of pale green, over a darker green (the color on the back is always roughly the color of the pickguard).

smoke green (i don't think they are available new any longer, and they look a little softer/paler in real life)
6118_VintLacq_JT06105675combo.jpg

jaguar tan (the current anniversary color). the back is a kind of metallic gold.
P2150227.jpg

bamboo yellow (discontinued a few years back)
G6118T120_Anniversary_JT05010135.jpg

the new jag tan annies with the upgraded tv jones are amazing guitars. i sat down with one at gc for a good half hour, going directly into a tiny terror. oh my. but i don't like nitro guitars, so i had to dig up a poly version. and i was transfixed by the green. it had to be the 2 tone green. i was actually sold on the guitar before ever even playing it. luckily, i adore it, and now that i've modded it up, it is my #2 electric, but the one i play the most. totally cured my heritage gas (which almost happened, but the nitro/poly thing sealed it for me). but they need huge strings and a bar bridge. {censored} that space control {censored}.

and most importantly, if you play an annie on stage, you will get laid. repeat: you will get laid. women love them. my annie is actually my most complimented guitar, especially by non guitarists. not sure what it is, but the lay people love them.

love,
eor

incidentally, there is a lime green gretsch- setzer hot rod in limed gold:

setzerHRlimegoldJT04063303combo.jpg

• Members
My first guitar with large interior voids, though only semi Hollow. 1979 Guild SF4. It's almost entirely maple, which combined with the pup voicing, gives a full but snappy sound.

The bridge is really interesting, and at first seems overly complicated but it's a great design. It's sort of a roller bridge, but the roller saddles roll along a threaded shaft allowing for the adjustment of string spacing. It also keeps in tune wonderfully.

IMG_9889.jpg

Good guitars, those ones. :thu:

• Members

Here are some cool acoustics, even though this is HCEG...

1942-45 Harmony Patrician. Has a solid spruce top with a mahogany center strip, curly mahogany back. Not that there's very little metal on this thing-- you can date these ones as being war ear because the tailpieces were made of walnut and not steel, and the tuning machines were *very* slimmed down. The ornamentation on it is beautiful though, with a great checkerboard wooden binding around the top. These were Harmony's top-o-the-line.

ybciq.jpg

This is a mid-60's (from what little information I can find) Kiso-Suzuki archtop. Solid spruce (possibly carved) top and what I believe is a birch back and sides. It's been through hell and a refinish or two, but it sounds incredible, like an vintage L-5 I once played. Picked it up for a song. It's got this great tailpiece with an ornate "S" embossed on it in brass over the silver, so I played it at my wedding (last name begins with S). I will not sell this one. Ever.

NLoMr.jpg

5Loc9.jpg

Sorry for the pic quality-- I'm in a pictury mood tonight after taking pics of the 575 and just didn't want to wait till sunup.

• Members

Nothing quite sounds like a fully hollow bodied guitar. I like the zing that you get from the unwound strings and the tight but slightly muted growl from the low notes. I have two that are void of any innards other than bracing:

8120.jpg

starIII.jpg

starIIIb.jpg

The Gretsch 6120-1960 is all monkey business with its floating tone bar bridge and TV Jones Classics. It's built to rock, but I play a lot of slow, moody {censored} on that guitar. It's great for bending strings and getting sweet controlled feedback with the whammy like Neil Young. The Starfire II may be one of the best bang for the buck guitars in around. You can get them for under a grand, and they were built to ultra high standards.

The Starfire III has a Bigsby and the IV is an ES 335 copy--all are great. The pickups are humbuckers wound to give the same output as the typical PAF copy, but this is a loud, proud Starfire and the notes just fly out at you. It's especially beefy on the bass end with a lot more steely snarl than an ES 335. In fact, you might describe it as a less polite, ruder, cruder thinline than most Gibsons. Yeah, that's a bone nut on the Guild, something Gibson hasn't done for decades.

-

I own a Guild Starfire III. It can howl quite well and has controllable feed back through my DRRI. I like it mostly because it is not muddy sounding. You can get highs and great mids and lows. I also like the vintage tone. I use it when we have no acoustic guitarist available since it has such a great range of tone.

• Members
GREAT - thanx alot, i am actually looking for a mic that does just that
:thu:

Looking into it right now.

Really, if you want a good ribbon mic and don't want to pay the ridiculous Royer prices, get a Beyer M-160 (and possibly M-130 for the pair). When I was doing nothing but engineering it was my goto mic for almost all strings and even some vocals. I cannot compliment that mic enough. Unfortunately now they're somewhere around $700 new, but I could not get a bad sound out of that one. If you talk to other engineers they'll also say the same. Yes, Royers are nice, but way overpriced. All the russian ones suck. Basically all the lower priced ribbons are worthless, so save up and get yourself a 160. Best money I ever spent on a mic.

• Members
gibson_es345_custom_shop_009.jpg
The ES-345. All maple body with mahogany neck. Varitone switch.

EG

Before I bought the Les Paul Signature I played during my final 3 years of college (see below, what one looks like), I had a chance to buy an early 60s ES-345, for about $400 (due to the finish being ratty on it). I was good to go, until I tried it out - the bridge pickup didn't work!! The music store owner said that it would be repaired. I told him I'd make my final decision after the pickup or wiring was repaired. The problem was fixed, and before I got a chance to try it out, it was bought out from under me by somebody else!! :mad:

Gibson Les Paul Signature - mine was tobacco sunburst, and had a retrofitted brass nut, and Grover Tuners
1973-gibson-les-paul-signature%20b.jpg

• Members
What are the pickups shown there?

EG

They are low impedance humbuckers similar to what Gibson put in the Les Paul Recording model. They sound OK overdriven, but sound a little better, when you play clean. They were almost too even sounding frequency response-wise, for my tastes. My main beef was the neck. It was one of the infamous "speed" necks that Gibson put on its guitars in the 70s. It seemed kind of cramped at the nut.

Control-wise:

1. 2 jacks. I can't remember which was which. One jack was on the front face of the guitar, and the other jack was on the rim of the guitar ala, a Les Paul.
A. One jack used an impedance transformer to get the impedance to match up better to your amp's input impedance.
B. One jack didn't have an impedance transformer. This allowed you to go directly to a PA, or recording console, while keeping any noise, or loss of frequency response down to a minimum. I used to occasionally goof up, and plug into the low impedance/front face jack. I'd realize my mistake, when I'd plug into the Peavey Encore 65 I was using at the time, and have a squeaky clean sound, even when using the distortion channel!! I threw me for a loop for the first few times, because I thought my Encore 65 was screwed up (they weren't one of Peavey's more reliable amps)!

2. Master volume control.

3. Master Tone control.

4. Rotary phasing switch - for that pinched out-of-phase sound when running both pickups together.

5. Rotary Varitone switch (like an ES-345, ES-355, or B.B. King Lucille model) - I can't remember if it was a 3 or a 5-position switch. IIRC (I traded the guitar in June 1987 [shortly before I graduated college], when I decided I needed a more thrash metal oriented guitar :facepalm:), I typically kept the switch in one of the middle settings.

I couldn't find any videos of the Gibson version, but Epiphone made a reissue a few years back, and here's a video of it:

[YOUTUBE]nzZ_XswNmC8[/YOUTUBE]

Archived