7.25" fretboard radius - a good or bad thing?

bluesnapper

• Moderators

I like it, unless I'm trying to bend strings.

:idk:

I used to believe this until I stopped believing da internetz oracles, now I love 7.25" - 9.5" radii

[video=youtube;PCSFz_YycYA]

possibly one of the unwieldiest Strats out there, and he bends the {censored} out of 19-21

[video=youtube;4N82TLB03Vk]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I LOVE the 7.25" radius. After having plenty of Gibsons and various Superstrats throughout the years, I've quickly tired of too small neck profiles and flat shreddy fretboards. I have two guitars now, both Telecasters. One has a medium, fast, shouldered 'C' neck with a 7.25" radius and vintage frets. I love it. The other has a big, chunk old school full 'C' neck with a 9.25" radius and some smaller frets, and although it's much different, I love that one just as much. Very different, but 9.25" is now the flattest I'll go. For my style, a curvy radius is a huge benefit.

• Members

Gray is nice too. I have various guitars with various fretboard radii and I like them all. Nothing is ever really a deal breaker for me outside of completely unplayable and/or sounds like {censored}...or penis shaped, no wangcasters for me thank you very much. :thu:

• Members

Not a fan at all. I don't believe in the idea of a round radius making chording easier either. I play chords all the time on my 12" radius guitars without a problem but when I try to play anything even remotely complex with a 7.25 it just feels clunky and wrong to me. Like tiny little frets, they are one of those things that never made sense to me why they're still around.

• Members

Even though my first electric, that I played for 5 years constantly, was 7.25, and I got it set high(i do mean high..in a bad way) enough to execute some wide bends, I would never own another.

They DO bend out. It's not in dispute.....with most:facepalm:

9.5 to twelve is good, and I don't notice that much more chording comfort, BTW, w/the 7&1/4.

My fav is the compound radi hand crafted on my '76 and '81 Ibanez artists.

• Members

IDK, my 7.25 neck doesnt fret out even on high bends, and the action is pretty low
. I really think it's how you set up the guitar that determines this
. But hey. 9.5 is the most common now, so I suppose it's what most people prefer.

Nope. You can't "set up" the guitar neck, to do what it just cannot. You're logic is faulty. Yet you do acknowledge the popular radi..it's popular for good reason, that is, it's FUNCTIONAL.

• Members

IMO more fenders should have 12 radii. My Deluxe players strat feels better in my hands than pretty much any other strat I've played and I attribute a lot of that to the 12" radius.

thats too far the other way. 9.5-10 is perfect. Some G&Ls have 12" I could probably get used to.

also, its usually combined with tiny frets, if you play the roadworn that has 7.25 with medium frets and it plays like a 9.5.

I blame frets.

And, like rounder radii, bigger frets can always be filed down. When I get my 52RI refretted Im gonna have the tech give me a flatter 9.5, with medium frets filed lower on the high strings. Its gonna be KILLER!!! Its allready killer as is, vintage frets/7.25, but its gonna go buckwild jefry dalmer killer. when it gets back! Lorve that guitar...

• Members

thats too far the other way. 9.5-10 is perfect. Some G&Ls have 12" I could probably get used to.

also, its usually combined with tiny frets, if you play the roadworn that has 7.25 with medium frets and it plays like a 9.5.

I blame frets.

And, like rounder radii, bigger frets can always be filed down. When I get my 52RI refretted Im gonna have the tech give me a flatter 9.5, with medium frets filed lower on the high strings. Its gonna be KILLER!!! Its allready killer as is, vintage frets/7.25, but its gonna go buckwild jefry dalmer killer. when it gets back! Lorve that guitar...

i got a ridiculous deal on my 50s Classic Tele, otherwise i'd probably have gone with a flatter radius. that said, i haven't had any problems with the small frets and 7.25" radius and bending. course, it's got 11s on it with a Bigsby, so there's just so much bending you're gonna do on that one. but i figure that when the frets wear out, i can go stainless and bump up to mediums. and if the fretboard gets re-plained, then great.

• Members

Which chords are easier on a 7.25" radius? Power chords? Cowboy chords? Certainly not complicated jazz chords! I struggle not to accidentally mute out strings on anything other than a wide board with a 12" radius - easiest on my Gibsons, but good on my SRV Strat too.

• Members

Which chords are easier on a 7.25" radius? Power chords? Cowboy chords? Certainly not complicated jazz chords! I struggle not to accidentally mute out strings on anything other than a wide board with a 12" radius - easiest on my Gibsons, but good on my SRV Strat too.

Power chords, cowboy chords, and barre chords. And certainly complicated jazz chords. So... all chords.

But I'm just going by personal experience. I played 9.5" fretboards for 24 years. Recently switched to 7.25". Did chords get easier? Yes.

• Members

The kind of science that uses facts. You know,
science

Hold your hand up, relaxed. Are your fingers curved? Yes they are.

Now stick your fingers straight up.

Which position was more comfortable?

Power chords, cowboy chords, and barre chords. And certainly complicated jazz chords. So... all chords.

But I'm just going by personal experience. I played 9.5" fretboards for 24 years. Recently switched to 7.25". Did chords get easier? Yes.

You have a strange definition of science.

The fact is I don't make barre chords wil the soft front of my finger and if I try it is more difficult than using the edge of my finger.

Archived