Help Me Pick A Good Strat!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

go play a whole {censored}load of them and come home with the one you like best. it's the only way.

This.

I would also say that if you are a gigging musician, Try out the floyd equipped strats. IMO, same thing but with better tuning stability. Once you get over the learning curve of how a floyd works, you'll never go back.

• Members

I know it is not what you are looking for, but with 800 bucks you could put together a great Strat yourself to the specs you are looking for.

Word, I know it, I'd just like to get something stock. I'm not big on modding so much anymore. My soldering iron has been cold for awhile.

• Members

Lovely thing about Fender is there's a Strat for everyone. Outside the MIM range, they're even improving for lefty availability.

This.

I would also say that if you are a gigging musician, Try out the floyd equipped strats. IMO, same thing but with better tuning stability. Once you get over the learning curve of how a floyd works, you'll never go back.

A gigging muso who uses a trem, that is. ;) Again, depends on player needs. Floyds are great for those who love them some extreme vibrato action, but unnecessary for those who don't.

• Members

I'm not interested in selling or trading it, but I have a Highway One from few years back. It's Daphne Blue and I put a aged peal guard on it and it has a set of BG Phatties in in. Black trim bits, maple, big headstock. You're more than welcome to borrow it for a couple months to see if you like it. You can gig with it and I don't care if you ding it a bit as long as you don't throw it out of your truck.

I have a couple pics in my photobucket, but I'm on my phone and don't know how to link pics.

• Members

I'm not interested in selling or trading it, but I have a Highway One from few years back. It's Daphne Blue and I put a aged peal guard on it and it has a set of BG Phatties in in. Black trim bits, maple, big headstock. You're more than welcome to borrow it for a couple months to see if you like it. You can gig with it and I don't care if you ding it a bit as long as you don't throw it out of your truck.

I have a couple pics in my photobucket, but I'm on my phone and don't know how to link pics.

Word, I appreciate that. I might like to hear it to see what the BGs sound like but I don't need to borrow it.

I'm pretty sure know what to expect for the most part, and again, probably wond be gigging it unless I start a surf side thing.

But that's super nice of you. We need to arrange a get-together again. I have more fun pedals and whatnot.

• Members

I know you want a Fender. I'll be the token guy to mention in this thread that G&L's were made by Leo Fender and for the money you may be missing out if you don't look at
used
USA G&L's.

Those are very nice guitars. I just don't know if I could get past the headstock shape.

• Members

If G&L comes up I have to mention Music Man. The S/S/S Silhouette and the Albert Lee models are spectacular and come in a lot of colors. And they have incredible (maple) necks.

There are a few on the 'bay atm: (this one has no tremolo though)

DV016_Jpg_Large_511720005219004_USD3.jpg

• Members

If G&L comes up I have to mention Music Man. The S/S/S Silhouette and the Albert Lee models are spectacular and come in a lot of colors. And they have incredible (maple) necks.

There are a few on the 'bay atm: (this one has no tremolo though)

DV016_Jpg_Large_511720005219004_USD3.jpg

I do dig silhouettes, but the Albert Lee looks nuckin futz to me. And yeah, trem is a must.

• Members

People, the man wants a Fender.. Save the off-brands ;)

The American Standard (or whatever they call it these days) is pretty much the benchmark for all Fender Strats. If you could get it in a color you like, the Eric Johnson model is spectacular and can be had for around $1000 used. Probably less, but that's usually where I see them locally. I saw an EC Strat (in the funky green) for around $850 a couple months ago, so that's another possibility. But really, any American made Strat is going to be a great guitar. Sure, play 100 to see, but typically, even the 100th worst one is still going to be pretty nice. It all comes down to the setup..

• Members

People, the man wants a Fender.. Save the off-brands
;)

I was thinking the same thing. Sure I love my Benford and my warmoth but the man clearly stated must be Fender in the OP so I didn't go there.

As for the American standard, if talking the new 2012 Model with the Custom Shop pickups then yeah, that's a winner. Otherwise I'll take my CP 60s over a stock American standard along with the 300-400 in savings.

• Members

I was thinking the same thing. Sure I love my Benford and my warmoth but the man clearly stated must be Fender in the OP so I didn't go there.

As for the American standard, if talking the new 2012 Model with the Custom Shop pickups then yeah, that's a winner. Otherwise I'll take my CP 60s over a stock American standard along with the 300-400 in savings.

Yeah, upstairs, the 50's Strat is in the lead. I'm thinkin I'd like a slightly more vintage spec one. I already have like the most modern strat you could have.

As far as other brands go, I've glanced around and I'm still thinkin I want a Fender. All the Music Mans are H H or HSH, save for maybe one, and the G&Ls have that awful headstock shape. Carvin takes too long, and they're harder to resell.

• Members

i'm a fan of partscasters and modding. nothing like "rolling your own". you can make a Strat to your personal specs and do it for less than buying one off the shelf.

that being said, IMO its almost impossible to go wrong with any of the nice Strats being made at all price points, from the Squier Bullet on up to the Masterbuilts. i'm especially fond of the MIM classics.

• Members

I'm on a Strat quest, as well, and the last couple of days I've been considering (perhaps, wrongheadedly--I don't know) the Deluxe Players Strat. It has some specs that I like. For example, it has a neck w/ a 12" radius, and the ability to combine the neck pickup w/ the bridge pickup.

Anyway, I'll post a video and some pics and allow the mavens--and more importantly, you--decide.

[video=youtube;kyZYc1Ya8aE]

0133002338_frt_wmd_001.jpg

ishot311.jpg

ishot312.jpg

• Members

As far as other brands go, I've glanced around and I'm still thinkin I want a Fender. All the Music Mans are H H or HSH, save for maybe one, and the G&Ls have that awful headstock shape. Carvin takes too long, and they're harder to resell.

Gotcha.

I'm considering an American Special right now (thinner neck than standard, Jumbo frets), possibly a Road Worn Player (the relic'd maple neck might feel awesome, haven't had the chance to try one yet).

• Members

Gotcha.

I'm considering an American Special right now (thinner neck than standard, Jumbo frets), possibly a Road Worn Player (the relic'd maple neck might feel awesome, haven't had the chance to try one yet).

I love the feel of a dirty old maple neck/board. Whatever I get, once I'm set on keeping it, will receive a healthy dose of sandpaper and oil to the back of the neck.

Archived