How do PRS SE's compare with the USA made?

pinkvoid

• Members

I gotta say I LOVE my SE Marsden and have no problem grabbing it instead of my 81 Standard LP. I did put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge of the SE and I would say that you would maybe want to put in the pickup you most prefer. I also coil tapped mine. Anywho, lots of guitar for $600 IMO.

100_2499.jpg

100_2476.jpg

100_2478.jpg

• Members

All of the SE s that I have played (in shop only) have felt toy-ish. I guess I am conditioned by other South Korean guitars with big poly finishes, Heavy = quality. I really want to try and like a Korina SE though.

• Members

I was really wanting one of the SE Custom 24's after I picked one up for a few seconds at GC while there for a lunch break string run. It felt light and the tremolo felt solid. Then again, I still have the urge to whammy out Ed style, so the Ibanez S 25th Anniversary next to it turned my head for a minute also. I really could love many new guitars!

Somewhere along the line, probly cause the only appealing Gibsons to me are the double cutaways, I've switched to wanting a Santana SE. Looked ugly at first, but now it has grown on me. I want it for the 24 1/12 scale, and figure locking tuners and nut sauce (and extra slack from the scale) could allow me to get most of my whammy needs (range) out of my main guitar. These days I trade out for a floyded stunt guitar. I thought with a EVH Frankenstein in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck I could get away with one ripping but toneful guitar.

Plus it looks a bit more carved than the other SE's. I dig the Yellow, but like the Black almost more...it's got a Pino Palladino (playing "Vultures" by the John Mayer Trio) in a black suit vibe..."Been here before, son...I'm on it..."

• Members

SE's are nice guitars, especially for their range. I much, much, much prefer the USA models. The SE's obviously have a similar shape but the curvature is different, they're much more flat. It's not like how Epi Les Pauls are basically the same body as Gibsons. USA models feel more 'solid' in that they're heavier and have better hardware.

• Members

All of the SE s that I have played (in shop only) have felt toy-ish.

That was my impression of my SE Soapbar II when I got my SAS. My SE doesn't play or sound like a toy, though. It's just the fact that it's so much lighter than my SAS that makes it seem that way.

• Members

Lighter weight is not a bad thing in any respect.

Back on topic, I agree with most of this thread. I have a Santana SE and a CE-22. The USA model has a carved top, better pickups. locking tuners, more options for pickup switching, better finish, etc. Definitely a better guitar, but the SE is very good value for money, I do like it better than Epi Les Pauls (other than the Elite/Elitist line).

• Members

I really like mine. I've only played a Mira briefly for comparison, and it was a nice guitar but IMO not 3x as nice... I put 57's in the Korina and they sound lovely.

IMG_0218.jpg

I've had 2 SE's - a second gen Santana that felt fantastic, but had a ghost note problem on the B string that nothing could fix, and a single cut Soapbar just like that one, which I would love to have back. Both had the wide-fat neck shape, which I find very comfy (the current Custom 24 SE's, along with some others, have the thin neck, btw).

I've also been lucky enough to come into 2 USA PRS's over the years on the cheap - a Custom 24 many years ago (long since gone), and my current #1, this '90 Standard 22, very well broken in by the previous owner and, save the 5-way switch which I despise, is nearly perfect for me.

DSCF2585.jpg

• Members

I have a transparent Cherry PRS SE Soapbar II that I bought as a scratch and dent at GC Totowa NJ a number of years ago. It's a perfectly good guitar that somebody gouged beside the bottom strap knob (a little auto touch-up paint was good enough for me). I saw the guys at GC passing it around an playing it. Car guys say, "The feel of the wheel is half the deal." Well, once I played that guitar I had to own it. I keep it in the office attached to my bedroom. I still play it a few times a week, usually for five or ten minutes early in the morning to make sure whatever I worked on the night before internalized.

Very light weight guitar. Perhaps too light. Simple like a Telecaster. Pups are noisey at loud volumes. The switch wasn't up to the quality of the rest of the hardware. The guitar likes a low action. I keep it low because it's what she likes, but I prefer it a bit higher. Guys with a lighter touch than I seem to enjoy it. For years, since I purchased it, anytime see a Korean made guitar I pick it up. I've never found one that I like better than this PRS SE.

Archived